Wilson or Sirio?

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Name: Guy
Cell Phone: 504-231-8254

Wilson or Sirio?

Post by DevilDog66 » Monday, 28 December 2015, 23:48 PM

I just got a Uniden 980 SSB and an RM KL203P. The antenna I'm running is a "57 K40 magnet mount. I havent hooked up the new radio with the amp yet but I am wondering which antenna to get? The K40 is okay and I know it can handle the power that would be running throught it, however, I want a longer antenna for better recv and range, but I can not put a "102 whip which would be ideal. So, I was looking at a Sirio 5000 Performer but I think thats a little too much antenna. I would not be putting that kind of power through it so I was also considerring the Megawatt 4000 or the Wilson 1000. Unfortunately I can not put up an antenna at my house for a base station since I rent so I have to be mobile. I appreciate any comment or info about these antennas.
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Wilson or Sirio?

Post by 1206FL » Tuesday, 29 December 2015, 3:54 AM

The sirio 5000 performer is a great antenna. Don't mind the power ratings. The new Wislom antennas have been suffering from a lot of QC issues! Supposedly they cleaned up a bit, but I don't trust them one bit!! Sirio is a well made antenna and at 6.5ft is about as close to a 108" setup without using a 102" whip and spring, riser, or a coil antenna of the same height or taller than the sirio 5000 performer.
If you are planning on running this as a mag mount setup skip the sirio mount and get a tri or quad mag mount with some good coax. LMR240uf is good stuff and is flexible as well. Most of the stuff that comes stock will be fine for your size setup. Reason I say skip the sirio mount is that a good triple or quadruple mag mount will give you s better hold onto the roof of the vehicle and this helps with overall performance believe it or not. A one hole 3" aluminum puck **NON-SPONSOR** mount with terminal ends on the bottom and a UHF connector up top would be the optimal setup with use of the sirio performer 5000, either the base or the 8" shaft one would work well if installed correctly.
For everyday use, and a solid setup I'll say this. The sirio PL145 mag mount and performer 5000 base loaded antenna make for a good combo for most vehicles and the stock coax will handle the radio and amp you are using. If it were my vehicle, I would still a hole and be done. They are very simple to cover when you're done with the mount and antenna. Not hard to cover a 5/8" hole actually. And that is all that is needed for the one hole **NON-SPONSOR** mounts. There are other mounts as well, but I've not heard one bad thing ever said about a **NON-SPONSOR** mount and they are well made!! Here is a photo of the mount I speak of. And also yes the sirio is a better antenna the Wilson IMO. Had both and the sirio performer 5000 beat it on both rx and tx. It is a tall antenna at 6.5ft. And the bottom section is nice as well. I own a few of them! Anyway. A photo of the **NON-SPONSOR** mount and then a photo of the sirio PL145 mag mount with the sirio performer 5000. Hope this helps. Also my coax has been replaced with LMR240, made by Andrew. Not so much for power and such, just better shielding and also good UV protection built into the outer jacket. Here you go.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386227.316243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386244.774939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386252.679074.jpg
And the sirio performer 5000 with the PL145 mag mount and Andrew lmr240 coax.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Tuesday, 29 December 2015, 4:07 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386613.861348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386681.478971.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451386735.305679.jpg
Here you go. Don't have a Wilson 5000 on hand to compare it to size wise. It's taller for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Tuesday, 29 December 2015, 4:17 AM

I started with a K40 mag mount then moved to the Wilson 5000. I had a very old one that I used. It's not a newer one made by Barjan. I then switched the performer 5000 and mag mount (PL145), as I couldn't get a tri or quad mount to fit between the railings on the roof of my vehicle. All that aside, even with the stock mag mount coax and setup, I was able to run 3-400 watts through it. It's about the very max I would push through the stock coax. I had the LMR240 laying around so I used it did and am happy I did. Again. Hope some of this helps. Also look at the size difference between the K40, Wilson, and sirio PL-145 mag mounts. Image
The way I listed them above is how they are in place from left to right. PL145 is the largest. Anyway. Good luck, and check the sponsors here first as I am pretty sure they sell the performer 5000's and the mag mounts as well. Might come as a combo deal and save some money. Great antenna all around is about best I can say about it. They work well for what they are. I've made contacts all over the world including Australia all while driving at 70-75mph on the highway!! Talk about fun!!! Have a good day and good lick with whatever you choose.

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Tuesday, 29 December 2015, 4:54 AM

1206 covered it. The Sirio P5000 is a better performer than the Wilson 1000/5000, I've used both. The Sirio 5000 is a bit taller, around 6-8" IIRC, the Sirio 4000 is taller still. The P5000's are much quieter than the Wilson's, less background noise. As far as magmounts, I have used the P5000 on a Wilson magmount on two different vehicles and positions (roof mount & trunk mount) and the ONLY issue I ever had was the antenna tipped after after whacking a low tree branch in pouring rain (it was wet under the magnet) on the trunk mount. I've never had any problem with the PL145 Sirio maggie. But as 1206 stated, the puck mount is the ideal way to go.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Tuesday, 29 December 2015, 23:03 PM

Thanks for the help fella's. CBRT members are the best! I'll probably wind up buying a Sirio Megawatt 4000 since it is a tad bit longer than the Performer or Turbo 5000 models. It also tilts down like the others, but with a special key. The only difference I can see is length, cost, and how they tilt down. The performance from either appears to be phenominal. DNJ Radio will be getting a call from me soon! :mrgreen:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Wednesday, 30 December 2015, 2:36 AM

The megawatt 4000 is a great antenna as well. Have one of them too. I just liked the performer better overall. Both sport a 3.5mm whip at the base of the whip, tapered obviously. The old sirio performer 5000's had a bit thicker whip at 4mm and they stood up better riding down the highway. I like a bit stiffer whip and the megawatt 4000 whip was just too long and thin and bent over too much at hwy speeds for my liking. Great DX antenna while parked though!!! Not sure about the new rigid 4000 series or whether they even tilt or not. I have 3 performer 5000's. One is modded with a 102" whip cut down, the other 2 are stock. A megawatt 4000 and a turbo 5000 as well. I like them all but my favorite is the performer 5000 over all. Just easy to use and it tilts or completely comes off in about 30 seconds or less. I can take just about the entire antenna off in this time. All that is left is the bottom mounting section of the antenna. At any rate you will like the 4000 as well. Like I said they are all great antennas and are well built. I just didn't like the key deal on the 4000 as if you lose it you're screwed or have to use some needle nose pliers to get your antenna off! Just my experience. Good day.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Wednesday, 30 December 2015, 2:43 AM

Also be advised that you need to maintain the mag mount. I.E., take it off the vehicle and clean under it and check for any moisture! This should be done after a hard rain or if it's been wet out. Just some things to consider vs going with a hard mount vs a magnet mounted antenna. Drill it once and be done if you can!! That is the best way to do it. And it will actually create less damage to the vehicle in the end. The hole can be covered very easily. Fading of paint, scratches and so forth go along with having a magnet mount antenna. Just keep this in mind. And also drilling a small hole will not decrease the value of your vehicle either!! So don't be afraid to drill it if you can!! Again, JMHO.

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Wednesday, 30 December 2015, 7:02 AM

I would go with the Sirio's, nothing beat length when it comes to 11m, rule of thumb, start with the longest and work your way shorter but nothing shorter than 4ft. I prefer to go with a 3/8 24 mount because it gives you a wider range of antennas.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Saturday, 16 April 2016, 2:02 AM

Just thought I'd post an update........sold a Midland 1001 LWX & a 3ft Firestik "Fire Fly" magnet mount combo and pulled the trigger on a Sirio Performer 5000 and mag mount from one of our sponsors DNJ Radios this morning! I can't wait for it to arrive WOOOHOOOO!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :compress: :compress: :compress: should arrive this Friday!!!! Now, all I have to do is get my 980 SSB fixed :cry: oh well, I do have a portable hand held Uniden I can hook it up to, either way I'll have a SIRIO 5000!!!!!!!

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Saturday, 16 April 2016, 2:58 AM

You'll be happy with the Sirio performer 5k devildog66! It will surely do better than the K40. Been there and done that. The Sirio performer 5k is about as close to a 102" whip and spring as you will get with a base/center loaded antenna like it. They do work well if you tune them right. Normally takes about 1/4"-1/2" of whip or a bit more. I say normally as every install is different. At any rate, great antenna, and they do work way better than a K40 as the whip is a lot taller. And like MD stated, height is might. You may also find that you might not need to or want to cut any of the whip. But like I said, every one I have or have installed has been long and needed to be shortened. A set of bolt cutters, disc grinder, band saw, or even a good hacksaw will cut the whip. Take your time and cut in small increments. 1/8"-1/4" max at a time.
Enjoy the new antenna. And don't worry the radio will get fixed or they will send a new or refurbished one out. Like said, it's most likely the final that had blown as this is a known weak area of this radio. And like said they do get hot. Keeping them cool is as simple as turning the power back some, turning the bias voltage back to proper levels of they are set too high or add a fan or small heat sink to the back. I would add a small fan if you are going to be rag chewing a lot with it. Also if you don't use the internal speaker take it out. It will allow a lot more heat to escape as well. Just some things that will help ensure the radio keeps working. I've had mine for about 3-4 years now and it hasn't had any issues. I did turn the DK back to 3w and also the SSB power to about 8w pep. This has helped a lot with keeping the final cool. Again, just what I have done and what I have seen others do.
As long as the radio is under warranty they'll fix it. I know it sucks being without it when you get new stuff. It's always good to keep a couple of back up radios, as you never know when something can happen. JMHO about that. And it will keep you from possibly damaging your good new radio by using an old one to tune the antenna. Again, JMO.
Like I said, I think you'll be very happy with the Sirio performer 5k. Enjoy it!!

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Name: Mark
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Friday, 06 May 2016, 17:43 PM

1206FL wrote:You'll be happy with the Sirio performer 5k devildog66! It will surely do better than the K40. Been there and done that. The Sirio performer 5k is about as close to a 102" whip and spring as you will get with a base/center loaded antenna like it. They do work well if you tune them right. Normally takes about 1/4"-1/2" of whip or a bit more. I say normally as every install is different. At any rate, great antenna, and they do work way better than a K40 as the whip is a lot taller. And like MD stated, height is might. You may also find that you might not need to or want to cut any of the whip. But like I said, every one I have or have installed has been long and needed to be shortened. A set of bolt cutters, disc grinder, band saw, or even a good hacksaw will cut the whip. Take your time and cut in small increments. 1/8"-1/4" max at a time.
Enjoy the new antenna. And don't worry the radio will get fixed or they will send a new or refurbished one out. Like said, it's most likely the final that had blown as this is a known weak area of this radio. And like said they do get hot. Keeping them cool is as simple as turning the power back some, turning the bias voltage back to proper levels of they are set too high or add a fan or small heat sink to the back. I would add a small fan if you are going to be rag chewing a lot with it. Also if you don't use the internal speaker take it out. It will allow a lot more heat to escape as well. Just some things that will help ensure the radio keeps working. I've had mine for about 3-4 years now and it hasn't had any issues. I did turn the DK back to 3w and also the SSB power to about 8w pep. This has helped a lot with keeping the final cool. Again, just what I have done and what I have seen others do.
As long as the radio is under warranty they'll fix it. I know it sucks being without it when you get new stuff. It's always good to keep a couple of back up radios, as you never know when something can happen. JMHO about that. And it will keep you from possibly damaging your good new radio by using an old one to tune the antenna. Again, JMO.
Like I said, I think you'll be very happy with the Sirio performer 5k. Enjoy it!!
Agree with the Sirio..
didn't you run a Sirio on top of a tall van? if so how did it fair with tree limbs and such?
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

772 alberta
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Rci 2990 on 10-11mtr
Antenna: Homebrew 1/2wave
Name: Rich

Post by 772 alberta » Saturday, 07 May 2016, 8:13 AM

Sounds like no one likes the newer Wilson's . I own the older ones. I like them a lot. I am a fan of running a larger loading coil. And a true ground at the feed point is far better than a mag-mount on paint.
Long story short get a older Wilson 2000 trucker and then you can mount it anywhere.

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Icom 746
Antenna: Sirio Vecotor 4K
Name: Sean McCarthy

Post by 222DBFL » Saturday, 07 May 2016, 13:02 PM

Yes I did silvereage1. I used it on a tall work van. The antenna tip faired well as long as the hits weren't too often. Then it would bend at the tip. But it is easily bent back.
I even went as far as to make one with a 102" whip with the Sirio performer base. It worked good, but it was just too tall on the work van for mobile use as it was quite rigid and didn't give. The newer Sirio performer antennas have a smaller diameter whip as well. 3.5mm vs. the old 4mm whips. Doesn't seem like much, but the older whips are better IMO. They bent less.
I now have been cutting my Sirio antennas from the top and not the bottom as to keep it a bit thicker at least. It tunes the same by cutting it either way I have found. For a regular van like an E350 or something, the Sirio performer 5k works excellent. I installed one with a **NON-SPONSOR** mount onto my current work van which is an E350, and it works well. Talked out to 30 miles on about 8-10 watts of pep on SSB. Mobile back to a base. Was able to hear base for about 45 miles before he dropped out. I dropped out at about 35 miles. But at 30 miles was still making the trip well enough to get 100% of the qso. Radio was a de tuned uniden 980. Power on SSB has been set back to about 8-10 watts pep max.
Also on a side note 2 brand new Wilson 5k antennas would not tune below 1.7:1 VSWR anywhere across 11m band. This was done with a stock whip, a cut down one and also a longer then stock whip. Neither would tune. Pulled out an old Wilson 5k and it worked great. 1:1 VSWR and R and X were perfect as well. But I have also heard that as of late their quality has been a bit better. The Sirio antennas have all worked well for me, from the 4000HP, to the performer 5k and a turbo 5k, for mobile antennas. The base antennas have all been good to me and others I know that have them as well.
But as far as the Sirio 5k performer, they are a well made antenna worth the money. That is JMHO.

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Saturday, 07 May 2016, 15:14 PM

So far I have been using a Uniden HH401 hooked up to my Sirio 5000 and am able to talk at least 6-8 miles out! The furthest I got was about 12 miles, but I think that had a lot to do with the weather that day. I am definitely hooked on Sirio. I can't wait to see what this thing does on my 980/RM Italy KL203P. 8)

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Galaxy DX-979
Antenna: Sirio Fighter 5000
Name: Keith Goodman
Home Phone: 828-298-7952
Cell Phone: 828-699-6315

Post by army1975 » Sunday, 08 May 2016, 10:49 AM

772 alberta wrote:Sounds like no one likes the newer Wilson's . I own the older ones. I like them a lot. I am a fan of running a larger loading coil. And a true ground at the feed point is far better than a mag-mount on paint.
Long story short get a older Wilson 2000 trucker and then you can mount it anywhere.
reckin I have to step up to the plate for kudos on the newer Wilson. the ears I be running and doing me a fine job. no problem a tall with it. reckin a soul just needs to know how to treat it. :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL » Monday, 09 May 2016, 4:38 AM

The ones I messed with were brand new. Both of them. This has been a couple years ago. At the time, my local pal had purchased 2 brand new ones and could not get them to tune below about 1.7:1 VSWR at 27.400. Like I said he even went as far as to buy longer and shorter whips to try those as well as cutting the stock whip a bit.
I brought an old one over that I know was well over 15yrs old. I had already cut a bit off the whip as I had it mounted on another vehicle. At any rate with a bit of fine tuning it tuned excellent using an mfj269c.
But like I said, I have heard that the newer ones are better as in QC. That is a good thing. I just know the Sirio antennas have not given me an issue on any one of the 5-10 I've tuned. All work well and do a good job for what they are. The old Wilson I had was a good antenna, but the Sirio is a bit taller and height helps. Maybe not much. But it was noticeable to me anyway. Better RX and TX. At any rate, it's just my experience with the Wilson antennas I have messed with as of late. I do still like the old one and still have it hanging in the garage.

The DB
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Name: Steve

Post by The DB » Monday, 09 May 2016, 5:48 AM

Wilson antennas were sold to a company that couldn't care less about quality. They were sold again a few years ago, and from what I understand the newer company does care about quality, and does a much better job. Around the time that Wilson antennas were made poorly Sirio antennas were beginning to be available here in the us. Many people made the switch.

From every report between the two antennas I am aware of, the Sirio antennas always outperform the Wilsons. Its much like the old Wilson 1000/5000 vs K40 debate, only this time, when it comes to Wilson 5000 vs Sirio 5000, the Sirio wins performance wise. It makes sense though, the Wilson 1000/5000 is longer than the K40, and the Sirio is longer than the Wilson. There is no magic here, its just in mobile environments especially, length matters.

The DB

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Monday, 09 May 2016, 5:57 AM

just comes down to different strokes for different folks on antennas. my stroke is the Wilson 5000.

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Monday, 09 May 2016, 6:38 AM

army1975 wrote:just comes down to different strokes for different folks on antennas. my stroke is the Wilson 5000.
That's right...and there will always be a few " Mud-Ducks" swimming away into Neverland...
Sorry...couldn't pass-up! :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mr-B
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Name: Bill

Post by Mr-B » Monday, 09 May 2016, 10:13 AM

My favorite is the Wilson 1000....gets my signal out there better than anything else I have tried in the past 40 years

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Monday, 09 May 2016, 14:23 PM

jessejamesdallas wrote:
army1975 wrote:just comes down to different strokes for different folks on antennas. my stroke is the Wilson 5000.
That's right...and there will always be a few " Mud-Ducks" swimming away into Neverland...
Sorry...couldn't pass-up! :mrgreen:
yepper, and into the dumplins also

silvereagle1
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: President Lincoln 2
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Cell Phone: --------------

Post by silvereagle1 » Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 17:26 PM

222DBFL wrote:Yes I did silvereage1. I used it on a tall work van. The antenna tip faired well as long as the hits weren't too often. Then it would bend at the tip. But it is easily bent back.
I even went as far as to make one with a 102" whip with the Sirio performer base. It worked good, but it was just too tall on the work van for mobile use as it was quite rigid and didn't give. The newer Sirio performer antennas have a smaller diameter whip as well. 3.5mm vs. the old 4mm whips. Doesn't seem like much, but the older whips are better IMO. They bent less.
I now have been cutting my Sirio antennas from the top and not the bottom as to keep it a bit thicker at least. It tunes the same by cutting it either way I have found. For a regular van like an E350 or something, the Sirio performer 5k works excellent. I installed one with a **NON-SPONSOR** mount onto my current work van which is an E350, and it works well. Talked out to 30 miles on about 8-10 watts of pep on SSB. Mobile back to a base. Was able to hear base for about 45 miles before he dropped out. I dropped out at about 35 miles. But at 30 miles was still making the trip well enough to get 100% of the qso. Radio was a de tuned uniden 980. Power on SSB has been set back to about 8-10 watts pep max.
Also on a side note 2 brand new Wilson 5k antennas would not tune below 1.7:1 VSWR anywhere across 11m band. This was done with a stock whip, a cut down one and also a longer then stock whip. Neither would tune. Pulled out an old Wilson 5k and it worked great. 1:1 VSWR and R and X were perfect as well. But I have also heard that as of late their quality has been a bit better. The Sirio antennas have all worked well for me, from the 4000HP, to the performer 5k and a turbo 5k, for mobile antennas. The base antennas have all been good to me and others I know that have them as well.
But as far as the Sirio 5k performer, they are a well made antenna worth the money. That is JMHO.
Ha! I thought it was you :lol: I recognized the mag mount in the center picture being on your van in a picture you posted a while back. The reason I asked about the height is because I have a diamond 20 meter monoband that has a center load coil and is a lot taller than the Sirio. I've not had any issues yet but I worry about the sheet metal on my roof (hard mount) because the coil like I said is center loaded which makes the antenna STIFF at the bottoms first 20 inches or so. I think
The antenna is around 86 inches in height. I use the Sirio on 10/11 when bands are open just swap the two out as needed.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee

222DBFL
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by 222DBFL » Tuesday, 10 May 2016, 17:54 PM

As long as the van isn't a real high top it should be fine. Just keep an eye out for them branches that jump out at you[WINKING FACE]. But at at any rate, I never hit anything hard enough to have an issue. Just some tip bending.

Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL
Antenna: Dipole
Name: Junior

Post by Stoneman » Monday, 04 July 2016, 15:34 PM

Never had any Sirio antenna's, but the Wilson I had great results in...Have the 1000 on my truck, it get's out there...

TrblShooter
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Zerofive colossal
Name: Pete

Post by TrblShooter » Sunday, 10 July 2016, 10:07 AM

Stoneman wrote:Never had any Sirio antenna's, but the Wilson I had great results in...Have the 1000 on my truck, it get's out there...

I used to run a wilson 5000 back in the day, I heard a lot of great things about the sirio 5000 so I purchased a sirio turbo 5000 and it is everything that everyone has said.. I am happy with the purchase.. I am not totally setup yet in the mobile but I hooked it up just to test some radios and it is a terrific antenna..

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Sunday, 10 July 2016, 10:17 AM

switched over to the Sirio Fighter 5000 mag. mount from the Wilson 5000 mag. mount. as for myself, can't tell the difference between the two as far as performance but am going to stick with the Sirio because to me it is a better looking antenna on my lil pick-'em up truck. Wilson 5000 be a back up in case needed.

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Monday, 11 July 2016, 22:13 PM

I too have the Fighter edition Army, looks pretty good on my dark greenish looking Accord.

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Monday, 11 July 2016, 23:24 PM

DevilDog66 wrote:I too have the Fighter edition Army, looks pretty good on my dark greenish looking Accord.
is a good lookin antenna :cheers:

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 12 July 2016, 6:05 AM

Sirio now has one that blinks with modulation, if your into that.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole

325 lasvegas
Donor
Donor
Radio: RCI 2970N2
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Name: Steve
Cell Phone: 702-433-2223

Post by 325 lasvegas » Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 14:00 PM

I just ordered the 5000 Turbo yesterday. I'm eager to see how it pairs up with my new 2970n2. I've been using the same Wilson 1000 for the past 14 years.

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 15:44 PM

eventually will be ordering the Sirio Fighter 5000 again. HOOAH!!

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 19:03 PM

Good deal, glad to see your able to get up and running again. Most importantly is that your okay. 73's

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 19:16 PM

Is that the one with the blinking green LED ring?

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole

army1975
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by army1975 » Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 20:26 PM

DevilDog66 wrote:Good deal, glad to see your able to get up and running again. Most importantly is that your okay. 73's
thank ya DD. gots all the equipment, now gots to get it installed in the vehicle. Wilson 5000 will do for now.

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Wednesday, 14 December 2016, 9:23 AM

MDYoungblood wrote:Is that the one with the blinking green LED ring?

3's

Greg
The Fighter 5000 is the one with the camo base, I don't know what they call the LED model, probably the 5000L?

MunShine3X07
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Radio: Cobra something WX
Antenna: Sirio 2000PL
Name: MoonShiner

Post by MunShine3X07 » Tuesday, 27 December 2016, 17:34 PM

I picked up the Sirio Performer 2000 with the mag mount a few weeks ago. Out of the box, it tuned SWR at 1.05 so I didn't touch it. This is by far the best antenna I've owned. Still running a stock Cobra 18 and I'm hitting my buddies radio at S9 2.5 miles away. Well so he says. Anyway I'm chatting with guys running amps easily 12 miles away. I think I want the permanent mount for the low maintenance aspect. My Wilson coil connections were damaged by water easily getting past the sloppy applied partial bead of silicon sealant under the plastic housing. Wilson better get the quality together because this Sirio is all the talk here in the valley. Sample of what I have heard a couple of times, "oh you the one with the fancy Italian antenna". LOL YUP!

DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 » Wednesday, 28 December 2016, 4:36 AM

MunShine3X07 thats a great story. Another fine testament to Sirio antennas. I've had mine for about a year now and have no complaints whatsoever. I'm thinking of moving mine to a trunk DaveMade mount now that I have a VHF/UHF radio and antenna. I may center it on the trunk with the HAM antenna centered on the roof or maybe center the Sirio and mount the HAM antenna on either the left or right side of the trunk. Hmmmmmm.....

MunShine3X07
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Radio: Cobra something WX
Antenna: Sirio 2000PL
Name: MoonShiner

Post by MunShine3X07 » Wednesday, 28 December 2016, 22:48 PM

Thanks DD. Your review along with awesome specs got me to pull the trigger and be different than all the cookie cutter setups around here. No regrets at all.

Off to post something in the amps section.

RBR762
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Name: Robert

Post by RBR762 » Sunday, 01 January 2017, 18:29 PM

The 3"**NON-SPONSOR** puck works great but the bottom plate that screws on needs to be machined down another 1/8 on the sides so you can put a wrench on it.I like my stuff very tight. Robert

Speedloader
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Sirio Gain Master
Cell Phone: 6312555180

Post by Speedloader » Monday, 23 January 2017, 15:54 PM

I have the Sirio Gain Master for my base and love it. I tried to order the Sirio 5000 mag from DNJ Radio, (where I bought the base antennae), and they said they were out of them and expected more sometime in February. Going to order one then. Right now, I still have my Wilson 5000. I saw the video for the one with the green LED that lights up, but decided against it, because it lights up every time you key the mike. Who needs a neon sign for other drivers to be distracted, etc? LOL There are too many distractions as it is today.

(edited by MDY, corrected sponsor name)

Chrisnick
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Chrisnick » Sunday, 29 January 2017, 17:53 PM

I would love a Sirio for a mobile antenna but the all seem huge. I am gonna go Wilson 500 for the size. I would also like a Wilson 1000 but again, the size.

Maybe if I had a pick up or something but I have a car, and I don't want this big antenna on it.

PA629
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by PA629 » Monday, 30 January 2017, 11:46 AM

Chrisnick wrote:I would love a Sirio for a mobile antenna but the all seem huge. I am gonna go Wilson 500 for the size. I would also like a Wilson 1000 but again, the size.

Maybe if I had a pick up or something but I have a car, and I don't want this big antenna on it.
The Wilson 500 is not a terrible antenna, certainly better than the Lil Wil, but noticeably not as good as the taller W1000/5000's. On a former install years ago, I ran a 5000 in good weather and then switched over to a W500 during the winter and it's accompanying snow accumulation. The reason for the antenna swap is a longish story, and is not relevant to this discussion. I was still able to get my name called in DX, but had a 2x2879 helper for assistance. The W500 will work fine, it simply doesn't have the TX/RX range of it's taller brothers.

The Sirio P5000 is superior to the Wilson 1000/5000, it's currently what I'm using. I see no measurable increase in TX, but the RX is quieter than with the Wilsons. I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing a working W1000/5000 with a Sirio, but if I were purchasing for the first time, I'm buying the Sirio, if for no other reason that to avoid Wilson's/Barjan's/(whoever is making them this week's) problematic QC issues.
Base: Galaxy DX2517, D104 Silver Eagle w/W2ENY element, SB 220, Imax 2000, 4 element quad
Mobile: Galaxy 95T2, Astatic 575-M6, Sirio P-5000 Performer, Unmentionable 4x2879

Speedloader
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Sirio Gain Master
Cell Phone: 6312555180

Post by Speedloader » Sunday, 19 February 2017, 20:56 PM

Well, I decided not to wait for the Sirio 5000 and bought the Sirio 2000 and have no regrets. My swr reading is barely noticeable on all channels. Lower than any of my Wilsons. And besides, I'm only running a Matcoe 225 amp, so I didn't need the 5000. I highly recommend the sirio antennas overall and have the wilsons as a backup.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic