Mounting Imax 2000

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Robert
Antenna: Tram 1498
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Mounting Imax 2000

Post by battyice »

This weekend I plan to get my Imax 2000 setup. I have about 15' of mast that will be anchored in the ground and clamped at the eve of my workshop.

A few questions for you all.

1. What is the best way to store extra coax cable? I will probably have 15' extra of RG-213 to deal with.

2. I was wondering if there would be any problem with installing a small FM stereo antenna on the mast, just below the Imax? I have been wanting to setup an FM antenna for a long time, and it would be very simple to add it to this project - just not sure if it would impact my ability to transmit/receive with the CB antenna. The FM antenna is one of the 20" round units, made of aluminum.

thanks in advance.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Mounting Imax 2000

Post by MDYoungblood »

Under the antenna make a RF choke with some of the extra coax, 5 loops about 4 1/2" in diameter (inside the loop), that will use some of it up, the rest can be looped inside anywhere it won't be damaged. The little FM antenna may or may don't cause a problem, best try it and see. Don't put it directly under he antenna by maybe just above the roof peak. Check the SWR before installing the FM antenna and after.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Antenna is up. Coax was too stiff to make a choke, I cooked the excess inside. Should have bought a shorter length...Oh well.

SWR is nearly flat. 1.2 to 1.3.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

I meant "coiled" the excess coax inside. Autocorrect on phone got me.

Of course I get the antenna all setup...And nothing but dead air from the CB tonight.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Here is a picture of the finished product.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Stoneman
Antenna: One Shot Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Post by Stoneman »

Did ya Ground the antenna, couldn't tell by the pic...
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Mast is grounded, but I did not run a ground up to the antenna itself. Are you supposed to ground the mounting bracket of the antenna?

In hindsight I wish I had mounted the antenna on the eve for the main part of the shop. Would have been almost as easy and gotten the base of the antenna up over the rest of the building. Might get a new mast pipe and move it.

Any idea how far a piece of 1.5" galvanized pipe can extend above the eve mount and still handle the wind load of the antenna? I would like to get it as high as possible, but don't want it to fold over in the wind.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
Stoneman
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Stoneman
Antenna: One Shot Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000 GTL

Post by Stoneman »

battyice wrote: May 10th, 2017, 3:46 am Mast is grounded, but I did not run a ground up to the antenna itself. Are you supposed to ground the mounting bracket of the antenna?

In hindsight I wish I had mounted the antenna on the eve for the main part of the shop. Would have been almost as easy and gotten the base of the antenna up over the rest of the building. Might get a new mast pipe and move it.

Any idea how far a piece of 1.5" galvanized pipe can extend above the eve mount and still handle the wind load of the antenna? I would like to get it as high as possible, but don't want it to fold over in the wind.
Sure, I would...You can never have enough ground on that antenna... :cheers:
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Thanks. Any thoughts on the mast pipe? I would love to get the antenna up a little higher.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Cool pics, especially the Holley double pumper,, lol. A lot of us use chain-link fence top rail as mast because of the swagged end, tight fit and easy to put together. Threaded pipe, the threaded area is a weak point unless you guidewire (guy-wire?) it at the joints. You could watch the local classifieds for a tower, they go over well with the misses. A metal mast going down to the earth (ground) doesn't need a separate electrical ground wire, the metal mast itself is the conductor.

3's

Greg

battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Greg, I took the plunge and ordered two 21' lengths of 16 gauge galvanized fence rail. Hope to have the antenna in the clouds in a few weeks.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

battyice wrote: July 16th, 2017, 1:49 pm Greg, I took the plunge and ordered two 21' lengths of 16 gauge galvanized fence rail. Hope to have the antenna in the clouds in a few weeks.
Thats basically how I put my antenna up.. Dug a hole 3 1/2 feet down, 1 1/2 foot wide circle, placed a threaded 10 foot 2" pipe in the center, mixed 11 bags of concrete with rebarb within 3 sections of the concrete, then got another threaded 10 foot 2" pipe, screwed them together, then put a bracket at the eve of my roof, then made a sleeve out of a piece of 3" pipe , welded nuts to the outside of the sleeve , this slides over a reducer that goes from 2" to 1" pipe, then I have a 10 foot 1" pipe into my zero five colossal 5kw antenna.. Right now the bottom of my antenna is about 26 feet off the ground, I am in the process of going up another 10 feet so I can get to the ideal height of 30 feet off the ground. I am going to remove the sleeve and get a 10 foot piece of 1 1/2' pipe and I am going to slide it into the 2" pipe about 3 feet and cross bolt it, then going to take the 10 foot 1" thats connected to the antenna into the 1 1/2" by 2-3 feet then cross bolt that.. Also switching out my coax from rg213 to LMR 600 ultraflex.. Hope thats not to confusing... LOL! :dance: Good luck with your setup.

73's
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

What is ideal about 30' off the ground?
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

battyice wrote: July 17th, 2017, 6:04 pm What is ideal about 30' off the ground?
I have heard from a bunch of people and read about the sweet spot for vertical ground plane antenna should be at least 30 feet off the ground from the feed point.... So thats why I am raising my antenna another 10 feet..
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

thanks - I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you meant the base should be exactly 30' off the ground.

11 meters = 36 feet. That is the minimum height I am going for.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

battyice wrote: July 18th, 2017, 3:47 am thanks - I misunderstood you the first time. I thought you meant the base should be exactly 30' off the ground.

11 meters = 36 feet. That is the minimum height I am going for.
Its all good, no worries.. Yeah, mine will be around 32-33 feet, and I am good with that... :dance:

73's brother...
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

When I am finished with the new mast I will be sure to post back with any improvements I've noticed. I've been wondering if having the base of the antenna just over a steel roof does anything...good or bad?

I was talking to a local the other night telling him that I plan to raise the antenna...then I heard "Not sure why you want to go higher, you're pegging the meter in Northern Virginia!".
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
TrblShooter

Post by TrblShooter »

battyice wrote: July 19th, 2017, 3:25 am When I am finished with the new mast I will be sure to post back with any improvements I've noticed. I've been wondering if having the base of the antenna just over a steel roof does anything...good or bad?

I was talking to a local the other night telling him that I plan to raise the antenna...then I heard "Not sure why you want to go higher, you're pegging the meter in Northern Virginia!".

The height should definetly help... Anyway, let us know.. :cheers:
narfedwards1
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: the fonz
Call Sign: 421
Antenna: Gainmaster homebrew@25'
Radio: CPI CP2000

Post by narfedwards1 »

The metal roof will act like a giant ground plane ...mite even make it a tad directional.That thing is gonna kick some serious butt...I want one....haha
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Post by Blue Ox2 »

narfedwards1 wrote: July 25th, 2017, 5:51 pm The metal roof will act like a giant ground plane ...mite even make it a tad directional.That thing is gonna kick some serious butt...I want one....haha

Sure thing my friend. What he said. You'll be talkin' with "Georgia 1" and the FL boys.
I'll be listening for ya.

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")

battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Well, I was not able to raise the antenna with the full 36' of mast that I wanted. It got away from me, and I ended up bending about 8' of the pipe. I decided to cut my losses, literally. Cut off the bent section, and stood it up with what was left. Best guess is that there is about 25' of pipe above the ground. The antenna base is now well over the roof , and the tip is over the nearby trees.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

It appears that I am "getting out there" pretty good - last night I was able to talk to someone 26 miles away, according to Google Maps. I am quite happy with that. Once I get some skip conditions again we will see how the new setup performs.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sorry to hear about the mishap, one of the reasons my antennas aren't on the roof, no help. At least your on the air, happy DX'ing.

3's

Greg

battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by battyice »

Forgot to mention in my earlier posts, SWR on my previous setup was 1.2-1.3. Now it is a flat 1.0-1.1 across the channels. Hopped on 38 LSB last night and made contact with someone in Wisconsin, so everything seems to be working well.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Post by Blue Ox2 »

Thatis great Robert. Sorry about the bent pipebut glad you got itworked out.

I'll be listening for ya.

Praise the Lord there was not any physical injury.

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")