Uniden bearcat bc350c

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor
Handle: East coast broadcaster
Radio: Cobra 2000

Uniden bearcat bc350c

Post by smoke blower »

I have a bearcat bc350c scanner and the receive is poor on it no matter what antenna I put on it. My question is there a recieve mod that can be done to it.
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Re: Uniden bearcat bc350c

Post by Scipio Kid »

There are still a number of good electronics gurus out there fixing things like this. There are two I've found who have vids on youtube who seem phenomenal. They all have ways of testing and tweaking the RX on any good radio. I found a guy in Salt Lake who's been fixing CB's for 15-20 years and can figure out your problem in 10 minutes and fix it in another 10, once he has the parts. But, he explained to me (when I took a Uniden 78 in that won't transmit) that the repairs on almost any unit cost 30-40 bucks plus parts, in my case 12 bucks. I thought that was reasonable but he said the radio really wasn't worth it, that I could buy a good working or refurbished one for the same amount or less ... I did.

So first you have to find someone who knows their way around radios, most TV and electronics guys get lost in them, and second, you have to decide if the radio is worth the repairs. There are enough good DIY vids on youtube that you might find one on your unit and save the bucks. I've done that a time or two. Did it with my truck and now it only goes backwards ... oh well.

Good luck, always hate to lose a good radio.
Happy Trails
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

There has to be some kind of way to mod the receive on this police scanner I would think
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

well if you try reading a schematic for it and search the web for mods, you might be able to clip a resistor, open its bandwidth,, hard to know until you research it.
of course you checked the coax, and grounded the ant. and mounted it high. sometimes the board will get tracers started from dust or whatever so a good blast sometimes does wonders. if it used to work fine and now doesn't, maybe a component has deteriorated. usually a cap. can be replaced.,,,speaker?,,,,
did a quick check on its reviews and seems to indicate it has good"sensitive" receive.
take the covers off, maybe something will be obvious.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

If your using one of your CB antennas it might be the problem, even though it just a receiver it may have a problem with those antennas. Try a length of coax, RG58 will do, strip the center conductor out about 2ft, leave the shield alone just make sure it's not touching the center conductor, tape it to an window and see if the reception is better. If it's still low the scanner might need a recapping, just like a CB, they dry up and hinder performance. Another thing would be a wideband preamp, you can find a schematic/plans for one online.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

No it is on a scanner antenna that goes on the outside of the shop one scanner does good but the other one which is the same scanner but the receive isn't as strong
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

i would take it apart. clean buttonboard with alcohol and compressed air, dry very well, and see if it operates better.
smoke blower
Donor
Donor

Post by smoke blower »

Already sprayed it out with contact cleaner didn't do anything there has to be a way to mod this scanner

-- Saturday, 01 October 2016, 9:02 AM --

Well I have done alot of research and I can't find any info on a recieve mod.