galaxy 979

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: bandit
Antenna: A 99
Radio: Galaxy 99 v

galaxy 979

Post by drew434 »

i have a galaxy 979 it has blue lights it has no recevie it has good transismet and good modulation the tx rx light looks purple you can switch it from cb to pa and the light will change to solid blue switch back to cb it will change back to purple when it is on pa it will show key up from another radio on the meter in the radio
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Re: galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

I picked up a Cobra 29 NW and a Uniden PC78 LTW doing (almost) exactly the same thing. I'm not like most these guys here. I have trouble just melting solder, much less getting it to stick to anything so I took both radios to a local tech and watched him spin his magic. Within minutes he showed me what the problems was, and told me it was an easy fix but he asked "how much did you pay for these radiois?" I told him 30 bucks each off the internet. Then he showed me a whole bunch of radios he'd worked over and told me I could have any one of them, with terrific performance and a warranty for anywhere from 40 to 60 bucks while fixing either of mine would cost 40 to 50 (on top of the original 30 I'd paid for them). Now, your Galaxy is worth a whole lot more than a Cobra or Uniden so, I'd find a good tech and see what he can do. I'm sure someone here on the forum can tell you how to do it yourself too, if you're a little more capable with a soldering iron than I am.
Happy Trails
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

From the sound of it, the transmit circuit is standing on, hence the purple color. I'd have to look to see where something is crossed up, possibly the mic, it's connectors, or the mic board.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Should have asked if you would unplugged the mic to see if it receives.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

make sure Q38 is not staying on. also check q30,31,and 33 in the RX circuit and the attached diodes in the circuits. one of them may not be switching all the way on or off. also make sure D77 is not going bad or shorted by the mic plug.
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by drew434 »

i checked q30 q31 q33 with a transisstor tester and checked d77 but i did not check q38
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

look at the schematic and check each diode in the trace with each trans also. do not just check the trans. even when you pull the trans to check it power up the radio and see if the lights work right. this also helps to see what trace is turning on the lights causing it to stay keyed.
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by drew434 »

i got my radio fixed it was d77 it was d71 d70 that checked thank yo all very much
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

glad you got it fixed. D77 will do strange things when it starts going bad. it is not easy to try to help a guy fix a radio when you do not have it in front of you. you have to hope the person is actually checking components when you tell them to check a part. so many claim to have checked some thing and they do not do any thing. they just want you to tell them to change a part to fix it. does not work that way for sure.
drew434
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by drew434 »

you are right it make a noise you can trun the dimmer down and it will stop
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

drew434 your last post I did not understand what you are saying. does the radio now have another problem with the dimmer switch? is the radio now working as it should.
from the way you are wording things are you also on another forum under a different name. I feel like we have talked before on another forum just from the words you are using. no problem if you are. I use the same handle on ever forum I am on.. I am a member of about 7 different forums trying to help when I can..