Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
BuckSnort
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB

Post by BuckSnort »

OK I'm running a cobra 29 class...I'M thinking about getting a
new Gen Lee with SSB 10meter radio don't know what kind yet (open for suggestions)
But i would like to know more about them...Like whats the difference
from a regular CB and 10meter? And what does the a,b,c,d,Etc knob do?
And can i still run an amp with all those extra watts in line to the ant?
Also can I buy one with out a Amateur Ham licenses from one of the dealers below?
Smooth Talker

Post by Smooth Talker »

A single sideband radio has USB and LSB.

ABCDEF Bands are different from SSB.
BuckSnort
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by BuckSnort »

Well what are they used for???
Goldhawk
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: Galaxy

Re: Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB

Post by Goldhawk »

BuckSnort wrote:OK I'm running a cobra 29 class...I'M thinking about getting a
new Gen Lee with SSB 10meter radio don't know what kind yet (open for suggestions)
Also can I buy one with out a Amateur Ham licenses from one of the dealers below?
If you really use SSB that's the only way I see it useful, I'm the type of person that when I have sideband I never use it and when I don't have sideband I want it. It depends on if you want a base or a mobile, for a base a Galaxy 2517 is a good radio that features SSB, for a mobile you got a Galaxy 99 or a RCI 2950 both are good mobile radios for sideband.
SUBWAY
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: loud & proud

regular am cb

Post by SUBWAY »

The way I understand it is that to run on side band you have to have others to talk to on side band. Or you can search for someone. Once talking to someone you can get exact frequency and adjust clarifiers/voicelock. (I believe that is how it works.) I've only ran side band a couple times. Regular am cb you can run with anyone who has a cb and talk. You have to remember not all cb's have ssb and band selectors. So the best bet is to get a radio with all the options. That way you are covered no matter what. I have a swp galaxy 93T from radioactive that is kickin, co-workers have the general lee, galaxy 48T, and various rangers. Also a lot of regular 11 meter radios with no side bands. So under normal conditions we run on am channels. But to get a little more privacy we have the ability to flip to sideband. Price range varies from about 150 for cobra 148 with ssb on 11 meter radio to 500 + for ranger, galaxy, etc. They both have their positives and negatives. running am with a buddy the other day we were still talking 29 miles apart but I got back to the terminal and had to get out of the truck. (with good antennas, coax, swrs, and radios, and probably good weather conditions.)
anyway I hoped this helped
Foxhunter
Donor
Donor
Radio: Fisher-Price

Post by Foxhunter »

The "sideband crowd" is definitely a little different than your typical 40 channel AM guys. More channels, more options. Your signal, when transmitting on CB/AM is made up of three parts: a lower sideband (LSB), a center carrier, and a upper sideband (USB)---they are all combined. When you use a 10 Meter radio with sideband, you have the option of "splitting up" that 3-part radio signal and using either the LSB or the USB. For Morse-Code you'd use the central carrier. What's the advantage? Besides more channels---you can direct or apply all of your radios transmitted energy into ONE of the bands (LSB or USB) resulting often in increased range. And yes you can use an amplifier with such a radio and often it's actually encouraged. Choose an appropriate class for your amp selection, one that is a linear amp. Not all amps, like a Class C for instance, would be good for sidebands. The Class C is very non-linear (they say they are only for FM and CW but I use one on AM and get good signal reports). So maybe stick with a "linear amp". I'm sure many owners of 10 meter radios are unlicensed---however they are supposed to have an Amateur license with High Frequency privileges. Now, for something really interesting if you ever get bored, with a little modification, get the 11 Meter sidebands and do some "freebanding". "What's freebanding?"
djrebel236

Post by djrebel236 »

new Gen Lee with SSB
First starters, the Genaral Lee is only AM/FM it has no SSB, but it has alot of power for AM and alot of channels to chose from.
But you asked: Which one is Better SSB or Regular CB?

Me Personaly am a AM fan, i only use SSB when im bored and looking for some diffrent kind of skip, its really what you want out of the radio, have fun on your search for answers and enjoy the hobby....Dj
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

General Lee

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

Sorry but General Lee is only AM/FM with no ssb capabilities.
All a General Lee is just a radio waiting to be completely modified to be a CB.
They only use AM/FM on 10 meters above 29 mhz. SSb is in the 28.3-29.2 mhz range with most activity 90% between 28.3 and 28.600
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
Jester

Post by Jester »

SSB vs AM...Thats a personal choice, but I prefer SSB anyday to AM.

Another thing: The general Lee is an AM/FM radio: it does NOT have SSB.

SSB is nice because I prefer the higher-fidelity audio and the ability to shoot skip long distances with not a whole lot of extra power or special antennas. I got hooked on SSB when I was shooting skip back in 1990, talking from IL to NJ with a Magnet mount antenna on the gutter and a stock power realistic SSB radio...

Let's put it this way: I will NOT purchase a radio that has only AM. If it doesn't have SSB, I won't even take an interest. I did own a Connex 3300 for awhile, but it left a lot to be desired, namely SSB. So overall, I would have to say that it is a personal choice. Try it out, you may like it.
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor
Radio: DX959 or General Lee

Post by TX_Dj »

Yeah, like the other guys pointed out, don't confuse "bands" with "SSB".

SSB is a mode, not a band, just like AM or FM are modes, not bands. This may be confusing because on your "regular radio" AM/FM are actually different bands as well as different modes.

AM, like another poster pointed out, is a carrier with amplitude modulation, which actually uses double the necessary bandwidth to communicate.
FM, on the other hand, is a carrier with frequency modulation, I.E. you won't see "swing" on FM because the amplitude doesn't change.
SSB, however, is a suppressed-carrier sideband modulation, which uses half the bandwidth of AM to communicate.

When someone says that AM uses the upper & lower sidebands plus a carrier, that is technically correct, even if a little misleading to some folks. I.E. if you switched to either USB or LSB modes, you can still hear (though not as clearly) people on channel TX on AM, and if you clarify down (usb) or up (lsb) you will hear a "tone" which is the AM carrier. The Frequency is shifted slightly because the way the sidebands work.

On a General Lee, you will find that 99% of the time the ABC and EF bands are dead silent, with the occasional morse code up on the F band (the bottom end of 10-meter) You can easily "get away" with using any of the D-band (on converted radios, it's the regular CB 11-meter channels) and most of the E band (the "freeband") but it'd highly advised not to transmit on the ABC or F band unless you are a licensed Ham operator, and if you are, you wouldn't be using a channelized radio like the Lee to talk on those bands.

Hope it helps!

Edit: One more thing... when skip really gets rolling, you may hear a lot of activity on those extra bands... but don't get too excited and start trying to skip along with the rest of them... they may be ham operators, and won't take too kindly to your unlicensed incursion of their bands...
PONY EXPRESS
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: GOLDEN EAGLE Mark IV

SSB

Post by PONY EXPRESS »

I will say you are better off getting a ssb radio like RCI 2950DX which is on sale now at Sparky's 229.99 over a am/fm radio like the Gen Lee. I just bought 1 from Sparky's and receive does very well and transmit is very good as well. I also like the Large LCD display which is easy to read in the mobile over LED readouts especially in the sun.
I have never used a Gen Lee but it gets very good reports so I have zero input on it.
If it don't have SSB to me its not a real radio unless its an old ham radio before SSB came out
Its not a real radio unless it has tubes and USB/LSB on the front panel ....
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor

Post by TX_Dj »

Nah, compared to a 2950DX it's not even in the same ball-park as far as functionality. Mine may be a little better on TX/RX than a stock 2950DX, but if you ever plan on stepping out of 11m, the 2950DX is a great choice. It'll do 11m all day long with full channelization on that band, and will tune to the wonky frequencies hams like to use, plus it has the jack in the back to connect a key and will do a proper CW mode in addition to all the other modes.

I'd use a 2950DX, but decided on the DX959 instead because the 959 fits in my dash quite well, has adequate functionality to meet my requirements, plus it can have its channels expanded as well (as much as 160 channels above and below, if done right) and there's a wealth of information available on the cbtricks site. Also, since my radio is dash mounted at the top of the dash and sits in the sun all day long, I didn't want an LCD for fear that the crystals would polarize in the sun and black out the display, which I've heard is at least an issue on the original amber-display 2950, but have heard it's no issue on the green-display 2950DX.
BuckSnort
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by BuckSnort »

So can you still talk on AM ch1-40 on the RCI 2950DX it looks
complicated and can you still have it tuned or is it all Digital
on the inside like the out side looks???

AND Thanks for all the feed back
TX_Dj
Donor
Donor

Post by TX_Dj »

BuckSnort wrote:So can you still talk on AM ch1-40 on the RCI 2950DX it looks
complicated and can you still have it tuned or is it all Digital
on the inside like the out side looks???

AND Thanks for all the feed back
Yes. The 2950DX can be modified to operate on 11m, and will give you either "channels" or "frequencies" in the 11m band. You can talk AM/SSB on 11m, or if you have a ham license you can also use FM or CW on the appropriate ham bands.

Yes, the radio may still need alignment and/or tuning as any radio does. :) Digital or not, it's still uses crystals and PLLs and the whole 9 yards to tune the frequencies, and if they're off kilter, the whole radio will be too.
KILLROY

Post by KILLROY »

Hey Bucksnort, If you are interested in getting a Radio with all the channels and want to have some power, take a look at the Galaxy 99vhp. I know sparkys has them I just ordered one. It all so has a built in amp with 8 Mosfets. on AM with the dead key set at 60 watts it will swing close to 250. then later if you want more power ( an who doesn't ) it will drive a 6 pill nicely.
G-Golly Wally

Post by G-Golly Wally »

I like both AM and SSB, I've talked to alot of good people on SSB. I lean toward talking skip on SSB mainly cause I'm a mud duck and there seems to be a lot less pileups, and as far as radio's I don't think you can beat the RCI 2950 IMO.

Post by 231 »

G-Golly Wally wrote:I like both AM and SSB, I've talked to alot of good people on SSB. I lean toward talking skip on SSB mainly cause I'm a mud duck and there seems to be a lot less pileups, and as far as radio's I don't think you can beat the RCI 2950 IMO.
X 2. I couldn't have worded it better myself. ;)
cybernimf
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by cybernimf »

bands are extra channels that people go to. on 11 meter, most people stay one band up the regular 40 or one band below. No, u are not supposed to talk there but everyone does and has for years. Most of us went to one of those bands because of the enormous power that is being run on the regular 40 channels and you can't talk skip without a hundred plus 10 watts....sideband is easier to talk on but it has its own "lingo". I prefer sideband myself and have many friends that i talk to from all over the place.
Earp175
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by Earp175 »

I am looking at getting a new radio. I currently am running a Midland 5001z(El Cheapo @ Wally World). I also have a 250W Texas Star linear. I am looking for something with all the bells and whistles. A gent with radioactive recommended the Superstar 158EDX or the RCI 2950DX. I want to be able to use the normal CB 40 channels and be able to get into SSB and extra channels. Will I be able to run my Texas Star or any other amp with either of these rigs? After talking with him, he started to lean towards the Superstar with a hi/low power switch.

Before I spoke with him I was looking at the Galaxy models 94HP and 98VHP. I'm willing to drop my Texas Star. I planned on keeping my Midland for my Jeep project next year and probably taking the linear with it.

Let me know what ya'll think and feel free to PM me with any advice, suggestions, or if you know of a better radio. I am used to the normal CB 40 channels and have recently got the itch to see whats up with SSB and the other extra channels. I also still want to be able to get loud while still being clear.

Thanx!
Earp
King Mudduck

Post by King Mudduck »

If you really want to talk SSB then you want a RCI 2950 DX, period! If you want more power then get a 2970 and you will tlak pretty much anywhere you want to on SSB. Unless you want to step up to something like an Icom mobile ( big money ) the RCI is the most stable ( no frequency drift ) radio you can buy with out going to a ham radio and with the 2950 DX being under $300.00 they are hard to beat. One thing about it is that you must have radio setup with the fact that you will be talking SSB in mind. You need to find a tech who has a clue and will set the driver bias up correctly ( or it will sound funky on side band ) and make sure that it is completely on frequency. No swing kits, no clipped limiters and for SSB....NO OVER MODULATION! If you set up a SSB radio to be "loud and proud " on AM 9 times out of 10 it screws up your sound quality on SSB and if you sound like some stupid CB'er with a hacked up radio no one will talk to you....been there done that moved on!

The 2950 looks complicated but really you only need to use just a very few of the buttons to operate the radio. Just read over the owners manual a time or two and you will have no problems. Now even though you now have a radio that can go from 24 MHz to 32 MHz does not mean you should talk on any channel you fell like. If the right person catches you on the wrong channel you could get a letter from uncle Charlie saying you need to pay him a $10.000 fine for operating on frequencies that you are not liscensed to.....this is no joke!

Someone said something about Galaxy and its true they can be a good SSB radio if set up correctly they do have a problem with drifting and are not very stable on frequency...that's just the way it is, sorry. Even an old Cobra 148 GTL or Uniden Grant set up correctly will smoke a Galaxy on SSB...one exception would be a 95T. I have had 3 of those and on side band those things rock!

So is SSB better than AM? I think so. Just last week at 9:20 am on Sunday ( i wrote it down on my call log ) i talked to a guy in the UK on 27.370 LSB from here in N.C. with a 25 watt cobra 2000 GTL and a 2 element beam antenna 36 feet up. His call sign was 26TMO29 and his name was David. I have also talked to Alaska, Australia and England on 38 lower SSB, i have never gotten out that far on AM!
2TN1326

Post by 2TN1326 »

I quickly scanned this thread, so pardon me if I repeatedanything someone already said...

Sidband is wonderful, you can talk farther with sideband than on AM. But you must remember some rules... Sideband should only be used on channel 35 and up. Turn off all you noise makers, roger beeps and echos. SSB users frown on it. Forget what you hear on AM with handles and codes. The be honest, talking on sideband is like talking on the phone. You may hear people use Q codes, but that is really not needed, they were intended for the Air Force. No one is flying on SSB so no need to lean them if you don't want to. If you want to start out with a good SSB radio, grab the Cobra 148 GTL. Its the great Cobra 29 with SSB added. Its a great radio for a great price if your new to SSB.

SSB talking is alot like the amateur band also. Alot of people use it to get started, learn good radio etiquette.
Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Stryker 955 HP

Post by Fogdog »

This is a very old post,but I did manage to dig it up during a search. I do not intend to hi-jack this thread, but I am totally confused about something.

Can someone please explain to me the differance between ssb and extra channels? I have a Cobra 29 Lx and I see this board for sale that does extra channels. Is that USB and LSB? Is it the same freqs that SSB uses?

I would really like to get those extra channels, so when I can't get out on the reg 40 cb channels I might be able to with these extra channels.

Thanks for the help.
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

Sideband,(USB & LSB), is a "Mode" of operation, just like AM or FM... Any of these "Modes" will operate on any channel (a channel is just an assigned frequency of the CB band). Radio operators operating different modes on the same channel will interfere with each other, making things very difficult for communication.
There has been a CB radio operator "Gentleman's Agreement" in place for decades that Sideband should be used on channels 36-40 of the assigned CB channel frequencies.
"Upper" and "Lower" channels are just portions of the 11 meter radio band that are above and below the assigned CB radio 40 channels. It is illegal to operate in these areas as they are assigned for other types of communication, but lots of radio operators do it very often, the majority of them using the Sideband mode of operation.
Fogdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: IMAX 2000
Radio: Stryker 955 HP

Post by Fogdog »

Thank you kind Sir for that explanation. I finally got it. Jeez! Sometimes you just have to beat into my skull. Once it takes I'm good. :cyclops:
hank_612
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: Gainmaster
Radio: Grant XL + M4V

Post by hank_612 »

Ssb ops have much better etiquette, dont use **Censored** noise toys, and prefer to talk to each other. Am is full of people that just want to be heard and annoy others.