Shaft's Extreme Truck Makeover

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
Shaft

Shaft's Extreme Truck Makeover

Post by Shaft »

Maybe not too extreme, but now that the weather is cool I am going to start working on my truck again. I'm upgrading the stereo system and will be installing a Predator 10k in the next few weeks. This journal will be to provide pictures of the build.
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Re: Shaft's Extreme Truck Makeover

Post by drdx »

Tell us more. Is the general in the hospital yet? Any amplification plans? Aren't you running a whip now? When I was down your way I saw more whips in one parking lot than I'd seen in a long time. Those folks know what works and are not allergic to height for sure.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

drdx wrote:When I was down your way I saw more whips in one parking lot than I'd seen in a long time.
More whips than in Bozo's bedroom. :r&r:

The General hasn't gone to the hospital yet and may not go until after the holidays. I'm planning on running my Cobra 29 with the RFX-75 and just the Predator 10k for the time being. The only amps going in are two JL Audio 300/2's. I'll post some pics here in a few minutes of what I've done today.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Headliner cut out for the AudioControl EQL.

AudioControl EQL flush mounted in the headliner.

4 ga. power wire coming into the back of the cab. Dynamat Xtreme on the back wall.

4 ga. power and ground. 140 amp circuit breaker.

4 ga. ground added to the electrical system.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

Nice, yeah you know it is really all about the install. I know that not everyone can be a master level installer, I'm definitely not, but if you take your time it always shows. I'd rather see a simple clean install any day than a messy one with bigger stuff. I think the install says a lot about the whole thing. This week in dumpster diving, I scored a bunch of that black conduit, some small, some large, in nice long runs. It makes me want to install something, but I just don't know what.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

Great clean lookin install bud, keep them comin let us see how it all turns out
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Here's the amprack I built today. I need to clean it up a little bit. Still waiting on the sub to come in, but it will be pretty simple to add it since all the hard work is done. Just my luck, when I turned everything on, my CD players decided it was time to die. Oh well. I'll get a new one someday.

JL Audio 300/2 amplifiers. Lighting Audio power distributing block.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

The puck mount from Radio Active came in today. Weather permitting I'll install it tomorrow. Still waiting on the sub and the P-10k to come in.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Going to try and install this thing. I went to Northern Tool to buy a new unibit to cut the hole larger. That cost me more than the puck did and almost as much as the antenna. Oh well, it's a tool for life. :) I'll post some pictures later.
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

I love my puck mount. Are you SURE you're aren't planning to amplify? I think you're sanbagging us on that. Let's see........10k, puck, lots of planning.

-drdx

-drdx
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

OK, here are today's pics. Enjoy.

8" Bosch saw blade.

Boring the hole to fit the 1 1/14" puck.

Paper template was made by photo copying the puck mount.

Hole in the roof from where the Wilson 1000 was.

Boring the roof hole out to 1 1/4".

Antenna and mounting holes.

Puck mount and saw blade bolted in.

Gold ring terminal for center of coax. Silver terminal for coax shielding.

Coax attached to mount.

Finished puck mount.
Texas Mobil 219
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 78

Post by Texas Mobil 219 »

HOLLY SMOKES. I can see the Preditor now. LOL
219 Swinging on 108'' in Texas. NO SPRINGS AND ALL STAINLESS. MFJ-1966
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
Send your signal to the world
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Shaft wrote:Image
Finished puck mount.
Maybe I'll forget the P-10k and keep that stop sign I've got up there. :lol:
BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

looks great man , how long did it take ya to get that stop sign up there lol
shooter
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by shooter »

i like your choice of eq there. audio control has made some of the finest audio electronics out there . i have an eql and two eqt's in the closet . do you have an epi -center ? if not, get one they are amazing .
looking good

nice stop sign , should get a good swr .............
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

shooter wrote:i like your choice of eq there. audio control has made some of the finest audio electronics out there . i have an eql and two eqt's in the closet . do you have an epi -center ? if not, get one they are amazing .
looking good

nice stop sign , should get a good swr .............
I'm a car audio professional and once even discussed going to work for AudioControl. One system I had a 24XS, 2 EQT's, Epicenter, and one of the first FOUR.1's ever made. I sold all of that equipment a while back. I have an Epicenter and ESP-2 sitting out in the garage and may eventually install them in this truck. Would love to get another FOUR.1i.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

I routed the coax today.

Coax and ground strap routed through the frame of the B pillar.

Ground strap screwed into body of truck.

Just for grins I hooked up a 48" Firestick I've got. SWR on it was about 2:1 on 19, which is about the best I've ever seen from that antenna. Maybe I should stick with the stop sign.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

22" Predator 10k baby!

Wow, this antenna has tuned good. I got it down flat on 1 and 1.2 on 40. Shortened it a little more and got about 1.05:1 on 1 and 1.1:1 on 40. When I checked it with the meter on my Cobra 29 with the RXF75 (dead key about 15 watts) I was still getting a low 1 on 1, 2 on 19, and almost 3 on 40. I'll try to work on it more later, but now I LOVE IT!

Now all I need is my subwoofer box and to get my General Lee fixed.
rayray1963

Post by rayray1963 »

Love the install Shaft, your professionalism is showing. Your going to love that 10k.................

Ray
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

I took the truck out and was wrong about the SWR using the internal meter on my 29. and was getting about 1.2 on 1, 1.5 on 19, and 1.7 on 40. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm going leave it there.

Went and drove around and killed a few trees. Here's what my stinger looks like now.

I've been told that the ears on a P-10k are great, but I think it is too good. Seriously, someone needs to make a mod that will filter out US Marshall's and Nature Boy's diarrhea of the mouth.
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

It looks like we'll have to go to plan B (whatever that is) for the subwoofer. The ebay deal turned out to be a fluke. At least I got my money back on it.
Texas Mobil 219
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Uniden 78

Post by Texas Mobil 219 »

Shaft:

Thats 10k looks great. Great job on the install.

Cant wait to here you out there man.
219 Swinging on 108'' in Texas. NO SPRINGS AND ALL STAINLESS. MFJ-1966
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES
Send your signal to the world
drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx »

I wonder if you have the older 10k stinger. The older ones are more "bendy" or so I've heard. I have one of each, and my older one is easier to bend while my newer one has more bounce back to it before bending. I think jesse james mentioned that on here somewhere. Either way, I bet it works great, as any nicely mounted high efficiency antenna would in that optimum mounting location. Now, about that am. It is time. Both the GL and an rx75'd cobra would push a 4 pill nicely.

-drdx

-drdx
linx

Post by linx »

We've always told everyone how killer the 10k's are.

There's trees in Texas? I thought it was all flat desert. (just kidding).
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

linx wrote:We've always told everyone how killer the 10k's are.

There's trees in Texas? I thought it was all flat desert. (just kidding).
I live in Southeast Texas, which is home to the Sam Houston National Forrest, as opposed to West Texas; home to tumbleweeds and cactus.