Tried on 38L yesterday

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
projectcop
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Predator 10K
Radio: Cobra 148F

Tried on 38L yesterday

Post by projectcop »

Hi all;
I drove up to the hill near me yesterday. It's just a little over 2200' up there, with nothing else around. I made a good contact on 17 AM first; from here to placerville. Then I switched over to the lower side of 38 and tried several times there. I was listening to a guy in georgia talking to a mobile unit in san francisco. Georgia was just booming in on me and I could just barely hear the guy in SF.
It seemed like nobody could hear me. I could even hear a unit or two in sacramento, about 50 miles up the road from me. I couldn't get a comeback at all.
So, if any of ya were on the lower side of 38 yesterday about 10:30-11:00 pacific time and heard "cq,cq,cq dx! cq dx,..360 northern California mobile trying"; that was me...... :cry:
Oh well; better luck next time...............
73's ya'll...............

Ps: even heard a couple guys sounding way, far off....speaking french! The skip was rollin'.....................
"Sorry Ma'm; a slight negligence in his up-bringing"
John Wayne
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Tried on 38L yesterday

Post by MDYoungblood »

They probably didn't hear you, there is a lot of country between you and GA with a lot of stations shouting out just like you. In cases like that I jump up or down a channel, even if it sounds empty I usually get a contact. When channel 38LSB is crowded I go up to 39LSB.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Tried on 38L yesterday

Post by silvereagle1 »

I heard California very little yesterday but I heard Texas like they were local. Talked to a couple of stations out of Austin on 36 then moved to 35. Northern California is usually a hot spot for me certain times of the year. There's one station I used to talk to pretty regular on lower side of 38. 361 Patrick in northern cal. If you are in Northern California then eventually we'll make contact when conditions change back that way. I'm Getting upstate New York and Boston Mass Michigan down to lousiana and Florida right now 90 percent of the time with an occasional California Texas and West Coast thrown in the mix. But that will change once again and I'll be getting all UK and west coast almost 100 percent of the time for several months out of the year. When that happens I'll be able to hit northern cal fairly easy. I'll keep an ear open.
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee