what shortwave do you have?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
mudder

what shortwave do you have?

Post by mudder »

I have a grunding yp 400 bought it at radio shack last year works real good and its small i love it.what one you have?anyone have any good frequencies to listin in on?
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Grundig FR-200 8)
scanner_500

re:what shortwave do you have?

Post by scanner_500 »

I just bought the grundig S350 from radio shack
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Hey scanner,

I looked that radio up on the web, it looks like a nice one. How has it been working for ya? I'm thinking about getting another one.

ZEUS
scanner_500

re: shortwave radio

Post by scanner_500 »

Its working just fine the only thing I dont like is I cant understand what the people are saying too bad the radio didnt come with a translator
Palsed

Post by Palsed »

To early.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

To early??? I don't get it... did i miss sumthin?
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

I use my Icom 706 MKIIG. I havent listened to shortwave recently, but it is fun! Im hopefully becoming a Sangean dealer here after a short. I really like that company.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

What does Sangean specialize in?
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

Shortwave radios..........and other type of portable radios. They are prob the next most popular from Grundig, and usually cost less.
FAT KAT
Donor
Donor

sangean 404

Post by FAT KAT »

I bought the sangean 404 and I am very pleased with it for a small radio. It has features like digital tuning that are not found on most $100 shortwave radio. One feature it does not have is an external antenna port. I'm looking to upgrade to the sangean 909. It is supposed to be one of the very best. You can also have it modified to help with the receive. This is all explained on the website radiolabs.com. Modified the 909 runs about $330.00 :)
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

i got a kenwood r-1000. its a 10 to 160 meter short wave radio. good vintage quality. i also just recently picked up a icom ic-r70. busman
DaveinKC
Donor
Donor

Post by DaveinKC »

Yep that little grundig 400 is a nice little radio. It's small enough to take about anywhere and gets good dx. I really like to tune around the medium wave band (am broadcast) at night and listen to dx stations. It does well on the shortwave and ssb ham bands and I have picked up stations all over the world.
drifter291
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: drifter291
Radio: Stryker 655

Re: what shortwave do you have?

Post by drifter291 »

I use a Radio shack DX 394. They are no longer in production but you can find them on ebay. It works so so stock but if you really want it to work great there are a few mods out there that makes it work great. One thing though before doing some of the mods is you gota be very careful because of the small surface mount components and can easily mess things up if not careful.
djrebel236

Post by djrebel236 »

Hallicrafters S-108, it would be a old tube type receiver, but works great after the tubes are warmed up....Dj
WyattEarp

Post by WyattEarp »

I have an old Heathkit SW-7800 and a Radio Shack DX-394.
hdslice
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: 083
Call Sign: KGP5724
Radio: Telstat 924

Post by hdslice »

I've just bought a Kenwood R-1000. Nice old reciever, easy to use. Lots of fun to play with.
Billy from near Philly
KB9HGI
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by KB9HGI »

I have a Radio Shack DX-394 and useing a 50ft longwire. Seems to work pretty good
timpre
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Midnight Special
Antenna: Shakespear Big Stick
Radio: Cobra 2000 - Ranger AR 3300

Post by timpre »

Let's see. I have a Drake R-8A with the optional VHF scanner built in. A Sony ICF-2010, and a Sangean ATS-818-CS. I like them all. Funny thing is I still want more.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Re: What shortwaves do I have?

Post by Foxhunter »

I never really posted on the Shortwave radio thread so here's what I feel like writing. I have a number of Shortwave radios, some newer and some older, and like to do some listening when I can. Since I was young, I've always been interested in far-away places and cultures, and started SWL as a kid and have continued on and off 'til this day. Amateur Radio is really the next step, for many who started out liking foreign broadcasting and other SWL. Not all but many.

My number one of choice currently is a nice looking Hammarlund HQ-100 that I bought a year and a half ago. Almost mint condition and works perfect. I like the look of it having that cool retro look. A fine vintage tube receiver. I saw it advertised across the river over the state line on Craigslist, as an "old cb radio" for sale. I drove well over an hour each way to go get it and to my surprise it still worked flawlessly when they powered it up and tested it at the kitchen island. They were a very nice couple had they found it in the attic of their home there (it was a really nice place too) they'd moved into a number of years before. So hearing that, it pricked my ears up and asked "well, what else did he leave?" haha and he said there was another item or two in the basement. I ended up also buying a mint Heathkit CT-1 Capaci-Tester and a box of vacuum tubes (that he wanted to give to his grandson for possible use with a guitar amplifier). I need to go back and get into that box of tubes and do an inventory to see if they are anything I can use. Getting the Hammarlund HQ-100 was what got me revived in buying antique radio equipment again, like my Mother always did I also like vintage antique things.

The Hammarlund Manufacturing Company Hammarlund HQ-100
The Hammarlund Manufacturing Company Hammarlund HQ-100

Eham Reviews Hammarlund HQ-100
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1822

Another two old SWL general coverage receivers I have (and have yet to test out) is a Hallicrafters SX-100 and a Hallicrafters S-38. The SX-100 is a big, heavy boatanchor type tube radio, VERY heavy. It looks seriously tough, but again I'm waiting to even power it up. The only apparent fault so far I think is one of the smaller knobs is missing an insert, the knob doesn't quite spin the control post/shaft beneath. Other than that it appears to be in fairly good shape, but has some surface imperfections and paint wear along the case surface. It could really use (and will get) a good cleaning and polishing. The S-38 is a much smaller lighter tube radio and looks to be in excellent cosmetic shape. I bought it from the same gentleman I bought my Kenwood TS-520SE from, I happened to spot it sitting up there on an upper garage shelf, while I was on my way out the door.

The Hallicrafters Company Hallicrafters SX-100 General Coverage Receiver (mine)

The Hallicrafters Company Hallicrafters SX-100 General Coverage Receiver (mine)

The Hallicrafters Company Hallicrafters S-38 General Coverage Receiver (online file photo)

Eham Reviews Hallicrafters SX-100
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4295

I have one old antique wooden floor console Shortwave radio that will be my new favorite, once I know that it works lol. I've been too afraid to risk plugging it in until I own a Variac, which hopefully will be soon. The manufacturer is I believe "Silvertone" and it's in very nice cosmetic condition. There isn't an actual brand name manufacturer listed on it, but the label on the actual radio tube deck suggests replacing the tubes with premium quality genuine Silvertone tubes. Now from reading around today I found a picture finally of one like it and indeed it's listed as a "Silvertone Model 1965". If anyone's read the recent "Sears Roadtalker 40---a real radio?" thread, I wrote about Silvertone being a Sears and Roebuck radio and electronics manufacturer. The Sears Silvertone Model 1965 has "Broadcast-Police-Foreign" on the round glass dial face, so I'm thinking it at least covers some of the Shortwave bands and qualifies for a definite thread mentioning. The first photo below is the file photo I found online and the next few are of my own Silvertone tube radio.

Sears and Roebuck Silvertone Model 1965 Antique Wooden Tube Radio (online file photo)

Sears and Roebuck Silvertone Model 1965 Antique Wooden Tube Radio (mine)

Sears and Roebuck Silvertone Model 1965 Antique Wooden Tube Radio (mine)

I Miss You

Foxhunter 351 NJ
Last edited by Foxhunter on November 6th, 2009, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timpre
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Midnight Special
Antenna: Shakespear Big Stick
Radio: Cobra 2000 - Ranger AR 3300

Post by timpre »

Thank you for posting the pictures. I really enjoyed them. You have quite a collection of vintage radios.

Enjoy them.

Thanks again for posting.
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

That's cool you're welcome and glad you enjoyed them.

Foxhunter 351 NJ
darkseid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by darkseid »

Radio Shack DX-394 and a foxhole radio running through a homemade 386 audio amp :mrgreen:
hobbieville

Post by hobbieville »

I have several general coverage receivers, but the one I most frequently listen to is an old radio Shack DX-302. I've never cared much for fast food, full-serve gas stations, having anyone else repair my vehicles, etc. I enjoy the 302 (and hollow state equipment in general) because it's something you can't just power it up and run with it.

Before I intend on doing any listening, I power it up and let the donald ducks and yosemite sams have at it for about an hour until it decides to pick pretty much one frequency to stick on. Then, there's the Wadley Loop tuning process to deal with....coarse selectivity adjustment with the tuning ring behind the VFO knob, and preselector and BFO adjustments. It can pretty frustrating until one gets used to it, and the internal speaker is so sucky a good external speaker's a must-have item.

Ahhhhh, but once you let the sucker warm up and stabilize, get the tuning procedure down pat, and put a good speaker on it, you have yourself about $400 worth of performance for about a third of the cost. There's a couple of guys who specialize in tweaking and modifying them to the point where they become fine receivers on their own....but you'll have as much in them then as if you purchased a Kenwood R-5000 and loaded it with filters.

KOA4705
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: 555
Radio: tram titan

Post by KOA4705 »

I use a R-390A Military receiver