New to ssb.

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
605texas
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: hustler &imax
Radio: galaxydx98 &dx55

New to ssb.

Post by 605texas »

Ok....I need a little help understanding ssb....I have flipped over on lsb a time or two but never heard anyone...maybe I didn't have conditions or was on wrong channel....thought maybe it was unused in Texas or maybe my mobile(dx98 galaxy) couldn't receive it....someone give me an idea of the channels to try please.
thanks
605texas!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: New to ssb.

Post by silvereagle1 »

put it on 38 lower side and listen for a little while. Call out and see if there might be some locals listening. When you start hearing a lot of DX you'll be able to hear a ton of stations on sideband. 36-40 with 38 having the most traffic usually. I love the SSB portion of the radio that's about all I do myself.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
605texas
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 605texas »

Thanks silvereagle1!
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

you'll have to use the clarifier to tune them in though. two different stations in the background might not tune in the same. but you can normally keep your clarifier at 12 o'clock with good results. sometimes there are stations you can't tune in at all and some you have to tune them in maxed out to the right or left but for the most part you should be alright at 12 o'clock with most stations. if you live in cold tempatures it might drift just a tad in the winter time. my galaxy did but it wasn't bad.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
605texas
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 605texas »

My galaxy only drifts 1pt. Unless its below 20f normally (on am)...I will keep an eye on it. Next question is....will my rx/tx be better on ssb in my mobile? Also my radio on ch38lsb keys 0 & swings to max(250w) when I call out on it....is that normal?
Thanks
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

605texas wrote:My galaxy only drifts 1pt. Unless its below 20f normally (on am)...I will keep an eye on it. Next question is....will my rx/tx be better on ssb in my mobile? Also my radio on ch38lsb keys 0 & swings to max(250w) when I call out on it....is that normal?
Thanks
There is no carrier (dead key) on SSB, it's all swing. Depending on if that radio has a 5 or 6 digit frequency counter 1 point might be a lot. Just being a tiny bit off frequency will make communication difficult. Your range will increase on ssb since it is a more efficient mode. I don't consider ssb communication better but some really like it.