Mobile Grounding Question

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

kd9ayy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Radio: dx2547
Antenna: antron 99/wire
Name: shawn sullivan

Mobile Grounding Question

Post by kd9ayy » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 13:07 PM

Hello, New guy here.
I have a Lil Wilson mounted on my toolbox in my truck bed (It is the aluminum type tool box from Tractor Supply). I mounted a 8"x12" piece of flat steel to the top for the mag mount to stick behind the driver side of the truck. I was thinking about donating the Lil Wilson to my wifes car and upgrading my antenna to a Wilson 1000. After spending some time on this site this morning, I am starting to think my scheme of the toolbox-steel mount idea is lacking a ground. It gets out the way it is but I am wondering if I am not doing myself any favors by not grounding it to the truck chasis. I am thinking about sandwiching a wire between the mag mount and the steel plate and running it between the cab and truck bed to the frame. I could go back to mounting the Wilson back on the truck cab but I have to park in parking garages often and its a hassle to keep taking it down.
I have the same setup on the other end of the toolbox behind the passenger side. This is where my 2m antenna is mag mounted. I just use it to hit a local repeater and hadn't had any issues with it.
I though I would throw this out there to get some insight and possibly introduce myself to a few of you.

Thanks
Sparks kd9ayy

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: Mobile Grounding Question

Post by jessejamesdallas » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 14:12 PM

What does the SWR look like? If it's high, then you may want to run ground straps off the tool box to the frame..."sandwiching" a wire under the magnet to the frame really isn't going to do much if anything...

If SWR is fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

kd9ayy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by kd9ayy » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 14:26 PM

SWR isnt a problem. Usually runs around 1:2
3 to 2:0. I have to move the antenna around when I hit carwashes. Sounds like I need to leave it be.
Thanks!

milkman21218
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Many
Antenna: Many
Name: Izzy

Post by milkman21218 » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 14:40 PM

If you got a Sirio 5000 PL you could just fold the antenna over to lay it down. And they out perform the Wilson antennas. They can even to do both 10 & 11 meter bands. So it's like having 2 antennas in 1!
Central Maryland

kd9ayy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by kd9ayy » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 15:07 PM

I like the sound of that! The price is right on the sirio too :)
Thanks for the info.

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPhone
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Tuesday, 03 January 2017, 16:06 PM

I would check the grounds (bonding). If the tool box is bolted down to the bed rail (not those plastic hold down brackets) the box itself should be bonded to the bed, if not I'd add a ground strap to the bed. Now most lids are sealed by a rubber gasket, the piano hinge has a plastic insert bearing and so does the lock, look to see if there is a ground strap on the hinge bolts (not sure if the TS boxes have one) if not I'd add one there too. Last but not least, check the bed to frame ground straps to see if they are still there.

3's

Greg
ImageImageImage

"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD Image WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Base
Uniden Washington
Mobile
Texas Ranger TR-696FD1C
Handheld
Maxon HCB-40WX
Antennas
Avanti Sigma II
Homemade Full Wave Loop
Homemade 1/2 wave Dipole
Hustler 102" SS Whip and Hustler Ball Mount

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

kd9ayy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by kd9ayy » Wednesday, 04 January 2017, 7:22 AM

Thanks for all the info. I decided to go ahead and order the Sirio from one of the site sponsors. I will also add a grounding strap from my toolbox lid to the frame. The Lil Wilson will find a new home on my wifes car.

I appreciate the help!

-- Monday, 09 January 2017, 21:08 PM --

DNJRadio had my Sirio 5000 to me in two days. Very fast and responsive shop. I played out in the freezing cold for a bit saturday afternoon hooking it up to my Cobra. I mounted it up top of the cab for now. That is one tall antenna! I didnt have much patience with the cold to fine tune anything. I checked the SWR, it was just less than 2. I could immediately notice the difference between this guy and the Lil' Wil. I am glad you all recommended it. So far its Awesome!

kd9ayy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic