Fav Antenna

Help with installing an Antenna, or just choosing the right antenna to go with your radio, or your mobile.

Moderator: JR Moderator

Which antenna do you prefer

Wilson 1000
20%
Wilson 5000
27%
102"
23%
MR. Coily
3%
Predator 10K
20%
monkey made
5%
stargun
1%
55 antennas
2%
bozo made
1%

Total votes: 861

linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Referrals: 1

Re:

Post by linearone » Thursday, 02 April 2009, 17:41 PM

Mr RadioActive wrote:I've used so many antennas. Coily, Stargun, McNasty, Al Capone, 2 Watt, 55, fighting sticks.................The Best thus far has been the 10K for quality, weight, and tx/rx
If possible I would really like to see pics of a 2 watt antenna. I heard this person also made mounts etc. any contact info for him?

Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...

linearone
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re: Fav Antenna

Post by linearone » Thursday, 02 April 2009, 17:41 PM

my favorite is a wilson 5000 for a good all around daily driver antenna

Its CB radio, plug and play technology, its just not that hard folks...

Big_Kahuna
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Big_Kahuna » Wednesday, 22 April 2009, 19:43 PM

Think I'll try one of those 55 R-4 and compare it to my P10K!!!

MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: YAESU FT-857
Name: Steve

Post by MysteryMan » Friday, 24 April 2009, 17:19 PM

One of my favorite topics. But I have been out of this for to long. I don't know half of the antennas mentioned to vote on.
I will say because I am off road so much that the Wilson would be the better choice.

That being said, The Amazer Co-Phase I setup on my Toyota PU in the 70's was the best I have ever used. Nothing could compare. Currently I use Antenex or Laird antennas mostly. Either 1/4 or 5/8 wav. It's mostly all Ham usage.

If I could find an original Sigma 4 I would use it on the house.

In 1979 to 1981 we built and used a full wav antenna from a 5/8 ground plane and a sigma 4. Holy crud that was unstable as hell in the wind but it work very well.

In 1990 I think it was we built a 3 element 11-10M Gizmotchy beam. I have a picture, trying to find it.
That work very well. We made it to come apart and drive to a location and use it mounted in the back of my PU.

If you would really like some fun get a very large balloon with long rope, attach an antenna to it and let it go up as far as it will go. You get some height not matter were you are. A friend of mine does this for DXing with a small Blimp up to 600 feet. He has a wench for the blimp.

That is my 3 cents.

I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.

tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Radio: President Washington
Antenna: Ground Plane
Name: Joe
Home Phone: 1-800-MUDDUCK

Post by tractor guy » Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 13:24 PM

What would you guys recommend for my truck? I don't necessarily need a name brand just a type. I just want to know if there is something out there that will show a marked improvement over the 4' fiberglass I have on there now.

It is mounted on an angle from a mirror mount. Running bare footed for now, but I would like to put a foot warmer under the seat eventually. 3~400 watt maybe.......

Thanks
Joe

1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana

MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan » Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 14:51 PM

Question:

Do you go under low branches or fast food take a ways?

What I am getting at is the baning the antenna will encounter. I shattered many of fiberglass Thick Sticks and a couple of Amazers and some center coils over the years.

From your answer you will have better suggestions.

~Steve

I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.

tractor guy
Donor
Donor
Radio: President Washington
Antenna: Ground Plane
Home Phone: 1-800-MUDDUCK

Post by tractor guy » Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 15:02 PM

Most of the fat food places around here don't have a full awning. PLus the truck is so wide I barely fit anyway, so I don't think that will be a problem. I haven't hit any trees at speed that I know of. I might have brushed a few easing into a driveway or barn lot. Parking garages are a b*&ch with just about anything up high.

Thanks for the reply

Joe

1953 Tractor Guy
Central Indiana

MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan » Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 18:13 PM

I think your best best is to use one of the Wilson antennas mounted to the center of your cab. For the cost the W-500 might be your best bet and the 1k will be an upgrade so it dose not get warm with the 400w you might run threw it one day. You can also buy the small spring for it if needed. Oh, it's up to you if you use the permanent mount or the mag mount. Better RF coupling with the permanent mount. They both work similar. With the Mag just make sure you have clean paint.

If you choose to use a whip buy the DXE-WP-102. Goggle it and you will read why I recommend that one. If you really like to DX I would see if you can find an old Amazer (Grey). Not the Black, white or orange ones! Yes, there is a difference.

Below is just for reading of Pro's and Con's for antenna type and placements.

Part of your issue is that you have a PU. The radiation pattern is split between the bed and the cab. It is all connected by wires and maybe a screw or two but that does not make a good RF connection or pattern. Some people like to connect the cab, bed and frame all together with ground straps. I have no personal trials with that so I have no comment how affective that is.

My personal experience is if you use a whip on a PU then make it a Co-Phase in the bed with two ball mounts about 8 inches down from the DaveMade of the bed and 6 to 8" in from the sides. That being said, their is a theory on the correct separation for proper Co-phase. If the coax connections are less than 3/4 of an inch from the cab then loosen the bed bolts and pull the bed away from the cab.

Problem: you have that Steel frame mounted in the bed and that wont work for the duel Whip. So, with that in mind pass on the Co-phase. Don't mount an antenna to that steel frame because of the nasty radiation pattern it will have and it will you wont like it if you like to do DX-ing. Around town it will be fine.

Ok, I think I said my partial piece on this. Enough to get you going anyway.

~Steve

MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan » Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 23:11 PM

A few things you need to know when building the Co-Phase system.

Spacing of the antennas in a dual antenna installation will have an affect on the radiation pattern of the antennas. Technically, spacing between the antennas should be nine feet to have the most balanced pattern. If that distance cannot be achieved, you will still receive most of the benefits of a dual antenna set-up. However, spacing less than five feet may require some special tuning skills in order to achieve satisfactory SWR readings. It’s just best not to go under 6 feet so you don’t need to be very creative in tuning. Anywhere from 7.5 feet to 9 feet is ok. Try and stay above 8 feet if you can.

Ensure you use a good co-phase harness designed for 27MHz CB Radio. These are usually two lengths of 75 ohm coax joined to form a single 50 ohm connection to your transceiver. Keeping the two feeder lengths exactly the same length is very important.

Build your own. So, two lengths of RG-59A/U at 6 to 8 feet each that join to RG-8X of 6 to 8 feet will work fine.

Now, if running lots of power you might want to upgrade the RG-59. Oh, if you don’t like the RG stuff, use the LMR coax. LMR is very good. Oh, use silver connectors, it will help.

One other thing; Make sure when you are tuning the system you use a good meter with a reflected power range so you can see the reflected power back into the radio.
I use a Bird or Diamond meters. MFJ’s are good too I just prefer the others.

Also, put the meter box at the junction not at the radio end. The best tuning point for all Transmitters is at the closest point to the antenna not the radio. Make sure you have a clean RF connection when you mount the antennas.

I think I have covered everything you need to know.

Have Fun and take your time.

~Steve

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Any radio I want.
Name: Red Bud
Home Phone: 8702102009

Post by Pro-Tech » Wednesday, 29 April 2009, 12:11 PM

I've never noticed this thread before. Whoever set up the poll left out Bad Boy and Skip Shooter. They must have never talked to any ducks in or from the South. 8)

FTRDX
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by FTRDX » Wednesday, 29 April 2009, 17:58 PM

Jesse,
Your feedback on the new 10K Comps ?
Some play them down pretty hard,yet Im finding very good results from mine (mirror mounted/Freightliner)
SWwwwERRRS right on 1.2

CACTUSFLOWER
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Radio: Cobra 1000
Name: Clair

Post by CACTUSFLOWER » Thursday, 30 April 2009, 14:29 PM

For price and performance I like the Wilson 5000. :cheers: I've used a lot of different antennas 102"whips,quad wound,oil filled and others except for the 10k. I haven't tried the 10k it's kind of out of my price range. :moneyeyes:

TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST TOUGH PEOPLE DO

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy959&cobra
Name: David Layton
Home Phone: 5186956363

Post by Capndave » Friday, 22 May 2009, 6:45 AM

For the base antenna Ive always used a antron 99 with ground plane kit,as for the mobile all must bow to the mighty wilson!!! :pirat:

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Friday, 22 May 2009, 7:03 AM

I refuse to bow to an antenna that is not American made with an American name. How can we keep sending American dollars over seas as business as usual. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Just stop the flow just one percent and you may save 10,000 American jobs. Think of that the next time you reach out for a Wilson, Francis, Firestick, 102, Hustler, etc...... If our industry can set an example, other types of U.S. industries may not fade away. 8)

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Friday, 22 May 2009, 8:27 AM

I go with what works for me,no matter what it is.you show me a radio that is made by americans hands only,in this hobby youve contributed to another country in some way or another.

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Friday, 22 May 2009, 9:09 AM

This is thread is about antennas. I'm sure there is a thread abuot what happend to American made radios on a forum some where. It would be ashame in the future that there is a post on "What happend to American made CB antennas?". All these years Americans have been investing in other countries at the cash register and now it's finally catching up to them. Sure companies like AIG took us over the edge. But every day Americans allow money to flow out of the country and containers to pile up in our ports. We got more cars and containers than ever sitting waiting for more money to flow out before they can finally go to the consumer. Only Americans can get us out of this mess. And choices of where your money goes is still disappearing every day and night. If I would have known or could afford to buy Wilson when Barjan did. I would have saved that company like I did for Skip Shooter. And thank God an American bought the rights to MACO and didn't contract out to Mexico or China. There are people out there willing to put there money where there mouth is and save bits and pieces of CB American history. I could go for profit only and contract out myself and triple my profits. But that would effect 8 different vendors and they all have an impact of the economy. These people have families like us, and need to pay thier bills like us. So please the next time you look at your Wilson, or notice a Francis on a big truck. Know there is a bigger picture that effects all of us. We back out reading the mail. 8)

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Friday, 22 May 2009, 9:51 AM

Point taken,I here ya man,10-10 on the side :pirat:

cougar
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by cougar » Tuesday, 02 June 2009, 6:09 AM

I have 2 base antana,s up in the air 1 is a A-99 the other is a I-max 2000 both have 1.2 swr,s and to my opinion the A-99 out does the I-max on transmit and recive

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Tuesday, 02 June 2009, 15:24 PM

Ive said that myself but there are all kinds of opinions on that matter,ive retired my pc 122 and got my hands on some real gear,modern ,more power,we'll just see how my new A-99 does now.The other one was taken down in a ice storm this past winter,but I just got my new one and I'm going to rig it better ,higher,the A-99 is a good antenna! :pirat:

the_junkie
Donor
Donor
Radio: uniden pc68

Post by the_junkie » Tuesday, 02 June 2009, 17:03 PM

i agree that buying american made is a good thing...my 55's are american made...

HOWEVER...i think it's wrong for any company to make someone feel guilty for buying a good product not made in America...but last i knew...

http://www.cbworldinformer.com/200107/wilson_barjan.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

barjan, an AMERICAN company, based here in Illinois, owns and manufactures the Wilson Antenna line

MOBILE:

1996 S-10 Pickup Truck
Aluminum Topper
200amp Leece-Neville
2 55-r4s
Cobra 29
1 pill Bull-It and 2 pill Bull-It
1x4 X-Force
5 Fighting Sticks
3 group 31 Batteries
PalStar PM2000am
All this = RELAY RELAY RELAY RELAY
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Wednesday, 03 June 2009, 14:31 PM

I have a wilson 200 silver load and that is a nice inexpensive antenna,It tunes in great and i can talk very far away with good reports. :pirat:

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Thursday, 04 June 2009, 12:21 PM

To begin with the duck said to bow to the antenna and I told him what bowing to the antenna synbolizes. Bar Jan is American owned but they contract out the making of thier products. Even if they did assemble thier antennas here the parts would still be made in China. Your link didn't prove they were made in the USA. Just the history of Wilson's fate. If that is your idea of an American success story than go to your local GM dealership and let them read the link.

djrebel236
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by djrebel236 » Thursday, 04 June 2009, 13:41 PM

Wilson Antennas are made in America...Dj

I'm banned for talking smack!

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Thursday, 04 June 2009, 19:00 PM

What's the twenty on the Wilson Antenna factory?

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Thursday, 04 June 2009, 19:24 PM

East moline Illinois U.S.A :pirat:

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Thursday, 04 June 2009, 20:01 PM

Did you google for this information or did you ask Bar-Jan?

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Friday, 05 June 2009, 3:32 AM

I went the web site for wilson and says A barjan company at the bottom of the page. :pirat:

djrebel236
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by djrebel236 » Friday, 05 June 2009, 5:38 AM

leave it go Pro-Teck, if ya dont like wilsons then dont buy one, keep on buying the junk that you sale, ...Dj

I'm banned for talking smack!

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Friday, 05 June 2009, 6:13 AM

Your signature says "Don't argue with an idiot......" That's great advice and shows you are more intellegent than the usuall duck so I won't argue with you. You are a major player in the industry and are more knowledgable than the rest of us. :puke_r:

Hazelnut 7201
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: General Lee

Post by Hazelnut 7201 » Friday, 05 June 2009, 6:42 AM

djrebel236 wrote:leave it go Pro-Teck, if ya dont like wilsons then dont buy one, keep on buying the junk that you sale, ...Dj
Wow! That wasn't necessary. :icon_e_surprised:

What is wrong with being proud of our country and supporting what industry we have left? China already owns enough of the United States.
and Please expand on your term "junk", how about some numbers and tests. Is the Wilson quiter than a SkipShooter?
I was thinking about trying a SkipShooter II, I like its narrow profile.

Have a nice day.

Hazelnut

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Friday, 05 June 2009, 11:01 AM

OMG! Check out that duck's web site! He mentions he is a proud American and has references to 9/11. :puke_l:

Cj1
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Tram D300
Antenna: IMAX 2000

Post by Cj1 » Saturday, 06 June 2009, 10:13 AM

i use a Wilson 200 trucker on my vehicle and get out great!

122 NYC
Tram D300
Yeticom MK2
Cobra 200
President Lincoln
President HR 2510
Uniden 2830(CS)
RCI 2950/70
LiL Wil
Wilson 5000 Trucker
102" Steel Whip

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Tuesday, 09 June 2009, 15:35 PM

No doubt ,my buddy uses a trucker with a northstar radio and he gave me a shout from auburn ny and I live near saratoga and he sounded great!,as long as it is tuned in right any antenna works out real well :pirat: .

Hazelnut 7201
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: General Lee

Post by Hazelnut 7201 » Tuesday, 16 June 2009, 9:43 AM

I apologize for bringing this back up, I found this while researching something else. I am not chosing sides, I only accept what I read as being a legally acceptable declaration by the company. "Made in the USA" is subject to many interpretations. I have no plans for a road trip to E.Moline.

The following paragraph is copied from Wilson's Technical Support pages:
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/tsmyths.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. NO - The Wilson antennas are not made in China, Japan, or Taiwan.
When Barjan Products LLC., purchased Wilson Antenna in August of 1999, we saw no reason to change the way the antennas were manufactured. For 6 months, Barjan sent a staff of management, supervisors and production line workers to Wilson to learn the correct way to manufacture antennas. In December of 1999, we moved the complete factory to E. Moline, Illinois - lock, stock and barrel! We moved all the manufacturing equipment to the new location and continue to manufacture the complete line of Wilson products from this new location. You are invited to come see for yourself anytime and take a tour of the facility. Maintaining the quality of the antenna and its production is still the #1 theme at Wilson Antenna.

Have a nice day.

Hazelnut

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Saturday, 11 July 2009, 17:46 PM

I have recently purchased a viper 52" whip and am going to marry it to my sparkified 29 chrome with RFX 75 finals I keep you informed,all must still bow to the mighty wilson!!!!!! :rambo:

RVCB
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by RVCB » Sunday, 12 July 2009, 2:46 AM

I love my Wilson 1000 on the top of an old F250.

I find it interesting to see the Wilson 1000/5000 family has 42% of the vote so far.

Wow.

Pro-Tech
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Pro-Tech » Sunday, 12 July 2009, 15:12 PM

Has any one been to this place in Illinois? If so are the Wilson brand just assembled there or if you actually took the tour would you see boxes from china were the whips and shafts are made? Do they actually have a machine that winds thier famous copper coils? Or do they come pre made from China ready to assemble? The next time I go and visit our dealers in the mid west I am going to stop by and take the tour and check out the dumpters for the packaging thier raw materials come in.

Back in the early 90's I used to work at a Wal-Mart distribution center in Memphis. The commercials on TV back then promoted how they will sell American made brands. Well my job was a verifier for this red neck operation. That consisted of verifying merchandise that would go to each store, thier way of double checking that each trailer had exactly what the invoices said. They gave me a walking meter to verify that I actually walked so many miles each day to prove I was doing my job. Well during these miles of daily verification I never counted any products made in a Amercia except for dog houses that looked like igloos. But Wal-Mart paid millions of dollars advertising how they are helping American businesses.

We back out reading the mail. 8)

southerntrucker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 29GTL
Name: Johnny
Home Phone: 9039518714

Post by southerntrucker » Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 10:50 AM

iv got a 102in whip on my truck and its tha best antanna iv used so far. iv tried wilsons and 10k's but i always had problems with them. so i went and got 2 102in whips. aint had any problem with them yet. their both hooked up and my swr's are 1.2 :)
Last edited by southerntrucker on Wednesday, 29 July 2009, 15:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another dag-gum mudduck!

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Friday, 17 July 2009, 6:24 AM

I just bought a viper 52"and I am going to install it with the tram tri mag mount and my 29 with the RFX,we'll see what that does. :rambo:

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Sunday, 19 July 2009, 12:16 PM

all I have to say is not bad,just hooked up my new antenna to my sparkified cobra and the result is impressive.the tram tri-mag mount is tough,it came with tramflex wire installed.I did what instructions said,I measured four inches from the bottom of the whip and slide down the coil to the mark,I adjusted the SWR knob a touch and I keyed up and got good reports.So if anyone is thinking about getting a viper antenna,do it.I am impressed,I was going to get a 10k but I decide to to try this one,this has to be the easiest antenna to tune that ive ever used.I am a staunch Wilson fan,but this antenna is just as good.10-10 on the side.

arbutler
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Name: Internet Explorer

Post by arbutler » Sunday, 19 July 2009, 20:58 PM

Could you put a Predator 10K on a spring then on a magnetic mount?
Just wondering!
Thanks!

AKblue
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Radio: Galaxy 33+

Post by AKblue » Sunday, 19 July 2009, 21:11 PM

102" 6" spring, hit OR and Australia, but that was back in th 90's.

Capndave
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by Capndave » Monday, 20 July 2009, 15:05 PM

A 10k on the mag mount would work good,the spring I dont know about.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Monday, 20 July 2009, 15:35 PM

I run, for drive around, a 10k single coil with the 9 inch shaft, so that would be the best case scenario for running with a spring. I played with it and with a few inches off the stinger ( I used an old wilson stinger I had) it matched fine but using a stainless steel potbelly whip spring it is not stiff enough for my taste. There is just too much wind drag. This was all on a puck mount in the roof but same deal on a mag mount deck. The 10k has a fat shaft, fat spring, and is long, and has a lot of wind drag, so there you have it. My single coil 10k tunes out at about 6 1/2 foot long, just 2 foot shy of a real whip, so why not do the real whip if you have the strength in the mount? It would be cheaper, more efficient, and more rugged. In my case the whip it puts it too tall and in overpass country but works great while stationary.

-drdx

Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

southerntrucker
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: cobra 29GTL
Name: Johnny
Home Phone: 9039518714

Post by southerntrucker » Wednesday, 29 July 2009, 15:38 PM

a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.

Just another dag-gum mudduck!

wegarrett
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by wegarrett » Wednesday, 29 July 2009, 17:46 PM

southerntrucker wrote:a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.

you have more than 1 swr on your vehicle?

is it possible you didnt have something right with the 10k and the wilson?
ive ran both of them on several applications they worked fine for me....i
prefer a 55 coil type antenna myself.....ive ran em all and the rest are
sitting in the garage collecting spider webs the 55 is on the roof workin
it.....trust me trucker you will and do know when I roll thru double S......

They call me Megadong and im cruisin thru

55builtit4me
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Name: ben

Post by 55builtit4me » Thursday, 30 July 2009, 16:54 PM

wegarrett wrote:
southerntrucker wrote:a 10k on a spring? i dont think so. i mean, if u wanna do that than you can. but i wouldnt recamend it. i seen a rock hauler down their in mississippi. he had an old spring with a 10k on it and the whip on the 10k was about 5in from the ground!!! it looked freakin stupid! i fell outta my seat laughing when i saw it! lol oh and another thing......that spring will mess with ur swr's too.

you have more than 1 swr on your vehicle?

is it possible you didnt have something right with the 10k and the wilson?
ive ran both of them on several applications they worked fine for me....i
prefer a 55 coil type antenna myself.....ive ran em all and the rest are
sitting in the garage collecting spider webs the 55 is on the roof workin
it.....trust me trucker you will and do know when I roll thru double S......

They call me Megadong and im cruisin thru
are you a truck driver? if so, are you running an immortal? I want to get one to try on a little car the old lady has...

i'm glad to know i'm not the only one who loves them BADDD to the bonne 55 antennas ;)

wegarrett
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by wegarrett » Sunday, 02 August 2009, 10:06 AM

i have an immortal i ran at my last job on a 379 daycab mounted on the mirror worked awesome and tuned awesome,
but the new job i have the bossman is kinda picky about what goes on his truck, so i showed em the immortal and he
wasnt having that thing on his truck so its sitting over in the corner.....guess i would sell it if someone was interested,
i dont plan on leaving the company anytime soon if at all so its of no use to me.....on my pickup i have the R4 and am
planning on getting another R4 for the other pickup i have......

hit me with PM if your interested.....thing wasnt on the truck maybe 3 months and bossman and me got crossed so i told
em to stick it......

55 is the shiz

rabbiporkchop88
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: many
Name: scot
Home Phone: 215-264-3992

Post by rabbiporkchop88 » Saturday, 08 August 2009, 21:47 PM

LordDragr wrote:I'm trying to find a new antenna for my mobile so I figured this would be a good way to choose. The choices are ones that I might go with but not sure yet.
Due to the terms of service ,I am prohibited from advertising for a non sponsor, but out of the choices in the poll, I would take the wilson 5000.
My homemade antennas have a much higher q factor than the wilson 5000, but of the choices presented the wilson takes the cake. The more copper in your antenna, the better you will be able to hear out in the distance. It's kinda nice to be able to talk to my wife mobile to mobile from 65 miles away.

speed of light through a vacuum divided by frequency equals free space wavelength in a vacuum multiplied by velocity of propagation equals electrical wavelength

De_Wildfire
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Washington/TRAM/K3
Antenna: Imax, G5RV, Invtd L

Post by De_Wildfire » Wednesday, 12 August 2009, 9:16 AM

One of my favorite antennas that I have is an inverted "L" with five ground radials that range from 75 feet down to 25 feet. I still need to put more underground. It's res. on 3 mhz because it's a little long but it gets into that skip zone on 11/10 meter without a problem on low power. Those shortwave radio stations sure do peg the meter on the low bands along with everyone else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic