Best omni directional base antenna

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
772 alberta
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Homebrew 1/2wave
Radio: Rci 2990 on 10-11mtr

Best omni directional base antenna

Post by 772 alberta »

Hey guys just wondering what you think the best omni directional antenna is for a base set up. I am sure there is lots of opinions out there. If you just picked one up why did you pick that one? I am sure everyone has their ideas on the best one but like to hear what you have to say. Let's try to stay away from the Antron 99 and the big sticks. I am sure this is going towards the 5/8s /.64 waves antennas. But anyhow if money was no object and say your doing it all over again what would you go with? Don't forget about the ground plane options on the antenna.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Best omni directional base antenna

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay, just talking omni's here, no beam antennas, it would be the "Interceptor 10K Antenna", not to be confused with the "Predator". I like the design onf the matcher and have a local with one, he can hear stations in the distance that are in the noise at my house. There is also an interesting antenna I saw called a "J-Pole HPSD style", someone had posted this on the forum.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

The sigma 4 or vector 4000 is the best performing vertical IMO. A few locals use them and they are impressive. They are long and seem to be a little more susceptible to wind and ice damage. I'd really like to built a heavy duty version some day.

The I10k is a good ground plane. I use a BM tech shockwave that is very similar. The penetrator 500 and 5/8 maco antennas are comparable in the performance department but are not as well built. I would buy the BMT shockwave again. There is another shockwave antenna on the market but I don't know much about it. I wouldn't expect it to perform better worse than another 5/8 wave ground plane.

The fiberglass antennas that you can buy ground plane kits for have their place. They are widebanded and easy to install. They fall short in the performance department.
tba02
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by tba02 »

How much power do you plan on running?

Myself, i chose a gainmaster as i don't have room for radials. It was a big improvement over my a99 and m400 and i don't run massive amounts of power.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

I have a Mr.Coily Excalibur .64 antenna, and the thing is built like a tank... a bit pricey compared to the other omni's on the market, but once you see how it's built and the work gone into it, you can see why they are priced like they are.

Sad part is...I'm not real sure Mr.Coily is still building or not. Last time I tried to get on his site, it wasn't there...Could just be down at the time i tried tho. And since it's "TAX TIME" it could just be Coily has more orders than he can handle right now and has turned off the site till he gets caught up...(don't know)
You can still find him on facebook.

But the antenna's are built to order. (meaning Coily most of the time doesn't have a bunch already built just waiting on buyers) and come pre-tuned...All you have to do is put it together, and slide the aluminum rods to their pre-marked settings and tighten down the clamps and you will have a 1.1 SWR without the guess work...least in my case it worked out that easy.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

I think he was developing an even bigger coiled antenna and managed to get tangled up in it. :lol:
dgbacb4148
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: shakespere Big Stick
Radio: Uniden Washington

Post by dgbacb4148 »

772 alberta wrote:Hey guys just wondering what you think the best omni directional antenna is for a base set up. I am sure there is lots of opinions out there. If you just picked one up why did you pick that one? I am sure everyone has their ideas on the best one but like to hear what you have to say. Let's try to stay away from the Antron 99 and the big sticks. I am sure this is going towards the 5/8s /.64 waves antennas. But anyhow if money was no object and say your doing it all over again what would you go with? Don't forget about the ground plane options on the antenna.
:bounce: This thread is full of good suggestions. I would put my 2 cents in but.......In my signature tells what antenna I'm using and it over 25 yrs old, and you'd rather I didn't mention it, so I will respect that. As a matter of fact, my 1st one was in 1970, and in my opinion they can't be beat. How do I feel about talking to "Watchmaker" in downtown London England on my 1st one, now you know why I like the beast, they work. JMHO, thank's.
David g. :cheers:

AKA Southwind,Tripple Nickel, DX 555. Base station Uniden Washington Philippines made/ D-104 Tug 9/ Silver Streak 150/ Pyramid Gold Series Variable 26 amp through "Old Reliable Shakespeare Big Stick"... Mobile- Cobra 25, NMO Firestik. USAF 1959-1963/ Andrews AFB, 1001st Transportation Squadron, Maryland, home of AIR FORCE ONE. John F. Kennedy Presidential Innaguration parade 1961.
PA629

Post by PA629 »

543FtWorth wrote:The sigma 4 or vector 4000 is the best performing vertical IMO. A few locals use them and they are impressive. They are long and seem to be a little more susceptible to wind and ice damage. I'd really like to built a heavy duty version some day.

The I10k is a good ground plane. I use a BM tech shockwave that is very similar. The penetrator 500 and 5/8 maco antennas are comparable in the performance department but are not as well built. I would buy the BMT shockwave again. There is another shockwave antenna on the market but I don't know much about it. I wouldn't expect it to perform better worse than another 5/8 wave ground plane.

The fiberglass antennas that you can buy ground plane kits for have their place. They are widebanded and easy to install. They fall short in the performance department.

I tend to agree.

If room is a concern, I'd go with the Gainmaster. If high winds or icing are problems, I'd look at the Shockwave. Otherwise, for pure performance, I'd pick the Sigma 4/Vector.
2WR79
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by 2WR79 »

I realize this is a very late reply, but I have to mention what may ruffle feathers... the Imax 2000, now called the Max 2000.

I 'm never going to claim that this is the best omni-directional antenna on the market, I will claim for many that it is the best choice. Here's why...

1. The Imax is extremely broad-banded. If you have or plan to expand your horizons, it will work 10-12 meters without a tuner. Will work 15M and 17 M with a tuner relatively well, and will tune to 20M and 6M and work there too (albeit not very efficient).

2. Power handling (5KW is more than any of us will run)

3. Ease of install and versatility of install. If you have a big tree, you have a big tower. Mine is in a big oak tree. 79' to the tip. IT has the GP radials on it, but I don't need them (although they did quiet my receive). It's 3 sections that screw together, and tuning rings that can be put in the middle and you'll have low SWR on all 11M. Tower, pole, tree.... ez install, ez tuning. Height is might, and if you are gonna go high, this is an ez antenna to do that with. An Imax at 79' beats any antenna at 36'.

4. It's legal. Yeah, most couldn't give a darn but it is actually a legal antenna and is electrically insulated if it comes into power. Aluminum GP antennas are not legal CB antennas.

5. Performance. Many will claim this or that antenna gets out best or has X amount of gain, but the really long ground plane contacts I make are guys with vertically polarized beams and Imax 2000's. One exception, a nod to ol WR194 in Md on his Intercepter I10K. Last I heard, Jay in the Mohave isn't making them anymore though. bottom line is if I can hear em, I can work em.

6. It's cheap, and so are the mounting options.

So there ya go. Maybe it's not the best at any one thing, it does them all pretty damn well. Mine is almost 20 years old, and still kickin butt.

2WR79/TWISTEDCOPPER
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

5/8 wave, aluminum, w/ GP.
i haven't found anything better in the category.
The DB
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: The DB
Antenna: ¼λ Mobile Antenna.
Radio: Galaxy DX 55HP

Post by The DB »

If you are looking for performance, go with more height. A lesser antenna will outperform a better antenna if it is mounted higher.

When it comes to antenna vs antenna, if they are at the same tip height, they will work about the same. If they don't then their is something wrong with one of your antennas.

The DB