Mobile as a base antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Jr329
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Mobile as a base antenna

Post by Jr329 »

Hi guys I'm in a situation where I can't put up a antenna as it says in my lease but I was thinking about running a good mobile antenna from my base and mount on top of my car
Would this work?
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Mobile as a base antenna

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Your wanting to set-up a base radio...then run the coax out to the car and have the antenna sitting on it?

Will it work? Probably.

Why not just stick the radio in the car, and have a mobile set-up? Then you can drive around town and talk...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

jessejamesdallas wrote:Your wanting to set-up a base radio...then run the coax out to the car and have the antenna sitting on it?

Will it work? Probably.

Why not just stick the radio in the car, and have a mobile set-up? Then you can drive around town and talk...

Post by 231 »

Jr329 wrote:Hi guys I'm in a situation where I can't put up a antenna as it says in my lease but I was thinking about running a good mobile antenna from my base and mount on top of my car
Would this work?
Welcome to the forum...when you get a chance post an intro' in the Intro Section.

Honestly I understand your dilemma...I'm sure many of us do. JJD has a point though, driving around can surely make a huge difference in performance, especially if you can park on a hill or somewhere that's not surrounded by power lines, buildings, and elevates the vehicle.

Yes, what you want to do will work fine...but running the coax may prove to be a liability that your landlord may pull the hammer down on you for. If someone trips on it (which will probably be their excuse) liability falls on them, not you. They must then come back and sue you. Landlords also turn quite red about interference with neighbors' electronic devices...doesn't matter it's likely not your fault, but the equipment they are using. Take it from me, I was evicted trying to be sneaky about this. At night I'd throw up my Shakespear Big Stick and transmit...it backfired totally. That was some 30+ years ago now, and I'm quite sure landlords haven't become easier on rules they have (nor they can be sued for).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

231 wrote:
Jr329 wrote:Hi guys I'm in a situation where I can't put up a antenna as it says in my lease but I was thinking about running a good mobile antenna from my base and mount on top of my car
Would this work?
Welcome to the forum...when you get a chance post an intro' in the Intro Section.

Honestly I understand your dilemma...I'm sure many of us do. JJD has a point though, driving around can surely make a huge difference in performance, especially if you can park on a hill or somewhere that's not surrounded by power lines, buildings, and elevates the vehicle.

Yes, what you want to do will work fine...but running the coax may prove to be a liability that your landlord may pull the hammer down on you for. If someone trips on it (which will probably be their excuse) liability falls on them, not you. They must then come back and sue you. Landlords also turn quite red about interference with neighbors' electronic devices...doesn't matter it's likely not your fault, but the equipment they are using. Take it from me, I was evicted trying to be sneaky about this. At night I'd throw up my Shakespear Big Stick and transmit...it backfired totally. That was some 30+ years ago now, and I'm quite sure landlords haven't become easier on rules they have (nor they can be sued for).

Didn't like my pic hua... :mrgreen:

231 where you been hiding anyway? Long time no see...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post by 231 »

jessejamesdallas wrote: Didn't like my pic hua... :mrgreen:

I didn't see your image...but if it was questionably inappropriate then no doubt that's why it's gone.
The mods don't need our permission to remove stuff considered questionable...we'll always support them in that. :icon_e_wink:

I've not been hiding, I show up when I can and often just read stuff...especially when folks are getting answers to their questions. Good to see you JJD.

Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Post by »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
231 wrote:
Would this work?

Didn't like my pic hua... :mrgreen:

231 - Great story about getting cause with the Big Stick! LOL - I got caught once by my mother. She went out of town for the weekend, and I decided to put up the 40ft push up pole with a Antron 99 on it. That night I had the Ada County Sheriff roll up and tell me that they had complaints of me bleeding on the phones, TV's, Stereos, and touch lamps. I told the officer I had no idea what they were talking about, and kept talking on the radio. The neighbors later talked to my mother about it, and they told her that I had a huge antenna on the house over the weekend. BUSTED! LOL!
ada county.jpg
JJD - I saw the picture, and I agreed with removing it off the post. [/size][/b]
Would this work?
I agree with JJD. It would work, but there are always other options if you are in a rental. You may want to try a dipole antenna or doublet is the simplest and most widely used class of antenna. It consists of two identical conductive elements such as metal wires or rods, which are usually bilaterally symmetrical. Check out the picture below. I had this in the attic of my rental and my landlord never even knew I had one in the apartment.
DIPOLE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Donate here