Hex Beam

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Hex Beam

Post by De_Wildfire »

Anyone own a HEX beam? That looks like a good one to hide behind the house. Half over the rear slope of the roof and half out in the yard shielded by trees. I live on a 150 foot hill above sea level. so I think the height is ok. Thinking of getting a Yaesu Rotor G-450A with controller. Are they good in the wind or any issues? I will be putting it up about 25 feet and the rotor at the bottom. It's going to be for 20-10M.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Hex Beam

Post by MDYoungblood »

I've been debating with myself for a couple years now about getting one, I've got it down to this one, https://www.k4kio.com/ . The only thing that worries me is ice and wind, I had a Moonraker IV in the 70's and wind and ice took out the reflector and 3 upper elements. I'd recommend watching the YouTubes on hex and spider beams.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

Hey..

I have/use a K4KIO hexbeam for about 6 years on the flat portion of my roof up about 35ft.

Windload is 5.1 Sq Ft (0.5 sq m).

It is mounted to a quad legged highway sign holder with a Yaesu G-450A rotator.

Takes a few modification to make it work...but it works just fine.

The only real problem I've had is keeping up with the sandbags rotting out.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

Thanks for the feed back. I will order from K4KIO instead of HRO. Six years not bad at 35 feet. It will be nice to take down the old G5RV and use the HEX beam.
Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Post by Bombero »

De_Wildfire wrote: January 19th, 2018, 1:56 pm Thanks for the feed back. I will order from K4KIO instead of HRO. Six years not bad at 35 feet. It will be nice to take down the old G5RV and use the HEX beam.
Hey..

I have had great luck DXing with this hexbeam.

Dealing with the owner Leo B Shoemaker is great, but just don't say to much...it's hard to get him to hang up.

Good luck with your decision and give me a holler on the air when you get it up and running.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman