drdx-pedition 2015 Nov 22-28 be there be there be there

If you are looking for, or want to share a current event... Please post in here.

Moderator: JR Moderator

drdx
Donor
Donor

drdx-pedition 2015 Nov 22-28 be there be there be there

Post by drdx » Friday, 06 November 2015, 15:15 PM

Hello all. I'm going on another cruise Thanksgiving week and plan to operate from a ship again. Last year, I was able to make contact on AM with Jesse James and then with many others including MDY on SSB. The rigs last year were a magnum s3 for am and a uniden 980 feeding a little wil on my balcony, almost totally surrounded by steel.

This year is a little different. Closer to time I will post my operating times. The Fannnnntastic news is that my antenna this year will be on the top deck of the ship, not blocked by anything at all. If I can make it with minimal wattage from that tiny balcony I can SURELY make it from the top of the ship.

How am I gonna pull that off? Simple...........I will be talking farther on less than any cb'er before (to my knowledge). I'll be using a Midland handie talkie (4 watts). Seriously, if we have conditions this deal is doable. I'll be 12 stories above the water, a dream setup. I'm upgrading the rubber duck antenna and will be adapting a mobile antenna to work in its place and will fashion either a counterpoise or a quick clip to the ship ground wire. I plan on operating on 34 am again and I don't have any extra channels to work with. I may even take a small mag mount to stick to the boat rail but I have to be careful and not get caught and the ship has cameras all over. We use FRS talkies on the boat so the cb talkie will blend right in.

So, save the dates. If you're sitting around the house that week drinking beer then keep me in mind. I can't reveal my ship name but I'll be bouncing between Miami, St. Thomas, the Dominican Republic and best of all Grand Turk, where I had my best luck last year.

Stay tuned and I'll update closer to departure.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Referrals: 1

Re: drdx-pedition 2015 Nov 22-28 be there be there be there

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 06 November 2015, 16:25 PM

Digging you out last year on AM was probably one in a million....But it worked!....But now I think your dreaming if you think that hand-held walkie-talkie's going to make it back to the States on AM. :mrgreen:

Never the less...Just say "when" and I'll swing the beam around! :cheers:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

barefoothank
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: trc-485, 959,979
Antenna: lil will,A99
Name: Henry

Post by barefoothank » Friday, 06 November 2015, 16:44 PM

Count me in.
587, a nudder mudder

theglide
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Name: Welby
Cell Phone: 3211231234

Post by theglide » Friday, 06 November 2015, 17:42 PM

I live in Florida, east coast, so it should be an easy contact for me if conditions permit.

Big blue
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RHF618; 500Z Amp.
Antenna: Maco M103C
Name: AZ 590

Post by Big blue » Friday, 06 November 2015, 20:03 PM

I'll swing the house your direction as I should be around the shop that week.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL » Friday, 06 November 2015, 22:08 PM

I'll try to get you. I'm on east coast of FL too. Depending on where you are, it may be easier from the West coast of FL, but hey I'll give it a shot. I'll have to break out the tnt 600hd and 980. Have fun on the trip and don't get into trouble!!! Be safe and don't forget the suntan lotion.

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: too many to list
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Name: karl hammons sr

Post by halfwatt959 » Friday, 06 November 2015, 22:33 PM

I'll try again this year. Maybe have beter luck than last year. I heard ya but couldn't get back. good luck and 73s
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 07 November 2015, 14:30 PM

Hey drdx,
I'll give it try on AM this time around but channel 34 has hetrodyne harmonics (27.383.0AM) from my DSL router, if I see your on the computer and trying to make some contacts I'll have to turn off the router to give you a shot.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Monday, 09 November 2015, 16:19 PM

drdx...seen something you might be interested in for your trip....Only thing you would need is a antenna!

Search for "VINTAGE COBRA PAK 29 COMMUNICATION SYSTEM"

You could probably swap out the radio with a 40 channel, since I don't think the Cobra 29's case size has changed much over the years, if any.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Tuesday, 10 November 2015, 7:11 AM

That is actually a neat item. Size on a trip like this is a big issue. I've even considered going with a lincoln ii as they are tiny and I own a 2510. I probably need to quit messing around and just get a tiny hf rig and be down but they suck on am, not that this talkie is awesome. But it is really about the challenge. I had my son talk to me with him on the talkie and me mobile and we had about a mile range with the talkie and it's 1 foot duck on it and that was with a lot of obstruction and him at ground level. The sound quality on it was actually quite warm and clear, I'm impressed. Next move is to figure out the largest mobile antenna that my luggage can handle and select the right antenna for the job. I may chicken out and bring a rig to use in the cabin as well but a contact with the talkie would be super cool. The best I can find out, my operating height is around 180 feet above the water when on the top deck. If that doesn't add some "height gain" I don't know what will. In theory I could be too high for close up stuff but I'll soon find out.

-drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all *Censored*, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx

543FtWorth
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: (non-sponsor) 29 LTD
Antenna: *Censored*

Post by 543FtWorth » Tuesday, 10 November 2015, 19:33 PM

Count me in. Hopefully I'll hear you but if not I've made contacts with a couple of other members trying in the past. Everyone tune in if you can, you never know who you'll talk to.

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Tuesday, 17 November 2015, 17:56 PM

This is just a reminder. I'll post my operating times for the next week soon.

My little talkie is ready and I've fitted a flexible 4 foot mobile antenna to it. I'm out of town stuck in Detroit until the weekend so I can't post a pic but the antenna is a flexible fiberglass model with the top foot or so being a thin metal whip. It could be a motorcycle antenna but not sure. If luggage space permits a better setup may be brought but the thought of a contact with this limited gear is my main goal.

We really should do more contact day/events on a more frequent basis. This hobby is about communication via an old method. Let's try to make it happen more often.

-drdx

-drdx

barefoothank
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: trc-485, 959,979
Antenna: lil will,A99
Name: Henry

Post by barefoothank » Tuesday, 17 November 2015, 21:06 PM

I would like to try a dipole again if I can just find a way to get it higher.
587, a nudder mudder

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Friday, 20 November 2015, 9:19 AM

IT's almost time, I'll post my operating times this weekend. Woo hooo!

-drdx

-drdx

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 20 November 2015, 12:05 PM

I tuned me up a Uniden Washington and a little help to hit you with AM modulation drdx, just let me know when.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Friday, 20 November 2015, 14:07 PM

Ok, I may have internet connectivity on the boat from time to time but just in case, the days I'll Definitely be on are next Monday and next Saturday. For now, I plan on operating on 34am at EXACTLY 10am and 2pm EASTERN time. I'll hang out at least 15 minutes or so at those times and will bring extra battery power in case I get any success and talk all of my juice up between chargings. So that's Monday, Nov. 23rd and Saturday Nov 28th to be exact. If I can, I'll post more times if I think I have any conditions. I'll have my phone for video and pics. I still have the video from last year and I'll have my son throw it all up on youtube upon our return. I'm POSITIVE that if contact is made that I am gonna definitely have proof to avoid a BS storm, lol.

-drdx

-drdx

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Friday, 20 November 2015, 16:08 PM

drdx wrote:Ok, I may have internet connectivity on the boat from time to time but just in case, the days I'll Definitely be on are next Monday and next Saturday. For now, I plan on operating on 34am at EXACTLY 10am and 2pm EASTERN time. I'll hang out at least 15 minutes or so at those times and will bring extra battery power in case I get any success and talk all of my juice up between chargings. So that's Monday, Nov. 23rd and Saturday Nov 28th to be exact. If I can, I'll post more times if I think I have any conditions. I'll have my phone for video and pics. I still have the video from last year and I'll have my son throw it all up on youtube upon our return. I'm POSITIVE that if contact is made that I am gonna definitely have proof to avoid a BS storm, lol.

-drdx
Won't be able to try on Monday if your dead-set on those times, since I'll be at work...But if you can try later on like maybe 5:00 Central Time, I can probably swing the house around by then...(or anytime after 5pm Central)

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Friday, 20 November 2015, 16:21 PM

I'll be there, I'll have to turn my DSL router off to hear on channel 34 but I can use my phone for the forum.

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Sunday, 22 November 2015, 11:46 AM

Ok, I'm on the boat but my radio is still in the customs and processing part in my luggage. I'll be on at the above posted times unless I manage some connectivity in Puerto Rico or st. Thomas and can connect with updates. Jesse, I can't get on that late Monday as we do a regular family dinner with my inlaws and they just HAVE to eat at that time as is we are all going to starve or this ship is gonna run out of food or something so that puts me in the early bird special line lol. But it is the only meal we share and they won't always be there to enjoy so ther you have it .

Have a great week and I hope to hear and be heard. Worst case maybe I'll record you guys and share that .

-drdx

-drdx

Bombero
Site Admin
Site Admin
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Cell Phone: 1-800-MUD-DUCK

Post by Bombero » Monday, 23 November 2015, 8:44 AM

Standing by....
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

http://www.hamqsl.com/solar101pic.php

Big blue
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RHF618; 500Z Amp.
Antenna: Maco M103C
Name: AZ 590

Post by Big blue » Monday, 23 November 2015, 9:11 AM

All I heard around 10 am EST was noise toys and Hispanics, likely south of the border..............

Radar-DLDN
Name: JD

Post by Radar-DLDN » Monday, 23 November 2015, 9:39 AM

I think I heard one person mention CBRT a few minutes before 10, but I was mobile and barefoot so I didn't have much of a chance. I will be home and have a little more power for the 2pm attempt so here's hoping!
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Monday, 23 November 2015, 10:14 AM

3's

Greg

The Second Amendment

jessejamesdallas
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by jessejamesdallas » Monday, 23 November 2015, 21:09 PM

There's a chance he may hear y'all...But it would take more than a miracle for it to go the other way around...

drdx
Donor
Donor

Post by drdx » Wednesday, 25 November 2015, 8:41 AM

I'm in st thomas for the day about to go diving. I tried Monday and didn't hear any familiar numbers but did clearly hear I think 906 in Missouri. I was on from just before 10 and just after and was mentioning cbrt.com as part of my shouting as well as a ton if dollar dollar dollar 98 stuff out there. I'm doing longer more repetitive transmissions to make the most if the fade. I did the same thing at 2 with no luck. Next I'll move high positions as I'm getting a little engine noise from the ship. I can hear a lot on 6 and 28. I will try to check back here later but otherwise will try on 34 tomorrow (thanksgiving day) at 10 and 2 eastern as well as the previously mentioned Saturday. I'm able to record so if I hear action I'll roll tape for sure even if I'm not heard.

I will be in San Juan Puerto Rico for Thursday and enroute from grand Turk to Miami Saturday so am your antennas accordingly.

Good luck and happy thanksgiving.

-drdx

-drdx

MDYoungblood

Post by MDYoungblood » Saturday, 28 November 2015, 8:53 AM

Saturday morning at 10AM,

3's

Greg