CB Radio Transmissions Interferring with Neighbors Electronics

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
PhazLockLoop
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Comtelco mag mount
Radio: Cobra 19 ULTRA III

CB Radio Transmissions Interferring with Neighbors Electronics

Post by PhazLockLoop »

I've been reading threads on Radioreference, SWL & Eham about CB radios interfering with neighbors TV's, radios & even their microwave ovens. I don't know if this is a linear amp issue or just poor CB radio RF shielding or some other issue. I thought once the FCC mandated that TV's go digital & most new AM/FM stereos utilize digital circuitry that this problem would be a non issue, can somebody please explain how this is still happening yet ham radios don't seem to be an issue?
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: CB Radio Transmissions Interferring with Neighbors Electronics

Post by 443 Arizona »

in a nutshell,,,,ham radio is run by a tech. put together and tuned,
CB's are bought off the shelf by walmart'ers and SWR is off the scale, improper grounding, tuning.

now i know i am **Censored** on our wheaties here cause i am a big CB junkie, but thats the way i see it.
for those of us that can say,"BTDT", the understanding of radio is a science unto its own.
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Post by 295 antenna »

I believe any issue with tv, stereos and land line are related to a lot of power not being contained in the proper spectrum EG.(bleed over ) some people still run lots of watts and audio way too high EG (over modulation)
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Back in the day the problem with TV's was CB's gave off a second harmonics at 54mhz, (the lower TV channels), the majority of the problem was the offended neighbor's electronics, (everybody buys cheap). The use of amplifiers doesn't help the problem, increasing the signal output also increased the harmonics. Don't think that ham equipment doesn't interfere just because it is usually built better and more sophisticated, cheap electronics on your neighbor's part will still be interfered with.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
PhazLockLoop
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: Comtelco mag mount
Radio: Cobra 19 ULTRA III

Post by PhazLockLoop »

Thanks gents for your quick & informative replies. I want to upgrade to a real CB radio & not this toy I am embarrassing myself with the local crowd. I don't want to go vintage because of cap replacement & other possible golden screwdriver issues. The Galaxy DX-2517 looks promising but some say 10/11 meter exports are problematic. I lack the knowledge to sort out the wheat from the chaff about pro vs. con comments on exports & I don't want to use amps. I've read about & watched the Youtube video about the Icom IC-718 with the CB mod. I could work with that. I also like the Alinco DX-SR8T & it's SDR cousin the DX-SR9T, don't know if they could be modded though. Like the IC-718 their price points are acceptable & I like front firing speakers. I eventually would like to grab the venerable Icom IC-7300 HF SDR unit going for 1K+ because of it's bells & whistles especially it's waterfall display & is the transmit version of the soon to be released IC-8600 receiver which is believed to come off the shelf at 2K+ which confuses me if it's what some predict about a radio that has no transmit capability. Well I've yapped enough, again thanks gents & enjoy your Sunday.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

PhazLockLoop wrote: April 2nd, 2017, 12:22 pm I eventually would like to grab the venerable Icom IC-7300 HF SDR unit going for 1K+ because of it's bells & whistles especially it's waterfall display & is the transmit version of the soon to be released IC-8600 receiver which is believed to come off the shelf at 2K+ which confuses me if it's what some predict about a radio that has no transmit capability. Well I've yapped enough, again thanks gents & enjoy your Sunday.
The IC-R8600 is interesting but I would wait and save up for the IC-7610 when it comes out, it will do what the new version IC-7300 does now plus. If you want the SDR to play with on the higher bands look at a SDRPlay RSP1.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department