Dual or not? And will I need to ground

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
dark knight
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Dual or not? And will I need to ground

Post by dark knight »

I am currently using a Willson little Wil mag mount for my cobra 29 Ltd I have two 4' firestick tunable tips. I am looking at using those I drive a dodge 2500 if I used the firesticks I would mount them to my toolbox and if I did that would I need to run a ground wire, also should I run duel antennas or a single?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Dual or not? And will I need to ground

Post by MDYoungblood »

If the toolbox is bolted to the bedrails no ground should be needed, if you used the plastic clips that come with a lot of boxes then yes you will need a decent ground to the bed. A single antenna is easier to tune but I think the duals look better, if you read FireStik's tuning procedure for dual antenna and have a little patience they will work fine, I'm glad they are 4ft'ers anything shorter will just cause headaches.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Dual or not? And will I need to ground

Post by jessejamesdallas »

If your going to run duals... You'll need a co-phase harness...I'm with MDYoungblood on this...."Single antenna is much easier to get tuned"...
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.