Digital vs Analog/Dial

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
Hawkeye

Digital vs Analog/Dial

Post by Hawkeye »

I`m a beginer when it comes to shortwave radio listening.
I once had a Realistic DX-150. This radio has the dial to turn to tune the stations in.
I enjoyed tuning stations in with this reciever.
But I noticed station drift quite abit on the stations further away.
Do the recievers with the digital displays get station drift? Or is this something in the reciever that needs calibrated?
'Doc

Re: Digital vs Analog/Dial

Post by 'Doc »

It could be either. Depending on just how far away, and how strong a signal they are producing, propagation can really do some 'tricks' with frequency. Especially on some of the older receivers which may not have been as 'regulated' or accurate or stable as possible. The newer digital receivers tend to be more stable, but they have limits too.
With the older radios that the dial turned a variable capacitor, lots of things could affect how much that capacitor had to be 'tweaked' over time. The newer digital radios are almost all tuned in 'steps' of some size frequency 'jumps'. There's no 'variable' thingy that requires 'tweaking', it's all in the 'inputs' to a chip.
- 'Doc
Sporty Mike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: S.S. 102 / Maco V5/8
Radio: Alot of 'em!!

Post by Sporty Mike »

I love it when Doc says "thingy".....cracks me up everytime. :biggrin:

Lovin it,
mike
Redbeard 759 , your non profit Prophet from the 'Bam!!!
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

"Thingys", "doo-dads", etc, are all technical terms that deal with a large number of variables of almost every sort. If the discriminating reader pays attention to their use, that reader will understand that there are many situations where more information might mean a more specific term use. That discriminating reader should also keep in mind that their usage may only signify that the user of those terms is just too @#$ lazy to say it correctly, too much typing.
- 'Doc
(Internationally recognized master of cheap and lazy.)
909WiSCoNSiN

Post by 909WiSCoNSiN »

thingy should be added to the cbrt online dictionary