CB/AM/FM Antenna Splitter?

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Rcr619
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Rcr
Radio: General lee, mirage 33hp, galaxy 99 66

CB/AM/FM Antenna Splitter?

Post by Rcr619 »

I'm looking at putting a cb in my dodge caliber but I want to use a splitter so that I can install my wilson 5000 in place of the stock car antenna with all new coax.

I found a few different models of splitter online. The only one with good reviews seems to be the Procom inverse multiplexor. Has anyone here had any experience with this splitter either good or bad?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: CB/AM/FM Antenna Splitter?

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have yet to see one of those types of splitters work. Check out silvereagle1's lastest install, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/vi ... io+install , he has a Sirio mounted in front of the existing AM/FM/Sat antenna, looks good. I know a lot of people don't want to drill holes in a new vehicle, it would be best to go another route with the CB antenna.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Rcr619
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Rcr
Radio: General lee, mirage 33hp, galaxy 99 66

Post by Rcr619 »

Thanks for the advice! I was talking to my father about it earlier today and he said the same thing about none of the splitters working right.

I guess I'll get back to the drawing board, and hopefully come up with something.
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

This is old and you've probably solved it but it reminded me of a nifty radio I had the same problem with back in the boom days of CB. I bought a new Chevy pickup but the stock Stereo was junk. Looking for something 'High End', which meant AM, FM Cassette, electronic tuning, front to read fade, separate, equalizer, big amplifier etc. etc. I already had a CB for it but in shopping for that stereo, I found one that had all those features and more and a full function 40 channel CB, with all the options (of the time). I think Lear-Jet made it. It was really something. Your stereo speakers acted as external speakers for the CB. You could listen to your tapes or stereo but with the CB on, if a strong signal came in over the squelch, it'd override the music and you'd be able to respond. You could shut off the CB or the stereo too if you wanted. It was real nice to have it all in one unit in the dash. It had the option of using the truck's antenna for the CB with a splitter and a matcher. I got it to work, meaning a good SWR reading but neither the CB or the stereo worked so good. Fortunately it had separate plugs for both antennas so I got rid of the splitter / matcher setup and ran two antennas. Then the stereo worked great and the CB was as good as my Cobra today. The only drawback was it got ripped off two weeks after I put it in and again a year after I put the replacement in! I hate thieves!

Anybody else ever see one of those? I'd forgotten about it until I saw this thread.
Happy Trails
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Post by DevilDog66 »

I most certainly have seen those Lear Jet CB's your talking about Scipio. I remember seeing one of those in the early 80's when I was in high school. I always thought that was pretty cool having an "all in one" radio, but I was never able to purchase one. I have seen them up for sale on a certain auction site recently, but, I can't remember how much it was. You might want to check them out from time to time.....73's 8)
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I don't remember LearJet having a combo in dash radio like that but Cobra made one, the 50XLR, only thing I didn't like was the channel display was in the mic, they had problems with heat, would melt a cassette if left in while talking on the CB. Also RS Realistic TRC-471 it was AM/FM CB only.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

CBWorld(sponsors CBRT) has one of those,
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

Sheesh Greg,
I'll bet 'The Grateful Dead' really sounded weird once you melted their cassette!

Now with some of the groups of the day, you probably couldn't notice the difference.
Happy Trails