102" Whip on a Freightliner Cascadia

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: CocoTheGorilla
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: cobra 25 ltd classic

102" Whip on a Freightliner Cascadia

Post by mty pocketz »

A while back my 5' Everhardt antenna decided to break, so I installed a Monkey-Made. However, because of the way the Cascadia is made, there's no way to bring down the high SWR caused by the door post.
So, I recently installed a 102" whip. I am very impressed with the results!!! The only thing is, I had to add a small diameter PVC pipe about 3' long over the antenna in order to keep it from whipping around so much. It looks odd, but it works to keep it from flying around everywhere.
Now, I just need to get the SWR checked
"America will never be defeated from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves" -Abraham Lincoln

Re: 102" Whip on a Freightliner Cascadia

Post by 231 »

I'm surprised you couldn't get the MM tuned. But hey we do what we must. I can't imagine how tall that thing is on your truck!? :lol:
Likely you bring new meaning to, "Height = Might!" 8)

My screwdriver antenna sits about 14-1/2' high when fully extended (bottom of 80m band) and it finds everything! But...that's on a 4-wheeler, not a big rig.

Glad it's working out...and sometimes things like you did create personality. So when someone asks what it is, tell them "it's pure performance!" LOL

Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by »

231 wrote:So when someone asks what it is, tell them "it's pure performance!" LOL
And always remember...If you can't impress them with brilliance...baffle them with double-talk..

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hey mty pocketz,
If the 102" is working search the web for a 36" riser, that will keep the bottom of the antenna stiff and just cut the whip to length or a couple more bucks and get a fighting stick, they don't flex.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
wjm1129
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: None
Antenna: T2lt k40 open coil
Radio: Uniden GrantXL Road King rkcb

Post by wjm1129 »

I also use a 102 on a Cascadia and i have a piece of nylon rope tied to the antenna and the fender mirror. This keeps the antenna from flopping around and banging into the cab.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Hey Duke, you'll be easier to spot passing through Knoxville now. I'll keep my eyes open for a swift tractor with a 102! Stay safe on the highway my friend. :cheers:
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
mty pocketz
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: CocoTheGorilla
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: cobra 25 ltd classic

Post by mty pocketz »

Its not actually as high as you'd think. I've got it angled and the mount is at about 5'6"-5'9" off the ground, so tthe tip is only about 11-12 feet until it flexes a bit. The small diameter PVC pipe at the bottom several feet helps with some of the flex, but after some really bad winds, I had to add a bungee, which works great. Before the high winds, it flexed and stood up pretty strait at the end and put it at about 13'6", but I couldn't risk it whipping over and smacking another truck while being passed. For me, the string tied to the corner mirror helped temporarily for the afternoon, but still flexed too much out to the side
"America will never be defeated from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves" -Abraham Lincoln
craig_sez
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: predator 10k
Radio: stryker 955

Post by craig_sez »

Come winter time its gonna be worse..When it cakes over with ice n so on that thing will sway like a m/f..
southwind

Post by southwind »

:bounce: Duke, like they always say, if it work's go with it. Thought you might know that they also make PVC pipe in a " schedule 40" which is used in outside water connections to keep from freezing. You might consider because the chance of wind whipping would be much less than probably what you currently have. Most any plumbing supply carries it, JMHO. Hope this helps and good luck from Georgia Dawg country. Last, 3's to you/yours. :cheers: