Hope to get some contacts this weekend.

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
poboy309
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: Grant lt

Hope to get some contacts this weekend.

Post by poboy309 »

I just ordered one of those cheap 30a power supplies for $30 shipped and going to test it out to get my "base" setup going. It's a grant LT and a 2 pill 250 hdv on a home made dipole off the top of my garage.
My question is should I just take the battery out of my road devil for best audio on ssb? I don't want to sound garbled and it would be great to talk to someone out there. I want to sound clean especially with a little extra power. I know the grant won't overdrive the amp so I'm golden there.
Uniden Grant LT barefoot mobile with a 102" whip.
President Lincoln "base" in the garage with a home made horizontal dipole.
36 - 40 lsb
RC 309 in hellinois.
Deleted User 14541

Re: Hope to get some contacts this weekend.

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I've never used a road devil but the power mics I have used will not work at all with no battery. Just be conservative with the power adjustment. Don't use more than you need to get good modulation. As long as the radio hasn't been modified in a bad way it should sound good on ssb.
poboy309
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 102" whip
Radio: Grant lt

Post by poboy309 »

Thanks for the advice! I'm anxiously awaiting my power supply which should be here tomorrow. I also have to mount my pvc tube to raise my dipole above the garage.
Uniden Grant LT barefoot mobile with a 102" whip.
President Lincoln "base" in the garage with a home made horizontal dipole.
36 - 40 lsb
RC 309 in hellinois.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Road Devil has to have the battery in place to work...Just turn down the Mic Gain on the radio, or adjust the gain on the Mic...

Lot's of DX all day long the past few days...Been talking to the Upper East Coast in the mornings till late afternoon, then the West Coast late afternoons till dark all week.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.