Radio Shack Pro-2096 HELP!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
Skywalker631
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Radio Shack Pro-2096 HELP!

Post by Skywalker631 »

Hello & Good Evening All,

I have a couple of Pro-2096 questions to ask. I'm not the best at explaining things but Ill do my best.

Hope there is someone on here that has experienced theses scanners and the system im talking about.

I have been trying to RX the Illinois 800MHz Project 25 APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive Starcom21 system. For some reason I can not RX it. BUT a friend of mine can bring his scanner here connect it to my antenna and RX it all day long with no problem even on his rubber duck antenna.
I don't know if its a programming error or if the RX of the scanner is deaf when it comes to distance signals. Is this possible and if so how can I test it out to know for sure? What can I do to fix it cause sending it off to be repaired is not an option for me right now. I don't even hear the Data tones form any of the control channels with my radio.

It does RX the local Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) Type II SmartZone Omnilink Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface system and also the NEW Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P-25) Project 25 APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive System that Indiana is transforming to and RXs really well But them sites are local and can RX distance Analog signals pretty good

I programmed the Illinois Starcom21 system the same way I did for the Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P-25) am I thinking wrong when I say since the SAFE-T system is RXing right that the Starcom should work on the same settings?

I've been on other forums in RR with this question and all they did was confuse the heck out of me. Talking frequency drift, out of alignment and other things.

Last but not least. Am I wrong to think since my buddy's scanner was able to RX them sites using my antenna that my scanner should also?
If you like I can show a screenshot of the WIN96 program if you like to see how I got it programmed and maybe see if I did something wrong.

THX in advance!
Donnie - KC9VFQ
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Radio Shack Pro-2096 HELP!

Post by silvereagle1 »

I've got the bcd436HP scanner. I gave up on programming it myself. I use the software now. I think it's harder for someone that's used scanners for several years to understand these things than it is for someone just starting out. we are hardheaded trying to force our old ways on a new generation scanner. it just won't work. Whole different animal. the new scanners are more like software controlled computers. in some ways once you figure out how to use the new technology it's really simple but in other ways it just makes you want to pull out your hair.

I don't think that the 2096 follows APCO 25 phase 2 I believe it only follows phase 1. that could be your problem. My grecom 500 will not follow the THP here because it's an APCO 25 phase 1 capable only scanner.
the Tennessee Highway Patrol went from dinosaur low band straight to APCO 25 phase 2 here.
Last edited by silvereagle1 on January 22nd, 2015, 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Radio Shack Pro-2096 HELP!

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Skywalker631,
Welcome to the forum. Not many members are into scanners but SE1 is giving some sound advice. You mentioned a friend brought his over and received what you wanted, was it the same type of scanner, did he modify it in any way. I cheat at scanners, I have a app on my phone that lets me listen to whatever agency is streaming their broadcasts.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department