Receive Question

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
njoutlaw
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: COBRA 29 LX

Receive Question

Post by njoutlaw »

running my Cobra 29 LX With Wilson 5000 mag , which was tuned and swr's around 1- 1.5 I get a lot of static sound. And when receiving Transmissions guys sound low with volume turned up and RF gain turned up do I need new Receive mods?
Also a lot of times my DB's go up and radio says receiving but no one is talking?? :?: :?: Anyone know whats going on here?
my 2 pill 2879's only appear to be getting out maybe 12 miles on a good day is that about right?
Sorry for all the questions but a brother has to get dialed in, thanks
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: Receive Question

Post by 295 antenna »

question; have you tried and external speaker and is it the same ?
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Mag Mounts tend to pick up more static...Could also be your location at the time...Lot's of things can cause static to fluctuate.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Do a check of the coax, might find a pinched area.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

when I see this info I think about a guy years ago that called me about his radio being noisey and wanted to know if I could fix it or did he need a new radio. he came over to me and I went out to his pickup to see what problem he was having and it just had normal static on it a noise level of about 1 s unit. I talked to a driver on it and all seemed fine. I asked him if it was louder than this and that the noise was normal. he started telling me it was not right that there should not be a sound coming from the radio until some one talked. I explained that was what the rf gain or squelch was for to make it quiet. he started yelling at me and said he had been around radios for years and that was not normal. I thought we were going to fight before I could finally get rid of him. a shop just north of me called about an hour later and stated telling me about a guy that came in with radio noise and he said he told him it was normal and he told him he was as stupid as I was and had no business working on radios. do not know what he finally did but he went away. I even told him I could tune the noise out but he would just be doing what the rf gain would do.
for some reason this comes to mind when some one says they have noise in their radios.

not saying that this is your problem, I just had to tell the story.
EZ CHOPPER
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by EZ CHOPPER »

I don't know a lot about cb just a little I'm learning but I had a mic do about the same thing to me one time I know it sounds crazy but it was a bad mic I had or wired wrong. have you tried a different mic
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

The low receive when the volume is up is why i said what i said. Of course maybe you need to talk to someone close just to make sure you have a issue i guess.
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

same thang happens on my radio. I have checked everything but don't find nothing. I be up here in the mountains and as jessejamesdallas suggest, figure it is just where I be located at.
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
njoutlaw
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: COBRA 29 LX

Post by njoutlaw »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I understand about the squelch and all but let's see...
The static I hear with squelch knob adjusted comes through from time to time which brings my DB readings up around anywhere between 3 and 5 DB's and no one is transmitting, that I can hear anyway, just static then all of a sudden the DB's drop back to normal and the radio is quiet..
I don't know maybe it's just me.
Again thanks
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

power lines can cause this when you drive under them. a TV can cause this and lights for growing plants can cause the same thing. if the noise goes up and down it is normal depending on what you are around. use to have a old TV that when I pulled into the drive with a uniden 880 radio I would get a 10 lb noise level. it only did this on my uniden 880 radio.