New Uniden ssb or New Cobra 29lx am only?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
CptZulu158
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

New Uniden ssb or New Cobra 29lx am only?

Post by CptZulu158 »

Sorry if this isnt the right place for this. Here is my delema. I want to purchase one of the new lcd display radios that have came out recently, but I am stuck on getting the new Uniden ssb which if it ever has problems I'm not comfortable working on surface mount stuff and theres no peaking info on this rig that I can find. Or I could get the new Cobra 29lx that has the original 29 board and standard componets for easy repair if ever needed but I will be stuck with just am which i do use more than ssb. What do yall think?
Nodoz
Donor
Donor
Antenna: A99
Radio: RCI2980wx / 959

Re: New Uniden ssb or New Cobra 29lx am only?

Post by Nodoz »

Myself, I like the side band. If you decide to go ssb and have a problem you can't handle, take it to your local solder and screwdriver guy.
"I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"

"Nodoz-690 Arkansas"

"2CT690"
Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

I personally love my 980SSB (I'm assuming that is the Uniden you speak of). I really like it when I am not on the highway because it is much more fun, IMO, to tune SSB skip. On the highway I keep it on 19 AM almost exclusively. I completely understand fear of working on SMT, I'm in the same boat, but since the 980 isn't really moddable it really didn't factor in to my decision.
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck

Post by 231 »

This area is fine because you aren't sure if sideband is for you. A pretty common problem for many folks. I'd ask, how will you know if you don't try?

SSB is pretty much like talking on the phone. If being able to mod the radio is your main concern, then probably neither are a good choice. Only the SMT radios have the digital displays. So if it were me, I'd probably choose the one I'm less likely to take a hit on if I'm unhappy with it and decide to sell it. And currently that'd probably be the 980SSB. People are buying them up.

I bought a new 980SSB too to try. First new CB I've bought in probably 9 years at least. I don't usually buy allot of radios (nor sell many). But the 980 intrigued me. The receiver is good, radio stable (no drifting on SSB), good sideband (and AM) audio, and pretty intuitive on the programming. I personally think it's a good value...especially for those wanting to try SSB. There are darned few SSB radios that have what I consider a decent receiver. But the 980 seems to do very well...right out of the box.

Good luck in your decision.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello CptZulu158,
I will make this short, just get the SSB, there is a lot more fun on SSB these days, you will be happier you did.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
CptZulu158
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by CptZulu158 »

Hey thanks a million. Looks like its unanimous (prob misspelled that.) I will try to respond to all of yall at once. My biggest concern was the smt. I was thinking ahead to if it ever broke could I fix it? I can do some of the more common repairs if the componets are standard. However yall got me to thinking. I own a Icom 718 that if ever broke, Theres no way on earth I could work on it or afford to have it repaired at $65.00 an hour (Icom's current bench rate). This radio will cost no where near what that one did and as much as I hate to say in my experience with ham gear the cb will outlast the icom.The mod thing I wouldnt do to this one. I was only wanting to get 100 percent modulation out of it like my ltw.( I WILL NOT CLIP LIMITERS FOR ANY REASON.) As for the screwdriver guy, unfortuantly we dont have one anywhere around at least in driving distance. We do have some elmers around but most wont touch smt. I know I would enjoy the ssb more being cleaner conditions. The main reason I use am more at time is that I have about 5or 6 am only rigs and our locals have been on 30 scence moses was born but I guess thats why they put switches on these rigs. I appreciate the help. look like I will get one of these Uniden 890s. I know that this is for another thread but where do most of yall order from? I am a little skittish of coppers cause I ordered a defective 2517 one time and they wouldnt take it back. They wanted me to ship it off to who knows where. I just repaired it myself. 73s #158 West Arkansas Reading the mail.

Post by 231 »

We have several very good sponsors who help make CBRT a great forum! And for what it's worth, we expect our forum sponsors to take care of the members (make sure you tell them you are a CBRT member as it may qualify you for a discount!). If they don't, they aren't sponsors long...in spite of what others say. I've been here a long time and not only know this first hand, but have seen it many times since. On the flip side, we try hard to help make them be successful too. So take your pick from the sponsor tab shown in the image below;

On another note, the model is Bearcat 980SSB made by Uniden.

And don't worry about your IC-718...they are a rock solid radio. I have several Icom transceivers...the IC-756pro3 being my primary rig. I bought it new a few years back. Never had a problem with it and use it daily. My IC-7000 in the mobile though (also used daily and bought new) was the first generation of them. I had to have the finals replaced in it after 9 months. It was a known issue though, and covered under warranty so it only cost me a little freight. It's worked flawlessly in the mobile ever since. If you have problems with your IC-718 down the road, PM me and I'll give you the details on who to send it to. SMT isn't a big deal to those set up to work on them.

Anyway, the 980SSB's receiver is good. You may decide you want to throw a different mic on it down the road but it does fine with the stock mic. And the audio can be turned up. Mine did about 95% audio right out of the box. And the clarifier can only be opened up to about 2kc's either direction. That's the only bummer about it. Other than that though, a decent radio (especially for the money).

Good luck!

Radar-DLDN
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Bearcat

Post by Radar-DLDN »

231 wrote:Anyway, the 980SSB's receiver is good. You may decide you want to throw a different mic on it down the road but it does fine with the stock mic. And the audio can be turned up.
That is the only thing I didn't really care about this radio, the microphone. I put a DM-1000 Tornado on it and got the sound I want. I also like the look better than the "transformer" look of the stock.
Radar - Toledo, Ohio - Mod Duck
CptZulu158
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by CptZulu158 »

Thanks agian.

Post by 231 »

Radar-DLDN wrote:
231 wrote:Anyway, the 980SSB's receiver is good. You may decide you want to throw a different mic on it down the road but it does fine with the stock mic. And the audio can be turned up.
That is the only thing I didn't really care about this radio, the microphone. I put a DM-1000 Tornado on it and got the sound I want. I also like the look better than the "transformer" look of the stock.
Agreed...I'll probably throw one of my mobile D104's on there to see if I like it better. I have an old Turner +3 mobile mic I might try too...we'll see. But there are darn few stock mics I've liked over the years. They all feel sort of cheezy after using something better. LOL

silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

The 980SSB is very easy to tune. I researched it for about two weeks on the internet before i bought mine. I found reviews and you tube videos from various websites. I even found pictures showing the most important tune spots. The ALC the AMC and the dead key are very easy to turn up or down depending on your use. In my case I turned the dead key down to 2 watts to run a KL 200P. I did NOT turn down the ALC because everyone I ask says itonly needs a dead key turn down. I wonder about this though I probably should turn down the ALC just because it feels like the thing to do. If anyone can give some light on the subject feel free to do so. Should I turn down the ALC? If the answer is no then please explain why SSB does not need to be turned down. Thanks all, Mark