SSB has struck my intrest

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Worster
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: MisterWorster
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: 2 tin cans a string

SSB has struck my intrest

Post by Worster »

Well ive been doing some nosing around and stuff and SSB has struck my intrest, so now im kinda of wishing i would of bought a different radio, but good news i still have a pick up that has an opening, was just kinda of wondering what a great AM performer is but yet still a decent entry level SSB radio would be, there are TWO that has struck my intrest give your honest opinion, the Galaxy 94HP and the Ranger RCI 69FFC2, i picked these because i will be on AM mostly and SSB just to listen for a while and feel things out is all, I think i might have the start of an addiction hahaha
My Bare feet:
Magnum S-6 Tuned by Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 4600 Turbo, Clays Radio Shop Road King 56 (Sold)
Connex 3400 HP, Sparkys CB Shack, Astatic 636L
2 Single Coil Predator 10K 12 inch shafts
"I'm Just a Matchbox Car playing in a Tonka Truck World"
maters
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Re: SSB has struck my intrest

Post by maters »

The 94 is good on SSB , as long as it has not been molested to swing every AM watt. The RCI rocks, same deal, not peak, tuned, clipped,snipped. Check out RCI 2950s and 2970s.

SSB is a bit different. Clean signals get responses, not over-modulated screamers.

When skips is rolling, give it a " CQ CQ DX ( your 3 or 4 number made up sign) " and location. Try 27.555 . It is a calling channel. Operators say there sign, location and frequency they will monitor for a response. Above cb freqs, USB is the rule as opposed to channel 38 which is LSB.

CQ CQ DX 137 Central Virginia 405 means I am 137 in central VA and will monitor 27.405 for a response. Don't be shocked to hear Europe , South America or even Australia.

Of course I never work freebands, but a 148 cobra can talk the world in the right conditions.
Big_Mic
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Big_Mic »

I do love the RCI for SSB also...
Stryker 497HPC/Texas Star Sweet 16/K-40 Coily Antenna's
Yaesu FT 101EE/Alpha (2) 4CX1000's/8 Element beam Flat Side
8 Antenna's in all covering 160-2 Meter

The Pics below give the rest of the story...

King Mudduck

Post by King Mudduck »

Big_Mic wrote:I do love the RCI for SSB also...
Off topic,sorry but Big Mac......that's not really your radio room is it? :shock:

I needed a smoke after looking at those pics!
MO 111
Sponsor
Sponsor
Antenna: !99, 3 element beam
Radio: Galaxy Saturn

Post by MO 111 »

I will say that SSB is a bit more civilized (generally) than AM. Fewer folks mucking things up. We pretty much use lower 38 as a call channel here and upper 37 for local (more or less) conversations. We are located near Springfield and Branson, MO ... pretty much out in the middle of cows, hills and oak trees. If you point your antenna this way, or simply want to holler, try 111, SW Missouri.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

It isn't a true radio unless it has sideband. :lol:
crazy_cooter
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: Penetrator 500
Radio: Browning Mark III

Post by crazy_cooter »

Keep in mind if you buy a radio with a fine and coarse clarifier knob, beware of it drifting off freq. on your transmit end a bit when you first flip over to sideband. Not saying all radios do this, but it does happen to some. The RCI as someone stated above, is a great radio for sideband for this reason. It stays where you put it, no jackin around with the clarifier constantly. If you do decide to use a radio with a fine and coarse clarifier like a Galaxy, or the like, remember that the fine tune adjusts your receive only, and the coarse adjusts your transmit AND receive both. Just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware.
"TUBES GLOW, AND TRANSISTORS BLOW!"
MO 111
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MO 111 »

crazy_cooter wrote:Keep in mind if you buy a radio with a fine and coarse clarifier knob, beware of it drifting off freq. on your transmit end a bit when you first flip over to sideband. Not saying all radios do this, but it does happen to some. The RCI as someone stated above, is a great radio for sideband for this reason. It stays where you put it, no jackin around with the clarifier constantly. If you do decide to use a radio with a fine and coarse clarifier like a Galaxy, or the like, remember that the fine tune adjusts your receive only, and the coarse adjusts your transmit AND receive both. Just thought I would let you know in case you weren't aware.

I've got to say, that my Galaxy Saturn fits that profile very nicely. However, once things get a little bit of use (5 - 10 minutes) it stabilizes nicely and doesn't wander. Of all the radios I've had over the years, I'm kinda happy with it, that's for sure.
crazy_cooter
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by crazy_cooter »

Yeah, My old Connex Saturn base did the same thing. It was a headache until everything got warmed up, or used for about 20 minutes and then it stayed stable.
MO 111
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MO 111 »

crazy_cooter wrote:Yeah, My old Connex Saturn base did the same thing. It was a headache until everything got warmed up, or used for about 20 minutes and then it stayed stable.

Makes me kinda wonder if they didn't hide some tubes in there somewhere ... :geek:
crazy_cooter
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by crazy_cooter »

HAHA, I wish they did............
Crisco
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950

Post by Crisco »

RCI 2950 just my 2 cents great radio have three and wouldnt get rid of any of them.
Thunder4299
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: wilson1000/Imax2000
Radio: RCI2970N2/RCI2995DX

Post by Thunder4299 »

RCI Ranger 2950, very good radios (AM and SSB) and later if you want to run power you can. but, barefoot they are very good. ran one for along time and never had a problem. now if you want to have some power and be able to talk AM and SSB I would go with the new 2970N2 hands down a very good radio! It has no problem talking DX on AM or SSB. Just my 2 cents anyway. good luck and most of all have fun!!! 73's

~Thunder~