Sirio 5000-great antenna but !

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: fisherman
Antenna: 102 Whip
Radio: Texas Star TR966

Sirio 5000-great antenna but !

Post by RBR762 »

It is a great antenna but if you need a replacement whip then your screwed. I've tried several dealers that sell Sirio antennas and they all tell me they are not available.Something to consider when purchasing one. Robert
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Sirio 5000-great antenna but !

Post by MDYoungblood »

This is true and I believe it is because the length of the antenna is 6ft (71") plus the tube to ship it in, oversize postage is expensive. I have seen the whip available and if you accept the extra cost I'm sure one of the sponsors that carry Sirio can get it for you. You got to remember this is not a USA made product so It's coming from Italy.
An easier solution would be to buy a 102" whip and cut it down or one of the open coil manufacturers could probably hook you up whip something compatible.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

MDYoungblood wrote:This is true and I believe it is because the length of the antenna is 6ft (71") plus the tube to ship it in, oversize postage is expensive. I have seen the whip available and if you accept the extra cost I'm sure one of the sponsors that carry Sirio can get it for you. You got to remember this is not a USA made product so It's coming from Italy.
An easier solution would be to buy a 102" whip and cut it down or one of the open coil manufacturers could probably hook you up whip something compatible.

3's

Greg
102" whip would be too thick to go in the hole...You would have to also drill out the hole some for it to work...Tried that once on a Predator 10K...Also, not sure about the other open coil manufacturers, But Kale buys all his stingers for the Predator 10K's already cut to length, so his would be too short.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
MDYoungblood wrote:This is true and I believe it is because the length of the antenna is 6ft (71") plus the tube to ship it in, oversize postage is expensive. I have seen the whip available and if you accept the extra cost I'm sure one of the sponsors that carry Sirio can get it for you. You got to remember this is not a USA made product so It's coming from Italy.

3's

Greg
102" whip would be too thick to go in the hole...You would have to also drill out the hole some for it to work...Tried that once on a Predator 10K...Also, not sure about the other open coil manufacturers, But Kale buys all his stingers for the Predator 10K's already cut to length, so his would be too short.

I think it would work if you measured down from the static ball, the taper is slightly smaller. Also check out a MFJ-1964.

3's

Greg

RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by RBR762 »

Thank you all for the replies-the mfj1964 is not long enough as the Sirio whip is 79 inches. I did find out that A-1 Telecom sales the whip but they only sale to dealers. And I'm sure that as a dealer you have to purchase a good number of them so maybe that is why there not everywhere.
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Post by milkman21218 »

I run 2 of the Sirio 5000 w/Mag mount both on top of a Chrysler mini vans. I've whacked everything with them in several states. And the whips are still in the antenna body for almost 4 years. So I wouldn't worry about losing the whip. But RS sells 102" whips cheap. And cut it down like Greg said. It will work!
Central Maryland

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

milkman21218 wrote:I run 2 of the Sirio 5000 w/Mag mount both on top of a Chrysler mini vans. I've whacked everything with them in several states. And the whips are still in the antenna body for almost 4 years. So I wouldn't worry about losing the whip. But RS sells 102" whips cheap. And cut it down like Greg said. It will work!
RS? What part of the Country are you in where there's still Radio Shacks open? ALL the ones in the Dallas area have been closed for sometime now, but a few re-opened as cell phone dealers, but no radio stuff of any kind anymore.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
milkman21218
Donor
Donor
Handle: Milkman
Call Sign: W1ASA
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many

Post by milkman21218 »

I'm in Baltimore, Maryland. We still have a few left.
Central Maryland

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
milkman21218 wrote:I run 2 of the Sirio 5000 w/Mag mount both on top of a Chrysler mini vans. I've whacked everything with them in several states. And the whips are still in the antenna body for almost 4 years. So I wouldn't worry about losing the whip. But RS sells 102" whips cheap. And cut it down like Greg said. It will work!
RS? What part of the Country are you in where there's still Radio Shacks open? ALL the ones in the Dallas area have been closed for sometime now, but a few re-opened as cell phone dealers, but no radio stuff of any kind anymore.
We have one just north of the city in Timonium that still carries all the online catalog items, (just the RS stuff), but sadly they are more interested in selling phones. I am also sad to say that our local electronic's store has shut their doors, looks like it's the internet for stuff now.

3's

Greg

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

MDYoungblood wrote:
jessejamesdallas wrote:
We have one just north of the city in Timonium that still carries all the online catalog items, (just the RS stuff), but sadly they are more interested in selling phones. I am also sad to say that our local electronic's store has shut their doors, looks like it's the internet for stuff now.

3's

Greg
Been that way for a while here now...Although you can still go to the local truck stops like TA and Pilot to get stuff... Just have to pay threw the nose for cheap-junk at the truck stops...There's two CB shops I know of still open in the Dallas area, but both of them just deal in used radios and repair work, and of those two, only one of them knows what he's doing...If you have one of the newer radios with the SMT boards, then your screwed because no one around here will even look at one.
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by RBR762 »

I have a RS about a mile from my home, I only go there as a last resort because of prices and let's admit they just don't carry much anymore. As for the whip I will try a cut down 102" as I can get one from R&L Electronics. I like the new radios but not smt technology,that's why I still run the old school radios (uniden grant xl,Washington etc...). Robert
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

as long as I don't roll my car like I did my lil truck, I ain't worried about the whip.
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
RBR762
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by RBR762 »

Tried the 102 whip cut down from the static tip and it will not fit(too thick). I did find a website that sales both the 71 and 79 Sirio whips.....a little pricey at 17.95 each but if you need one then what is a few bucks....what is amazing is I ordered them Thursday and they were delivered Saturday in a peice of PVC pipe with a plug in each end so they could not get damaged.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

18 bucks for the whip is about the going rate plus shipping. Glad to see you got one, not sure but I believe DNJ who is a sponsor may have them or can get them, they are one of Sirio's biggest sellers here in the states.

3's

Greg