magnet or puck mount???

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

magnet or puck mount???

Post by p38 »

Well its coming close too the time this mud duck installs the jet pack in the jeep... get off the ground alot better .in doing this I've been thinking ALOT which we all know is dangerous for public safety, I will be takin down the k40 and storing it safely away I have a Wilson 1000 ready too go but with the way I run the coax I'm begining too think a puck mount be be the best route . Only issue is I HATE DRILLING HOLES IN MY VEHICLES they always leak...which is why I don't! But which perfoms best?
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.
PA629

Re: magnet or puck mount???

Post by PA629 »

Apples and oranges. The puck mount will out-perform the magmount hands down simply due to the mechanical/electrical connection to the vehicle as compared to the capacitive coupling to ground the maggie uses.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The puck performs best. You don't see a serious operator with a mag mount. As long as you cut the holes properly and use silicone it will not leak. As you said a lot more damage will be caused by a mag mount falling off at 65.

I understand not wanting to drill a hole but think about the damage the magnet can do to the roof and the coax flopping in the breeze against your paint. You get a better performing cleaner install. Your coax will last longer than the vehicle since it wont be exposed to the elements any more.
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

Post by p38 »

Thanks gentleman , definitely food for thought I'll have too do more reaserch into the puck mount .maybe someone has a grandcherokee with pictures of the install? Mines a 01
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lost Ram
Antenna: 570' Loop with 600 ohm open feed line
Radio: Yaesu FTDX 101 MP / TRC-450

Post by Lost Ram »

I see you have the crossbow mentioned in your signature. That is a super awesome .64 antenna, I left mine at a house I sold thinking I could just get another one but I WAS SO WRONG. If you ever decide to get rid of it or find another let me know please. This is likely the one best antenna of its time (or now??) and was a Radio Shack product, go figure that with how they are today.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I am planning on installing a puck on the roof of my Grand Cherokee as soon as my daughter gets out of college and I get the vehicle back, by that time I will have figured out how to take the headliner out and put it back without any problems.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

I always like to use the dome light area if I can. This worked out great in my durango, you could not even see it inside. I used the eyelets instead of the PL-259 so the coax came out the side. From there I ran it over to the pillar and down behind the pillar trim then under the door threshold molding before going under the dash to the center counsel where the DX55V was mounted. OH!!! I also made a pit stop and the bottom of the pillar trim with a barrel connector because I knew my 6 pill was going in it along with my 2 pill to drive it. This was all done at the rear door pillar not the front.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
Deleted User 14541

Careful about just putting it in the most convenient place as it may tune better somewhere else. I'd use a mag mount base to find the the sweet spot before you drill the hole. I remember when I drilled my roof. I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach looking down at the back seat through the 1 1/4" hole in the roof. I'm glad I did and would gladly do it again.

I'd definitely use the lug connectors instead of the pl259. Takes up less space and is a better connection. A few ferrite beads around the coax as close to the puck as you can put them is a good preventative for common mode current later on. Be sure to sand the under side of the roof to bare metal so it gets good connection to the backing plate. Some dielectric grease or anti oxidant compound between the backing plate and on the mounting bolts is good insurance as well.

There was a pic of a good way to make the puck connection floating around. Courtesy of 555 (North Texas Mudduck). The shield was spread out into 2 ring terminals and connected to the puck bolts. Made a solid and clean connection. I used the idea when I did mine. Solder everything.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

Also be sure there are no supports you are going through!!! I had to put mine about 2" forward due to this but was still able to access my dome light hole which is about 1/2 way-ish to the center of vehicle and not roof area. Thats a great idea about using the mag to find the sweet spot, I never thought about that when drilling mine. I had to quick get it done before the wife changed her mind LOL. In all honesty she lets me do a lot of this radio stuff as long as its not ugly looking.
Thomas Jefferson.
Deleted User 14541

Lost Ram wrote:In all honesty she lets me do a lot of this radio stuff as long as its not ugly looking.
Better hang on to her. My old lady doesn't really care either but I know some guys that barely get to put up an antenna.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

I plan to!! Thats for sure!! I learned long ago to listen and to understand instead of being heard and understood. It seems to go so much better with the first part of that.
Thomas Jefferson.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The dome lights in my Grand Cherokee are over the rear doors, not in the center so the headliner does have to come down. I will be using RG213 coax since I have plenty on hand. Yes, lugs on the coax to keep it tight to the roof. Wasn't thinking of using beads on it since it was such a short run but seems like a good idea. The sweet spot on my Jeep is just where the roof ridge's start, at least the best place using a magnet mount, just hate how the coax is ran.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

I just put the beads around the coax as insurance. They stopped the rfi problems I was having with the antenna mounted on a riser behind the cab so I knew the mix was effective. They are the snap on style sold by a local store. I even have them at the feedpoint of my base antenna.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

The 43 type and the 77 type ferrite cores around the smaller type rg-8x coax works great at stopping RF outside line, I put the 43 toward the antenna first.
Thomas Jefferson.