Antenna Engineering Question

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
RodinKy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: IMAX 2000/Maco Comet
Radio: DX2517 & Mark IV

Antenna Engineering Question

Post by RodinKy »

This may be a stupid question, but why is the gamma match always on the bottom of a vertical mounted beam, it would seem like it would work better on top, any ideas or theories?
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: Antenna Engineering Question

Post by 443 Arizona »

dont you mean, "why is it always on the beginning and not the end" of the antenna? (just trying to help) :icon_e_wink: now that i have confused this, my work is done, :bounce:
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

This is a really good question and my only answer I can come up with is the designer drew it up that way and the manufacturer built it to the designer's specs. If you look at other brands of beams most are on the bottom element but a few have it on top, the old Wilson was on top, Mosley who is the manufacturer of the Maco antennas has them on top of their 11m beams as well. Years ago when I had a Moonraker IV I tried both ways, didn't see any difference so I left it on top, (too lazy to climb the tower again :lol: ).

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

my thoughts were that with the gamma rod turned up it would be easier for water to get inside and damage it . I know most have a seal on them but a few years in the sun the rubber would crack. just my thoughts on this.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Post by The DB »

Why do you think putting it above the element would be better?

The thing is it is so close to the element that it doesn't really matter. You can put it above, below, in front or behind the element, or anywhere else around the element for that matter, and you won't see a difference performance wise. Electrically these are all pretty much the same.

Beam antennas are generally fed from the bottom, that is the direction the coax comes from, so mechanically it is easier to build an antenna that way, that is pretty much it.

Also, many beams used on other bands are fed on different sides. I have a 2 meter beam that is fed from the top, although it uses a beta match. I have also seen them that are fed from the front (beam direction) of the driven element.

The DB
RodinKy
Donor
Donor
Antenna: IMAX 2000/Maco Comet
Radio: DX2517 & Mark IV

Post by RodinKy »

Thanks for the replies, I just wondered after looking at pics of beams why they were mostly on the bottom element. Good answers all of them.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think on an antenna like the Moonraker the engineers put the gamma matcher on the bottom of the vertical driven element so it could compensate for the mast being seen as part of the antenna and might make for easier tuning.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department