Connex 3300hp modulation

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Connex 3300hp modulation

Post by 567 »

I recently purchased a used Connex 3300 HP. When I key down the transmitted light turns red in the TalkBack works. No movement on the meter built into the radio. I added a SWR/POWER METER on line and still nothing.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
PS I am also running an after market noise canceling mic.

Thanks 567/Double J

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Connex 3300hp modulation

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello 567,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry it took me so long to attempt to help. Sounds like the final in gone, probably the driver too. Radios these days don't handle a high SWR as well as older ones and with shops doing "peak and tunes", they stress the radios circuitry. I doubt if the mic has anything to do with the problem.
I see your a new member, could you post an intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 , so others here can say "Hi", thanks.
3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

just saw this one myself, do as MDY said . are the finals mosfets or bypolars? check voltage on each leg in TX and RX modes. also check the large component mounted to the side of the case. it will be a 2sb817 or 754 depending on how old it is. check it in TX and RX modes also. it has 3 legs on it as the final but larger. post your findings.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

That is a good question sonoma, most I have seen had dual fet's in it, (EPT360014B), maybe 567 can give us a little more info. The extremely new radio is SMT.
With the TB working and the TX light shows function the first thing and I'm guessing like always is the driver has gone bad, possibly both finals too. Could be something simple as one of the diodes or the board got hot and lifted a trace.
It is a popular radio here, truckers like them, easy to tune, but in the wrong hands and the short antennas truckers like to use they are easy to let the smoke out too.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

he did not give much info on the radio so thought I would ask the question.
since I do not work on them much any more did not know the radio is now using smt parts. that sucks

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image