Can't find anyone.

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
RC Guy
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: I Max 2000
Radio: Galaxy 959

Can't find anyone.

Post by RC Guy »

Hello,
I am new to SSB and currently running a Galaxy 959 with a TX100 amp. I have a Imax 2000 approx. 35 ft at the base. I have tried getting out to several users on LSB38 and can't get anyone to answer, I here alot of people talk coast to coast. Is there something else i need to be doing. Is there another amp I need to be using with this radio. I bought it from Sparky's who said it was tuned and alighned. Can someone give me some pointers and maybe help me get started. I really enjoy listening and would like to start talking to some...

Thanks for all your help,
313 in NC

Re: Can't find anyone.

Post by 231 »

Hi RC Guy,

I run pretty much exclusively SSB and can tell you most will come back to you. That is, unless you might be using allot of CB jargon from AM. Sidebanders usually just talk pretty regular with very little jargon. Although some will come back to you sometimes, some won't.

Also, If your radio and amp are being over driven and sounding bad (regardless of being aligned or not) it could very well be people can't understand you? Turn the mic gain down to about the half way mark (even lower if need be) until you are able to make a contact and get some feedback on your audio settings. One of the most common problems is guys will leave their AM settings on sideband thinking people are snubbing them, when in fact they cannot understand what they are saying.

Sideband is all about good audio, and really your amp isn't likely needed much of the time. So if I may suggest leave it off for a bit and try without first. Make sure your audio is turned down and be persistent! You may have been hearing some DX. Although 38 is a good frequency, don't be afraid to key up on 36, 37, and 40 LSB usually. Simply ask if anyone can hear you and for an audio check. You may be surprised.

Best of luck.
genesbro
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by genesbro »

If you are looking to make a contact just say "CQDX CQDX your call number ON THE SIDE" I have done it like that for many many years and if there is someone out there to hear you they should come back to you.
If you hear a station looking for a contact then say "the number they said THIS IS your call number trying" if you don't get a response just try it again and maybe repeat it twice next time.

After you make contact it is common practice to give them your personal (first name) and share some info on what kind of station you are running, stuff like that.

You can do dx with an omni but if you really want them to come back to you get a beam so you are putting lots more signal towards them, a good beam is better than an amp. And if you already have an amp then just think how that power will sound when it is multiplied 6 to 8 times depending on how much gain your beam might have.

I finally made my first local contact a few days ago when he heard me talking some dx and I barely heard him until I turned the antenna towards him, he was about 18 miles from me. Turns out he doesn't have a base and was just sitting out in the mobile at the time. These days there just are not as many people on the air as there used to be so it may take some time before you ever hear someone in the area you have for local coverage.
Radio, still the most fun way to communicate!
Ronin
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Ronin or 921
Antenna: Imax
Radio: Pro-810e, 139XLR 142GTL

Post by Ronin »

I am not directly familiar with the TX100 (Palomar?), but it is possible that the amp is a class C or simply not the correct biasing for SSB operation. If it is a class C, it is not that it absolutely cannot be used, but your audio will sound a little rough...maybe a bit garbled..... understandable,.. but not perfectly clear. I would follow 231's advice and cut the mic gain back and try to get someone to give you a check on the audio. Keep trying and let us know how you make out.
2FB108
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: A99
Radio: Ranger 2950

Post by 2FB108 »

If you are hearing stations try this method out to get through the pileup. Turn your squelch when no one is talking to block out the ground noise. When you hear a strong station calling wait 8 seconds before calling them back. Waiting the 8 seconds will give you a better chance of being heard because everyone else is keying up right after the station un-keys so the station will hear a ton of people calling but will have trouble picking one out just when the station is figuring out who to pick your signal will come booming in and presto you got over the pile!!! Give it a shot you will be surprised how well it works.
Quack Quack Quack How Bout Ya
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

What works good on AM usually works terrible on SSB..

Radio tuneups for transmit need to be done with SSB in mind..

Heck I was cleaning up my 'used 2000 GTL' and returning it to stock and managed to make it so terrible on SSB that nobody can understand me, power or not.. Power usually makes it worse..

Lower your mic gain, look at your wattage when you talk, you don't want to be maxing out your wattage while talking.. I would try barefoot on SSB until somebody responds..
RC Guy
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by RC Guy »

Thanks Sparky, I got the 959 from you about 2 months ago. Finally got me Imax 2000 up to about 30ft at the base. I'll try some more tonight.
Joker-Dave
Donor
Donor
Radio: 99V

Post by Joker-Dave »

I like all the suggestions so far but I'd like to add one. The time of day and channel has quite a bit to do with it. When people are dxing coast to coast on 38lsb, I can't get a word in or a callback. If I go up to 39 or even higher (42) I can talk to the west coast with no problem because there is less traffic. I would try from about 2-4p
(eastern) on 36, 37, 39 or 40lsb and see how you do. If you are close to your computer at the same time you can ask folks in the shoutbox to listen for you. I've talked to folks on the radio and the shoutbox at the same time and it's pretty fun.
As far as some local chatter, you probably won't hear much cause they are probably pointing their beams right over you trying to hit the west coast or east to Europe.
Oh yeah, let your radio warm up a bit before you try to call out. The Galaxy radios will drift off frequency when you first turn them on and people won't be able to hear you well then.
Hope some of this helps and you keep trying! :joker:
Dave, AKA Joker, AKA JeeperCreeper on http://www.itsajeep.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; AKA Scared on other forums and Xbox 360 sittin back, relaxin and listenin
sparky17
Donor
Donor

Post by sparky17 »

RC Guy wrote:Thanks Sparky, I got the 959 from you about 2 months ago. Finally got me Imax 2000 up to about 30ft at the base. I'll try some more tonight.
This is not the sparky you're looking for. lol.

I did get a 979 from THAT sparky tho.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

RC Guy wrote:Hello,
I am new to SSB and currently running a Galaxy 959 with a TX100 amp. I have a Imax 2000 approx. 35 ft at the base. I have tried getting out to several users on LSB38 and can't get anyone to answer, I here alot of people talk coast to coast. Is there something else i need to be doing. Is there another amp I need to be using with this radio. I bought it from Sparky's who said it was tuned and alighned. Can someone give me some pointers and maybe help me get started. I really enjoy listening and would like to start talking to some...

Thanks for all your help,
313 in NC
Hi RC Guy,

It depends on what your location is. Some parts of the country have no problem making contact any time day or night. If you are in the middle of nowhere there may not be anyone to talk to. I would make contact with someone on AM and see if they have sideband and go from there.

I have yet to open a DX-959 right out of the box that had sideband properly aligned. They are always off frequency. You won't notice it on AM, but SSB is critical.

This is the alignment procedure for the DX-9x9 series radios including the DX-2547.

http://thecbdoctor.net/_mgxro ... 10811.html

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
RC Guy
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by RC Guy »

Thanks CBDoctor,
Is there a freq. slide you can add to the radio instead of unlocking the clarifier? Also, I got this radio and it was tuned and aligned from Sparkys. I getting on there and listening, I just can't wait to be able to talk to someone.

RC Guy
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

As a general rule you won't find SSB traffic on channels lower than 36, and here locally its LSB. It is usually early mornings and late evenings.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

RC Guy wrote:Thanks CBDoctor,
Is there a freq. slide you can add to the radio instead of unlocking the clarifier? Also, I got this radio and it was tuned and aligned from Sparkys. I getting on there and listening, I just can't wait to be able to talk to someone.

RC Guy
The problem is the DX-959 does not track on Tx and Rx. The TX will be locked off frequency, even if you can tune them in on receive. Opening the voice-lock may help but you will still have to align it after the clarifier is unlocked anyway. One way or the other the radio will need an alignment. I have yet to come across one that didn't.

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick