Any thoughts?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio5000/Nagoya77B
Radio: 980SSB/YaesuFT3200DR

Any thoughts?

Post by DevilDog66 »

Okay......now that I've read alot of the post here on this subject, I'm convinced more than ever to buy a radio with SSB capability. As a starter radio I'm looking at the Uniden 980 SSB or possibly buying a Galaxy 979. Whichever I decide, it will more than likely be going into my car. Any thoughts on the Galaxy? I really don't know much about it and does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of antenna to run with an SSB?
1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Any thoughts?

Post by 1206FL »

Get the uniden 980. No drift and they are best bang for the buck for a cb/SSB radio. And for an antenna I recommend the sirio 5000 with a good hard mount. Breedlove makes quality mounts or you can go with the sirio mount. There is the magnet mount that can be used but a hard mount which will require a hole to drilled. This is the best way to mount an antenna if possible. If not look at the sirio 5000 and the sirio PL145 mag mount. And like I said for a good hard mount Breedlove makes a good mount. Check their 2 or 3" single hole mount with the correct connection for the antenna being used. Most likely the so239 type mount. Anyway just some food for thought. Hope this may help and have a good day.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

I think the Sirio is the antenna I would look at unless you have the spot for a 102" whip. The best bang for the buck is the Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB but I like the Galaxy DX 979, it does have the same drifting problem as the 959/949 but isn't as bad and the modulation will out talk the 980 on AM and SSB using the stock microphone.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

For ssb work the 980. For loud AM audio that most guys like the galaxy is a winner. The 980 sounds good on AM. It is crystal clear and clean, but is isn't screaming loud like a galaxy can be.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

Thanks for the input fellas! :P I greatly appreciate everyone's opinion on this, so far, it seems like the 980 is the winner. I agree that it is a lot of bang for the buck, the auction sites seem to have them below $120 and if I time it right, I might be able to pick one up for a 100. I just got to remind myself to be patient and wait for the right price. However, I feel like a kid in a candy store when I look at all those pretty radios! :drunken:
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Post by dirtyjob »

dont skimp when it comes to antennas, in the end its the best part of any system
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204

Post by 231 »

On SSB it's all about good audio, not nasty loudness like AM is. Audio quality is everything and you will find many more people coming back to you when the audio is more pleasant. That's why allot of serious sidebanders opt for a ham rig. With the proper mic they are nothing short of broadcast quality.

So which ever radio you decide get audio reports from folks and don't start with all knobs to the right. I have the 980SSB in the shack and it does well. As mentioned, the Galaxy will likely need aligning right out of the box...not the Uniden. I also still use my 1980's/1990's vintage Uniden Grant & Cobra 148GTL which is still a hard value to beat. Great on both AM & SSB...especially with a decent mic like the mobile D104.

Antenna system rules apply to all modes, not just SSB. So really bigger is better. Personally I'd be in favor of the 102" whip if you can do it...but any of the decent loaded antennas will work too. I prefer running my Everhardt SOTT-5' over my 102" whip...but to each their own. If the Sirio is the choice, that's cool...just make sure you get the antenna located in a good place on the vehicle.

1206FL
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by 1206FL »

The 980 is a clean and clear sounding radio on both am and SSB. Just not a punchy audio like you may hear from an HF radio with some compression and eq. But for the money its hands down a winner, uniden did a good job on the radio for the price. As far as antennas go I like a tall antenna like a 102" whip and riser as well 231, but for what they are the sirio 5000 is darn close second to the 102" setup I'll say that much. They work well and are way better than the new wilson 5000's. My only gripe with them is they now use a smaller diameter whip. It used to be 4mm and now it's 3.5mm. Doesn't seem like much but It was and made a difference in how thin the top of the whip is. I just cut the top of the whip now instead of the bottom. Works the same. At any rate like posted by dirtyjob, don't skimp on your antenna setup!! Get the best you can, and install it correctly!
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

102" whips are great but few people actually have enough sheet metal under them to make them really talk. If you have to mount it on the bumper or bed rail it will work as well as most antennas. Put the roof of a suburban under it and look out. Most of the current on a 1/4 wave antenna is towards the base of it.
DevilDog66
Donor
Donor

Post by DevilDog66 »

543FtWorth wrote:102" whips are great but few people actually have enough sheet metal under them to make them really talk. If you have to mount it on the bumper or bed rail it will work as well as most antennas. Put the roof of a suburban under it and look out. Most of the current on a 1/4 wave antenna is towards the base of it.

I had no idea about the 102 inch whip needing that much metal for a good ground. I thought you just needed the height and ground it to some kind of metal such as the roof or trunk either in a trunk mount or magnet. I'm still pretty much a newb when it comes to dxing on a cb. :icon_e_geek:
Semper Fi! HML-767 NOMADS 1985-1990/Mobile: Uniden 980 SSB/Sirio Performer 5000/Hand Held Uniden HH401/K40 mag mount/Radio Shack TRC-482/Cobra HG Power mic/SRA-198 mic
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

its ALL about the antenna, so use a metal whip,properly mounted. :cat:
bbqradio
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: TS-2500s
Radio: Glxy 959, Bct 980

Post by bbqradio »

Bearcat 980SSB is a great radio. I prefer it to my Galaxy 959. The only let-down is the lack of a RB on the Bearcat.

Apart from that, it's a good radio, people hear you well, and the internal speaker is surprisingly clear compared to Cobras and Galaxys. It's no power monster nor a modder's delight, but it's a great value, it has a small footprint, and it also looks good.

My 2¢