Fav Antenna

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
27%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 861

LordDragr
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Cobra 29 LTD BT
Antenna: Firestick
Name: Thommy

Fav Antenna

Post by LordDragr » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 12:00 PM

I'm trying to find a new antenna for my mobile so I figured this would be a good way to choose. The choices are ones that I might go with but not sure yet.

Post by Guest » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 12:24 PM

Last edited by Guest on Thursday, 20 October 2005, 12:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Bozo
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: General Lee
Antenna: Monkey Made MM6
Name: James W
Cell Phone: (208) 845-0004
Referrals: 703

Post by Bozo » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 12:30 PM

ALSO TRY http://WWW.PREDATOR10K.NET OR http://WWW.MONKEYMADE.COM

BOTH OF THOSE SITES I BUILT FOR THE OWNERS
Admin - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there. Be sure to tell them you saw their name on The CB Radio Talk Forum. Please use our contact us link in the menu if you are ether having registration issues, or need help with logging in. Otherwise please utilize our "Talk to Admin" forum to address your other concerns.
Support our fine sponsors!
Sign Guestbook

N.J. 124
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Referrals: 2

Fav Antenna

Post by N.J. 124 » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 17:34 PM

IT'S A 10K WORLD!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Mr RadioActive
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Mr RadioActive » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 19:15 PM

I've used so many antennas. Coily, Stargun, McNasty, Al Capone, 2 Watt, 55, fighting sticks.................The Best thus far has been the 10K for quality, weight, and tx/rx

Stormbringer
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by Stormbringer » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 20:41 PM

Yea, what RadioActive said!

Mr RadioActive
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Mr RadioActive » Thursday, 20 October 2005, 22:17 PM

:agree: Hey did I agree to myself!!! LOL, theres alot of antennas but its rare to find a lightweight good talking antenna built to awesome standards. My second favorite right now is coily. As far as his base antennas they rock!

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Post by jessejamesdallas » Saturday, 22 October 2005, 14:29 PM

everything else, is just another antenna! :mfight
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mr. 9k9
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Mr. 9k9 » Sunday, 11 December 2005, 17:12 PM

Hey Guys, would it be safe to say that a 10K would kick the crap out of my Wilson1000? and who knows where to get one in ontario canada, or in Port Huron Michigan?

Big Hit
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Big Hit » Sunday, 11 December 2005, 22:58 PM

DJacks9625 wrote:...who knows where to get one in ontario canada, or in Port Huron Michigan?
I don't think that any of the sponsors that sell these would have a problem shipping to Canada, you just can't pay with that funny looking money. :06-01smi:
Mr. Big Hit 413

Post by Guest » Sunday, 11 December 2005, 23:06 PM

:8_too_funny: lmao!

Big Hit
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Big Hit » Sunday, 11 December 2005, 23:08 PM

Mr.RadioActive wrote::agree: Hey did I agree to myself!!!
I agree with the fact that you agree with yourself.
Mr. Big Hit 413

Mr RadioActive
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Mr RadioActive » Sunday, 11 December 2005, 23:16 PM

Do they use money, or do they still trade plets, and such for items at the market!!!! JK, LOL

Mr. 9k9
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Mr. 9k9 » Tuesday, 13 December 2005, 14:42 PM

LOL we still trade pelts of course..... that is when it's warm enough to come out of our Igloo...... eh.
I actually live right on the border by the bluewater bridge in Sarnia Ontario, 5 minutes from Port Huron Michigan so I get to use real money once in a while.

Mr RadioActive
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Mr RadioActive » Tuesday, 13 December 2005, 15:14 PM

real money buys you a big igloo!

Mr. 9k9
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Mr. 9k9 » Wednesday, 21 December 2005, 23:14 PM

Hey guys, does anyone have the dimensions of the predator 10K?
DJ

Bozo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bozo » Wednesday, 21 December 2005, 23:22 PM

i think you can find some dimensions at www.predator10k.net
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there. Be sure to tell them you saw their name on The CB Radio Talk Forum. Please use our contact us link in the menu if you are ether having registration issues, or need help with logging in. Otherwise please utilize our "Talk to Admin" forum to address your other concerns.
Sign Guestbook

stickman
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 3

Post by stickman » Thursday, 22 December 2005, 4:35 AM

ALTHOUGH I RUN A WILSON 1000 RIGHT I WILL BE GETTING THE PREDATOR 10K AND BY LOOKING AT THE POLE IT'S NO CONTEST, IT'S DEFINITELY A 10K WORLD. MERRY X-MAS TO EVERYONE.
STICKMAN
MOBILE GENERAL LEE, ASTATIC 636L MIC, WILSON 5000

BUY YOUR NEXT RADIO AT
www.radioactiveradios.com

Bozo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bozo » Thursday, 22 December 2005, 5:00 AM

and it's a Bozo made antenna day to!!!
Sign Guestbook

Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: Uniden/Icom/Cobra

Post by 231 » Saturday, 04 March 2006, 8:27 AM

How did I miss this poll? :-x

Well, "Other" isn't listed...so I didn't vote. Everyone talks highly of the 10k, but I've yet to see anyone compare it (even unscientifically) to the 102" whip...which I know for a fact the Everhardt Tiger SOTT-5' will out perform. I've run numberous tests over the years using the 102" as the base antenna to beat.

;)

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Monday, 27 March 2006, 22:19 PM

231 wrote:How did I miss this poll? :-x

Well, "Other" isn't listed...so I didn't vote. Everyone talks highly of the 10k, but I've yet to see anyone compare it (even unscientifically) to the 102" whip...which I know for a fact the Everhardt Tiger SOTT-5' will out perform. I've run numberous tests over the years using the 102" as the base antenna to beat.

;)
I have tested the 10K against the 102" whip. Was posted on another site...

I also did the test useing the Wilson 5000, the Mr.Coily Dual Coil 22" shaft antenna, the Monkey Made, the Megatron, (which is a Monkey Made Clone) And a Radio Shack antenna...

In every case...The Predator 10K always was the most broad banded antenna, and tuned the lowest, and easiest...All test were done using a Dosy Meter, and a radio shack meter, a field strength meter, and a mfj 259b antenna analyzer...

All antennas were similar in size's, number of coils, and shaft lengths. (except for the 102" whip, Predator doesn't make anything close to 102" tall)

Over all best preforming antenna was the Predator 10K, 27" shaft Dual Coil antenna. Tuned flat across all 40 channels, on mfj. 100% Match efficiency, X=0 on all 40 channels...

Also tested were the other Predator 10K configurations, like the Single Coil, the 22", 17", 12", and 9" shaft's...All did well, but the 27" tuned the best.

As for the antenna which came in a close second, other than Predator. Was the Mr.Coily.

Best I could get the 102" whip to tune, was around 1.2 swr. Which from what I've seen, most cant get a 102" to tune lower than 1.3...

102" whips are just fine if your sitting still. But run down the highway @ 60 MPH, and watch that **Censored** bend-over backwards! Along with the swr!

The Heavy gluteus maxims Monkey Made's wont bend at all, not even @ 150 MPH down the freeway...But they also wont talk as good either.

But, you don't have to take my word for it...talk to anyone who use to run whips, but finally decided to switch to the 10K! :wink:

By the way...I do alot of the testing of the Predators, before they ever go to market...The antennas which are for sale right now, are some of the best antennas available. Currently, I have a couple of different Predator's I'm testing, and different size diameter's of shafts...And still playing around with a "Top-Hat" or Ground Plane kit, made by Predator, for Predator 10K's...

Only way to find out if the Predator 10K is for you...is to give one a try!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Falkon MX-5
Donor
Donor

Post by Falkon MX-5 » Tuesday, 28 March 2006, 23:22 PM

231 wrote:How did I miss this poll? :-x

;)
Well, why not? The 102" whip mounted on your car will exibit 0, ZERO dBd gain.... because it's a half-wave dipole [the other half is the car] With coils comes loss. That's just a rule of thumb. So what's this about a SCOTT antenna?
CBRADIOTALK.COM ROCKS!
A GREAT FAMILY FRIENDLY SITE!

Mr RadioActive
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Mr RadioActive » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 0:24 AM

agreed with jessie, 10K all the way!

Snowman1975
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: Super Galaxy
Name: Shane

Post by Snowman1975 » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 2:57 AM

My choice isn't listed so hear is my favorite (I am SO ready for the crap from all you....heehee). I messed up my little wil that I used to run so I went to a truck stop and bought this Cobra 1000 mag mount. It has this big coil cased in glass and filled with oil. So far, it is the best antenna I have run hands down on my van. But, it is only like my second antenna I have tried. My little wil had to be totally adjusted before I could even come close to 1.5 on my SWR. This Cobra went straight to 1.3 across the board without modification upon hook-up.

Just my 2 cents.
Shane E. Hellenga
Snowman
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra
Super galaxy
Hustler antenna

Find me on Channel 19...will go to any channel after you find me.

Working Cowboy
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by Working Cowboy » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 3:23 AM

Why would any one give you **Censored** about that snow man?
For one; all of us at one time or another got suckered into a bad purchase on our radio or anntena. You will learn, Just Kidding

I used to run a 29LTD classic and the same antenna you run and it worked very well. As long as you are running a duck radio with no power behind it. It really is a good set up. They sound good and have great ears. Nothing wrong with that.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 231 » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 8:37 AM

JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

And Falcon, I don't mind the 102" whip...it just isn't my favorite. Why would it be when I know for a fact there are better performers out there? Just because it looks good in theory, doesn't mean it's fact.

;)

5H Outlaw
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by 5H Outlaw » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 11:11 AM

It's not in the poll, but my favorite so far is a K-40 with a mag mount. Not saying it out performs anything else, but for my application it's the cats *ss. Low swr all over the channels and a quarer turn spins it off for the car wash or garage. Keep in mind that all I've ever had before this was twin sticks on the big trucks and a Cobra mag and a Max Rad.
I'd like to try a 10K or Monkey Made one day, but 'til then the K 40 is gonna be just fine.
Mobile-Ram-Magnum S-3/K-40

"renegade Eagle crew"

Falkon MX-5
Donor
Donor

Post by Falkon MX-5 » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 13:06 PM

I totally agree, especially for mobile, I like the 10k and the coily.

I like the 102" whip for just being a regular old antenna. I don't run any mobile, so it's pretty much what I use. If there's a strong wind, I can watch my SWRs jump up and down as the whips move in the wind. For mobile, solid, wide bandwidth antennas would be great, and that's why the 10k is great! I just wouldn't run it as a base simply because it's a loaded coil antenna. Why have any dB loss when you can have none?
231 wrote:JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

And Falcon, I don't mind the 102" whip...it just isn't my favorite. Why would it be when I know for a fact there are better performers out there? Just because it looks good in theory, doesn't mean it's fact.

;)
CBRADIOTALK.COM ROCKS!
A GREAT FAMILY FRIENDLY SITE!

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 19:12 PM

231 wrote:JJD, all the tuning info' is good. But I must have missed the TX/RX difference it made over the 102" whip. :-? My Tiger is flat SWR from 26.5150-27.9950 + and out performed both TX/RX to the 102" Whip hands down (also posted in another thread). I'm leary of investing $100 in another antenna that barely beats the 102" whip.

;)
I'll have to go back when I have some time, and check the TX/RX differences between the 102" and the 10K...been over a year since I did those comparisons...

As for spending $100 for a 10K...Thats just not so, unless someone takes you to the cleaner's! Clay's sells them for under $60, and so does John's Cb. Cant give the web address here for Clays, because it will get censored out...

Now although I have yet to do a install, where I couldn't get a 10K to tune better than any other antenna, I have herd of some guys that didn't have very much luck with them...Not sure why, unless they were trying to mount the 10K in a spot that just wasn't the right place for the antenna to begin with...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 231 » Thursday, 30 March 2006, 7:42 AM

jessejamesdallas wrote:I'll have to go back when I have some time, and check the TX/RX differences between the 102" and the 10K...been over a year since I did those comparisons...

As for spending $100 for a 10K...Thats just not so, unless someone takes you to the cleaner's! Clay's sells them for under $60, and so does John's Cb. Cant give the web address here for Clays, because it will get censored out...

Now although I have yet to do a install, where I couldn't get a 10K to tune better than any other antenna, I have herd of some guys that didn't have very much luck with them...Not sure why, unless they were trying to mount the 10K in a spot that just wasn't the right place for the antenna to begin with...
Very cool! Thank you. :Peace!:

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Monday, 03 April 2006, 20:08 PM

THUMPER wrote:send them a pm with the web site :Peace!:
Was over there at Clays about a week or so ago, and said something to them about it already....But they get more business from "word of mouth" and the Freeway, than they do from the Internet. So they do most of their advertising up and down the freeway on billboards...Plus, when your the only real CB shop within a 100 miles or better...guess you don't need much advertising! :wink:

Ashton
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by Ashton » Wednesday, 23 August 2006, 13:35 PM

LordDragr wrote:I'm trying to find a new antenna for my mobile so I figured this would be a good way to choose. The choices are ones that I might go with but not sure yet.
Has anyone heard of this antenna( SATURN Base Antenna SM-100)

BigBopper
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by BigBopper » Wednesday, 23 August 2006, 13:51 PM

yea, they work when you need a small antenna, my buddy udes one on the base and he talks to me all the time

Ashton
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Ashton » Wednesday, 23 August 2006, 13:56 PM

BigBopper wrote:yea, they work when you need a small antenna, my buddy udes one on the base and he talks to me all the time

Sounds like just what the Dr called for

Maverick
Donor
Donor
Home Phone: 719-216-1734

Post by Maverick » Saturday, 30 September 2006, 7:45 AM

It is Definitely a 10K world!

I've used quite a few antennas, fiberglass, 102" whip, $20 truck stop antennas, etc., and the 10k performs best hands down! I've never had an antenna before that does between 1.0-1.1 VSWR all the time!
Catch ya' Later Modulator!

ToolBox
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP General Lee
Name: Mike

Post by ToolBox » Monday, 11 December 2006, 18:54 PM

Can the 10k be put on a spring or is the wind drag to much...??

I like the 102" because it has the 6" spring and can handle low hung limbs etc without being torn off.....

I am getting 1.0-1.1 SWR with mine...
Mike (RajinCajun)
Handle- Toolbox
70 Bronco, 03 F-450
www.BigCountryOff-Road.com
My Install http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/ohv/album359

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Friday, 29 December 2006, 13:48 PM

WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE IS THIS ANTENNA GOING ON AND WHERE TO BE MOUNTED IS UNDECIDED

PENDING WHAT YOU PLAN TO USE SETUP FOR.

GIVE ME A PM

I HAVE A FEW 10KS LAYING AROUND
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Sunday, 28 January 2007, 21:53 PM

ToolBox wrote:Can the 10k be put on a spring or is the wind drag to much...??

I like the 102" because it has the 6" spring and can handle low hung limbs etc without being torn off.....

I am getting 1.0-1.1 SWR with mine...
NO! If you put a Predator 10K, or anyother Large Coil Type antenna on a spring, the wind drag would be so bad, all it would do, is flop around like a fish out of water! :shock:

Springs only work on "stick type" antennas....

Stroker
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Stroker » Sunday, 11 February 2007, 18:45 PM

dave made rod from god... 1/2 wave killer..

43glr187
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 43glr187 » Tuesday, 20 February 2007, 18:07 PM

i still rather home brew 9ft stainless steel kinda ironic considering its really 8ft 7inch's lawl

Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 » Friday, 02 March 2007, 10:28 AM

55 r6's... Don't they look great...

mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya » Friday, 02 March 2007, 10:44 AM

The new truck is lookin' good Skater!

Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 » Friday, 02 March 2007, 10:51 AM

mopar2ya wrote:The new truck is lookin' good Skater!
Thanks... did you see the install pics? Got a few other things that will be done, and should be finished up in the next few months...

Skater

mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya » Friday, 02 March 2007, 11:28 AM

No, I didn't. I will have to see that! I will peruse your forum now!

mopar2ya
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by mopar2ya » Friday, 02 March 2007, 11:31 AM

Hmm. Didn't find them there. Help me out bro!

Skater229
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Skater229 » Friday, 02 March 2007, 12:12 PM

mopar2ya wrote:Hmm. Didn't find them there. Help me out bro!
viewtopic.php?t=7639

There ya go...
Skater

Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: RCI 2950 and IC-7000
Name: Skylar
Home Phone: 2142430926

Post by 316 » Sunday, 01 April 2007, 21:29 PM

It appears to be a 10K world

Lifted2x4
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Lifted2x4 » Wednesday, 11 April 2007, 23:01 PM

I like my 102" whip.

clutch
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by clutch » Thursday, 12 April 2007, 13:31 PM

bought a hustler and totally dominated my monkey made keyed up and got a 26 mile radio check nice

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic