Antenna switches used in reverse

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
PhazLockLoop
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Comtelco mag mount
Radio: Cobra 19 ULTRA III

Antenna switches used in reverse

Post by PhazLockLoop »

I need a switch that feeds 4 CB radios into one antenna at a time for reception comparison, I was looking at the Alpha Delta ASC-4B switch which feeds one radio into 4 antennas, could this application be reversed without any negative effects? Would I really would like is a dual type switch that has maybe multiple inputs & at least two outputs so I can also choose a Omni or a beam between each radio depending on the switch configurations. Thanks in advance & have a safe & happy weekend all.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Antenna switches used in reverse

Post by MDYoungblood »

Yes it will work but be warned you wouldn't want to key up a radio that is in the grounded position of the switch. To remove that possibility from happening, take the back plate off the switch and remove the grounding lug. You might want to check out the MFJ-1700C switch.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

Any switch should do. Some are the "shorting" type. They ground the antenna / radio to ground when that position is not selected.

I sometimes run multiple radios on a 4 way non-grounding switch, and 4 antennas on another 4 way switch. Been wanting to try a grounding switch. Might give more isolation.

The antenna switches are after the amp output. I suspect there is insufficient isolation in an antenna switch to run a big amp on one input and a radio on another. Might smoke the radio.
Why do that? I don't know, but I must have wanted to at one time, and realized it was a bad idea or I wouldn't have thought to mention it.

Every device you put in line has it's own input impedance and may change your SWR reading, depending where your SWR/Power meter is in the chain.
pabxone

Post by pabxone »

Give this set-up some thought if you are handy with some simple DIY work

http://www.dooleystreasureche ... /patch.htm
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

[quote="pabxone"]Give this set-up some thought if you are handy with some simple DIY work

http://www.dooleystreasureche ... /patch.htm[/quote

Interesting, kind of like an old telephone operators switch board.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

MDYoungblood wrote:Yes it will work but be warned you wouldn't want to key up a radio that is in the grounded position of the switch. To remove that possibility from happening, take the back plate off the switch and remove the grounding lug. You might want to check out the MFJ-1700C switch.

3's

Greg
I'd rather have the unused radios grounded. Seems like less RF would be coupled into the unused rigs. How about some beefy 50 ohm resistors in place of the grounding bar? Each unused rig would essentially be connected to a dummy load. If you key too long and burn the resistor you're back to the open circuit.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

If i understand the question right . I use a antenna switch for three radios to one antenna and have for a long time all with power .
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
PhazLockLoop
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Comtelco mag mount
Radio: Cobra 19 ULTRA III

Post by PhazLockLoop »

All very good suggestions gents, I don't have my tools anymore to DIY at the moment but in time I will start getting into that with antennas, since my HOA allows only one antenna that cannot extend past 10' above my house roofline & no beams at all so I am going to get one of the Big Stick style fiberglass verticals like the IMAX, A99 or equivalent & mount it on a pipe in the ground while pondering DIY'ing the venerable AS Super Scanner CB antenna if I can find some decent easy to understand plans. In the meantime I'm still looking at my radios sitting in their boxes until I can get things going at my new place, I'm live streaming channel 6 on Broadcastify & monitoring local CB on a basic RTL-SDR dongle which is really cool with that waterfall display but I need to learn more about stand alone SWR meters so I don't blow my radios up, lot's to learn but you guys are very considerate, patient & above all knowledgeable & for that I am very grateful, today was a very memorable one so everybody have a good weekend.