Sound

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Sound

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

My radio in the garage is playing over the surround sound and pausing the tv when I talk on it how do I fix this. I have a tower up about 15ft from the house about 60ft tall if I move it further away from the house will this help me. I'm putting out about 550 watts not that much not sure way this is happening. I do have a cable box right next to the radio and the coax and cable code is almost on to[ of each other could that be doing it.
Mtn Lynx
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lightning
Call Sign: WR223
Antenna: A99/Wire dipole
Radio: Anytone AT 6666/Bearcat 980SSB

Re: Sound

Post by Mtn Lynx »

saw on another post that that was happening to another fella. members of the forum advised that a low pass filter may remedy the problem with your electronics.
\m/ >.< \m/
Anytone AT 6666
Galaxy DX 959
Galaxy DX 2517
Cobra 148 GTL
1/2 wave Dipole
Solarcon A99
TWRC Member: WR223
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Does it happen when the amp is off?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Are you running a coiled coax RF choke at the base of the antenna feed? Sounds like the surround has some speaker wire that is acting like an accidental antenna due to being accidentally the right length possibly.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

im thinking low pass filter and RF choke
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Low pass filter probably won't do anything...Been there, done that, no luck.

However! My radio was bleeding on my daughters headphones, and to fix the problem all I had to do was put a ferrite bead on the cord where the connector is that plugs into her computer...Problem solved.

Get a ferrite bead that's big enough to where you can loop the speaker wires at least once at the plug where it plugs into your receiver...2 speakers, 2 ferrite's...one for each speaker wire.

Having the coax right next to the cable box, or the coax to the radio and TV's coax on top of each other is not a good idea either.

I'm running close to 800w, my tower is right beside the house, and I don't bleed on anything in the house...(other than my daughters headphones before I stuck the ferrite bead on them)
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Moving the tower sounds like a lot of work and I doubt it would help. Grounding is important, tower should be well grounded and some type of lightning arrestor inline with the coax. A RF choke (also called a dirty balun) does help in some cases. The problem is most likely the surround sound system and the cable box.
To determine if it's the cable box just turn it off and the TV on (off the air broadcast), if it doesn't interfere than that means the cable box is receiving harmonics, call the cable company to come out and repair that problem, they can install a filter in/on the box and coax to help with removing the harmonics.
The sound system turn it on and if you are coming across it then try the beads mentioned by JJD could help, it may take more than one on each speaker leads.
I'd also ground the amp and radio too.

3's

Greg

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

they may not of grounded the cable box. I had the same problem years ago and the cable company installer was suppose to have put a ground on the system and he did not. they came out and put the ground on it and all was fine with mine. the shield on the cable needed to be grounded. the installer that did the 1st install said he did not put a ground on it because he did not know I had a cb radio. imagine that my pickup had one and my tower was about 10 feet from where they brought the cable in to the house. it had to come off the pole in the back yard. he just did not want to drive a ground rod into the ground.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

its does it with the amp on
nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: shorty
Radio: saturn turbo

Post by nk14zp »

Check all your grounds including your rf grounds.

Post by 231 »

EZ CHOPPER wrote:My radio in the garage is playing over the surround sound and pausing the tv when I talk on it how do I fix this. I have a tower up about 15ft from the house about 60ft tall if I move it further away from the house will this help me. I'm putting out about 550 watts not that much not sure way this is happening. I do have a cable box right next to the radio and the coax and cable code is almost on to[ of each other could that be doing it.
Lots of possibilities as mentioned...some great ideas already. Here are some more ideas that you might try in no particular order:

- Add toroids to the speaker wires (sometimes it takes several per speaker)
- Shut the amplifier off (I bet barefoot you don't splatter harmonics as much)
- If you are running a Class C amplifier pretty likely going to a better class A, or AB will help allot!
- A coaxial choke at the feed point of the antenna will help (8"-10" in diameter about 8 turns)
- Invest in a Low Pass filter for your transmitter capable of 1kw (they aren't expensive)
- Invest in a high pass filter for your TV
- Plug the receivers being bled on into a good quality power strip (in case it's getting in through the AC lines)
- Clean up your audio (no more than 100%)

If you have neighbors chances are you are getting into their equipment too. Just saying. There are many more things you can do, but the above are the first that come to mind. I would first try cleaning up your audio, go to a class A amplifier, and install a low pass filter myself. Even that is likely not to be enough though.

Let us know how it goes.

nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: shorty
Radio: saturn turbo

Post by nk14zp »

Has the cb you are having the issue with been clipped?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

EZ CHOPPER wrote:its does it with the amp on
You are going to be a little more explicit, just a couple of words won't help us help you diagnose the problem. Did you try any of the things that has been suggested?

3's

Greg