selling guns to other people?

Hunting, Fishing, Football, Baseball, Nascar, Hockey, and any other sports interest.
start a foot ball pool etc.

Moderator: JR Moderator

SwampHog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

selling guns to other people?

Post by SwampHog » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:26 PM

Im wanting to sell one of my firearms to someone, is there a certain way to do it right? Like should I have a signed document with their foid card number and the gun number and everything?

Punkin Head
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: ICOM IC-775DSP
Antenna: Little Tarheel II
Name: Kevin

Post by Punkin Head » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:37 PM

every gun I have ever sold, I just wrote out a bill of sale, with buyers FULL name, Date of birth, Current address, current phone number, gun make, model, serial number, and had it noterised I kept a copy and gave them the original. I was told that is all you needed in GA to legally sell a gun....that is from one individual to another.
Drake C Line
Little Tarheel II
ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-746 Pro
ICOM IC-2200H
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-3R+

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:42 PM

try to get as much back ground information on the person
if you know someone as a concealed hangun instructor might run the name
or if you know any local police or sheriff
might run the name and DL make sure your not selling to a x-con or someone with criminal background
anything that could protect you in the event that the person or persons use that weapon in a criminal way

its not the gun that kills people its the people that kill people
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

SwampHog
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by SwampHog » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:44 PM

thanks for the info guys, yea i know the guy but i really want to do this safe. So yea im gonna make out a bill of sales and stuff..think I should have a witness signature also?, thanks

Punkin Head
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: ICOM IC-775DSP
Antenna: Little Tarheel II
Name: Kevin

Post by Punkin Head » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:45 PM

one other thing, if you know anybody that works at a gun store or pawn shop that sells guns, and has a FFL, you could get said person that wants to buy the gun, to to that establishment, and get that establishment to run background, sign gun over from you to the buyer, and it may cost a few bucks most only charge like $25 for that. but that way if the person cant own a gun it dont get sold and you wont be in trouble. just a thought.
Drake C Line
Little Tarheel II
ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-746 Pro
ICOM IC-2200H
Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-3R+

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:46 PM

SwampHog wrote:thanks for the info guys, yea i know the guy but i really want to do this safe. So yea im gonna make out a bill of sales and stuff..think I should have a witness signature also?, thanks
and have a witness sign it as well
saying yes he seen you sell the weapon to this person

Donor
Donor

Post by 626 » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:53 PM

gentlemen,

transfer rules vary from state to state. However the ATF and DOJ (department of Justice) both regulate transfers. A FFL (licensed dealer) must complete a transfer in most states. there is a fee as well as a waiting period for those purchasing the weapon. The above mentioned federal agencies have the information pertaining to transfers for your state on their websites. The exception is transfers between immediate family members. In CA there is a DROS (background check) fee, 10 day wait, safety test for hanguns, and safe handling demonstration upon purchase required. In addition CA requires the purchase of a lock or affidavit of Safe ownership.

Arent you glad you dont live in CA.

**NON-SPONSOR**

pipsqueek
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by pipsqueek » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 20:54 PM

Not knowing any of State firearms laws, I agree with Punkin Head. Let a gun shop broker the deal. I'm sure the fee will be nominal and probably relieves you of all liability.

beebuzzbee
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by beebuzzbee » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 21:59 PM

**NON-SPONSOR** is correct. Some states have different protocol for handgun and rifle/shotgun.
A handgun must go through a DOJ or/and state back round check, thus, via a FFL dealer. I know state like Co, Wy & Tx allow long gun transfer between private party. CA, NJ and IL has some of the toughest gun laws. I Would check with a local gun dealer before the transaction take place. One thing for sure, if the transfer takes place crossing a state line, it must go through a FFL license holder in the buyer's resident state.

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: loud & proud
Name: Jeran Goodwin

Guns Guns Guns

Post by SUBWAY » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 23:12 PM

Having had a ffl myself and managing a gun/ sport shop for numerous years I have heard this question a lot.

1. No you do not need to fill out any form legally or otherwise.

2. Yes, it is a good idea to get the persons name, address, id # of some kind (social security preffered), gun make-model
serial #, Price, and date you sold it. Make 2 copies one for you one for them. This is a good idea so if anything ever happened you could assist the ATF in the investigation and it gets the heat off of you.

3. Yes, it is true that a lot of your local gun shops will "sell" you their ffl number for the transaction. I used to charge $10, but have seen and heard of some over $100. That way at least the firearms serial # is documented on ATF form 4473.

If you are still worried some local law agencies will do background checks. I have never worried about selling one of my personal firearms. Ecspesially with proof of sale.

Still in my mind the best gun for me to own is the one that there is no official forms attached to. I would much rather purchase a firearm from a person in the public than a federally liscensed dealer. So go ahead, sell it and buy another one.

Subway

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

revised

Post by SUBWAY » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 23:14 PM

that is in wisconsin anyways. I do realize that some states do have differant laws. but if you don't have to go through a dealer. Don't worry about it just sell sell sell.

350v8s10
Donor
Donor

Re: selling guns to other people?

Post by 350v8s10 » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 23:27 PM

SwampHog wrote:Im wanting to sell one of my firearms to someone, is there a certain way to do it right? Like should I have a signed document with their foid card number and the gun number and everything?

Responding only to your original question: Because you are in Illinois, the Illinois FOID card becomes an important issue. To remove any element of concern (and for your peace of mind) about this sale, now or in the future, run this transaction thru one of your local gun dealers (FFL holder) and be done with it. Don't begrudge the dealer a small fee for his handling the transaction.

This is the best advice I can give you. I am a TX LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) & was an FFL holder & a LEO in IL. We are very fortunate to have a much more favorable political climate for gun owners in TX. That notwithstanding, you need to deal with the IL requirements as that is where you live.

If you don't know of a FFL holder in your area, to handle a transfer between individuals, please send me a PM and I will help locate one for you
Last edited by 350v8s10 on Thursday, 17 April 2008, 23:52 PM, edited 4 times in total.

SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

yup

Post by SUBWAY » Thursday, 17 April 2008, 23:36 PM

I agree with you Terry is does matter what state you are in Also agree texas is a better state to own guns in . Luckily for me wisconsin is not to bad on firearms laws. Unfortunatly we are one of the few states still waiting for concealed carry.
I can't wait , hope it happens soon i'll be the first in line. A lot of people have the wrong idea of guns. The call them weapons first of all.....that upsets me. A spoon or a comb could be weapons for pete sakes. They don't have restrictions on them. People are bad not guns.

reelrebel18
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by reelrebel18 » Wednesday, 17 December 2008, 20:55 PM

here in va face to face transfers are just that money for gun no paperwork

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Wednesday, 17 December 2008, 21:02 PM

in texas if you sell a handgun to a criminal or convict and he is caught with it and it comes back to you
then its you thats in deep do do

SoBo
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by SoBo » Wednesday, 17 December 2008, 21:33 PM

I didn't read all the post so im sure someone mentioned this already, but in some states private sales or legal some not. If its not in your state you have to thru a ffl but If it is legal then I would just write a bill of sale with buyers name, serial number of gun etc.. and if you know the guy then I would even get a copy of his drivers license with it along with his signature and you will be good to go

North Texas Mudduck
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by North Texas Mudduck » Wednesday, 17 December 2008, 21:58 PM

before any one should sell a gun to another person
the background check should be preformed

it dont matter if its private or public sale
if that weapon is used in a criminal way and it makes it back to you then it can really bite you in the butt for a long time

Shaft
Donor
Donor
Radio: SWP General Lee
Antenna: Predator 10k
Name: Bryan
Referrals: 2

Post by Shaft » Wednesday, 17 December 2008, 22:32 PM

You can always check with the state attorney general's office. That would be the best way to do it. A lot of times that information is available online.

I know here in Texas it's the liberals worst nightmare; cash and carry.
A CB'er and his money are soon parted.

:ncool: :ncool: :ncool: :ncool: :ncool:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic