Dual antennas on a old chevy

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
renegade6811
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Dual antennas on a old chevy

Post by renegade6811 »

Ok guys I'm going to run dual 5' firestik since I mostly haul a 5th wheel in the summer. But I'm kinda looking at the predator K10 duals also. Either way I'll be running off the mirrors. Thoughts please? Will the K10's be too heavy for the mirrors? Keep in mind it's a standard cab truck.

-- Friday, 24 February 2017, 15:35 PM --

Reason why is with the 5th wheel in it puts the antenna about 3 feet away from the front of trailer.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: Dual antennas on a old chevy

Post by 443 Arizona »

i would run one ant. unless your deadset on two, and i would do the firestick just because i see alot of broke off 10K's
renegade6811
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by renegade6811 »

I'm leaning that way too after reading on them for quit awhile it does seem like they won't hold up off road hunting. And hauling a 5th wheel I don't want the antenna behind the cab and right up against a aluminum wall lol.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Another nicer antenna in 5ft would be the Francis, (guess you can see I'm not a FireStik fan), I too think the K10's on a mirror mount are just too big. The hard part of dual (co-phased) antennas is tuning, it takes patients. A good site to look at antennas is CB World, http://www.wearecb.com/ , they are a forum sponsor and have decent prices on everything you would need.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Predators are not too heavy to mount on mirror brackets at all...Truckers mount them all the time on mirrors.. As for off-roading, as long as nothing hits the antenna itself, you will be fine... limbs whacking the stinger is not going to break the antenna since it will just bend back... A Firestik or similar antenna is not going to bend if it whacks a limb....
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
renegade6811
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by renegade6811 »

Only thing I seen is the predator works better as a single so I'd have a dummy antenna just hanging there. But I'll definitely look into the Francis 5'5 antennas.

-- Sunday, 12 March 2017, 19:52 PM --

Ok guys got a ASTATIC PDC2 SWR / RF / FIELD meter hooked up and it shows swr's of 2 but my bearcat 980 is showing swr's or 1.18 so which one would you believe? Meter is new by the way.