Rotary antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Rotary antenna

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I picked up this CDE Rotor set up its a 8 wire I don't know how it wires up never had one. Anyone have some info on this would be great. Really wanting to try it out I just don't want to hook it up wrong and fry it. Thanks

sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Re: Rotary antenna

Post by sonoma »

each wire location is marked 1 to 8. just match up the box and rotar with the same wire to each pin. 1 to 1 , 2 to 2 etc.the rotar needs the 8 pin connector also

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

ill look I think someone has cut the wires close to the bottom of the rotor. Do I take them apart and look at the color codes that way and if so do I have to reline the rotor so it don't turn more one way then the other way how do I get it center again.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

the rotor does not just keep turning. it has stops on it. you have a calibrate knob on the front.way I do mine is tun the rotor as far as it goes one way. calibrate the knob then loosen the rod to the antenna and manually turn the antenna to line up with the rotor if it shows north on the box point the antenna north. then tighten up the bolts that holds the mast the antenna is on so it does not slip. thats how I do mine. I have 2 ham 4 rotors and 4 control boxes. can change out a box and it works just fine. the link to the owners manual should help you a lot. if you put ham iv rotor manual in your browser you will get even more manuals to look at.

http://www.radiomanual.info/s ... _W0MTU.pdf

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

On the bottom side of the rotor there should be a small plate with 2 screws, remove the plate and you will see the terminal screws just like on the back of the rotor control box. If you plan to use it read the manual that sonoma linked, you will need to order some 8 wire cable, 2 of the wires in the cable are larger gauge, they are the power leads to the motor in the rotor, the rest are controls. the wires in the cable will be colored, put the same wire on the control box terminal on the rotor terminal. It's as easy as wiring a mic.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

Ya I got it to work the gage is not working on the box though the Potentiometer is good so it must be in the box not sure what to look for on that.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

It could be the rotor motor needs to be calibrated, instructions to do that are in the manual. Second check the wiring too, that is always a possibility.

3's

Greg

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

What is the model of the motor? The control boxes are all the same.

3's

Greg

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

MDYoungblood wrote: September 14th, 2017, 9:45 am On the bottom side of the rotor there should be a small plate with 2 screws, remove the plate and you will see the terminal screws just like on the back of the rotor control box. If you plan to use it read the manual that sonoma linked, you will need to order some 8 wire cable, 2 of the wires in the cable are larger gauge, they are the power leads to the motor in the rotor, the rest are controls. the wires in the cable will be colored, put the same wire on the control box terminal on the rotor terminal. It's as easy as wiring a mic.

3's

Greg
actually...It's easier than wiring a Mic!

wiring a Mic requires soldering skills...and a steady hand...both which apparently I'm lacking... :icon_e_sad:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

have you verified that the needle is not just stuck as a cb radio meter some times does.

EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

let me look you want the model number from underneath the rotor.