Leaving radio in the vehicle when very Cold

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
mm3148
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Leaving radio in the vehicle when very Cold

Post by mm3148 »

Just a curiosity question,
I did a search on "cold weather" to see if there was a cut off temp that you guys might bring your radios inside. Found a lot of info on how radios don't like to work so well in the cold but I would like to know if its safe just to leave it in the car during very cold temps or should i bring it in when it gets in like the single digits.

Thanks in Advance

Jon
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Leaving radio in the vehicle when very Cold

Post by MDYoungblood »

There are working temperatures in the radio specs, here is an example; "Frequency stability-----Within ±0.5 ppm (+0°C to +50°C; +32°F to +122°F)". I believe heat is more of a problem.
I live in Maryland, the weather does get cold but not like farther north, I leave my radios in the vehicles unless I want to work on them. I do however let them come up to a bearable temperature before turning them on in the extremely cold days, now a days I click the fob and start the vehicle before I even head out the door.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

well, all I know is that here in Asheville, NC, it gets right nippy at times during the winter and I leave my radio in the vehicle and have had no problems. I just go by the working temp. specs. of the radio.
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

mm3148 wrote:Just a curiosity question,
I did a search on "cold weather" to see if there was a cut off temp that you guys might bring your radios inside. Found a lot of info on how radios don't like to work so well in the cold but I would like to know if its safe just to leave it in the car during very cold temps or should i bring it in when it gets in like the single digits.

Thanks in Advance

Jon
Do you take the car stereo out and bring it inside when it gets cold????
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PA629

Post by PA629 »

jessejamesdallas wrote:
mm3148 wrote:Just a curiosity question,

Thanks in Advance

Jon
Do you take the car stereo out and bring it inside when it gets cold????

Good point. :lol:
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

i have put them thru extremes and the only problem in the cold was a frozen mic cord and frost forming on the mic from my breath. as for heat, never had any problems.
Scholar
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: RCI-2995

Post by Scholar »

My radio stays in the truck even when it gets below zero F. Been down to -19 F at night last winter. :pale: I too use the fob to start my truck before going out to get in. I just let the truck warm up a bit before using my radio. Other than a little off freq have had no issues.
Scholar (John)
KEB7787

"7787" ---- 38 lsb

Base
RCI 2995DXCF ---- MFJ-299Mic ---- Sirio Tornado 5/8 Wave Antenna
Galaxy DX2547

Mobile
RCI-2950DX ---- Wilson 1000 Antenna
mm3148
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by mm3148 »

Thank you all for the replies,

I just want to make sure I am not shortening the life of this radio (I paid enough for it). Its in the car for now until I can save enough for a good power supply, 100ft Coax (not Cheap), and Antenna for the house.

Thanks Again!

Jon
nk14zp
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: shorty
Radio: saturn turbo

Post by nk14zp »

I think the risk of damaging the radio by moving it in and out is higher than damage from the cold. My radios have never seen it colder than -47.
Scipio Kid
Donor
Donor
Handle: The Scipio Kid
Antenna: An old coat hanger, painted red
Radio: Texas Ranger / Cobra LX / Galaxy 979

Post by Scipio Kid »

I hope no one's radios ever see it that cold!!! Sheeesh, can you imagine trying to talk skip in that temperature? Your lips wouldn't be able to form words, your mic wouldn't be able to vibrate to produce sound and your power amp would ... well hey, there's a good thing, you wouldn't need heat sinks at all!

Sheeesh, where do you live? I don't think it gets that cold up where Mtn Lynks is in Alaska.
Happy Trails
army1975
Donor
Donor
Handle: Proud American
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy DX-979

Post by army1975 »

Scholar wrote: December 13th, 2016, 9:27 am My radio stays in the truck even when it gets below zero F. Been down to -19 F at night last winter. :pale: I too use the fob to start my truck before going out to get in. I just let the truck warm up a bit before using my radio. Other than a little off freq have had no issues.
what I do with my mobile, let the inside of the vehicle get warm afore I turn the radio on. ain't nary had no problem a tall with doing it dat a way. :cheers: well, ain't that special, can edit posts now :cheers:
CB Handle: PROUD AMERICAN

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001.......Our Loss Will Not Be FORGOTTEN

Veteran: Field Artillery. M40, 155 MM self-propelled howitzer. Bamberg, West Germany, 1975 - 1977.....HOOAH!!
barney33
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by barney33 »

When I lived in Fairhaven, NY I would only take the mic indoors when the temperature drops to 10 deg or less. The cord would get hard to stretch so that solved the problem.
Unfortunately in Florida the crime rate is rising so fast, I have been pullingl the radio and antenna off every night since I got it working 10-8. :shock:
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Cold weather affected my Galaxy 99v2 to the point I brought it in and left it in. Bought another brand radio and no problems with weather whatsoever now.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: I Max 2000
Radio: Ranger base 2995

Post by Trapper444 »

A bump because it's a relative question as we head into winter.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
jon6667
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Antenna: dipole
Radio: icom 7300

Post by jon6667 »

i used to leave mine in the truck. until it got stolon.now
i bring it in at night. quick disconnects.
Trapper444
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Antenna: I Max 2000
Radio: Ranger base 2995

Post by Trapper444 »

I remember I had a quick disconnect back in the day. It was pretty cool, whole radio just slid out.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JOHN 14:6
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

jon6667 wrote: November 13th, 2017, 11:24 am i used to leave mine in the truck. until it got stolon.now
We used those quick disconnect's back in the day, so the thieves wouldn't be tearing up the dash stealing the radio... :mrgreen:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PA629

Post by PA629 »

jessejamesdallas wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:31 am
jon6667 wrote: November 13th, 2017, 11:24 am i used to leave mine in the truck. until it got stolon.now
We used those quick disconnect's back in the day, so the thieves wouldn't be tearing up the dash stealing the radio... :mrgreen:

What JJD really means to say is that back in his day, they used those QD's on their 8-track players so people wouldn't steal them. :icon_e_wink: :lol:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

PA629 wrote: November 15th, 2017, 10:05 am
jessejamesdallas wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:31 am

What JJD really means to say is that back in his day, they used those QD's on their 8-track players so people wouldn't steal them. :icon_e_wink: :lol:
That too...Back then it was hard to keep a CB and a 8-track in your car for more than a couple of months before someone would help themselves to it...And forget about keeping a antenna for more than a few weeks. :roll:
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Gotta love those 8 tracks. One song fade out on track 1 and fade back in on track 2

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

silvereagle1 wrote: November 21st, 2017, 4:44 pm Gotta love those 8 tracks. One song fade out on track 1 and fade back in on track 2

8-tracks were also the worlds-worse for hanging up in the deck...seemed like every time I had a favorite 8-track, the radio ended up eating my tape!
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Getting a little off topic here so how about starting another topic about "8-tracks", I would chime in with a story or two also.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

no lets just mash up this thread, my older radios that had any tuner grease on the pots would get really stiff, but still worked, cords and mics were troublesome,, was a challenge while wearing gloves, scarves. the 8-tracks were worse, had to keep tapes warm and hope the tape didnt freeze to the head. :icon_e_sad:
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

443 Arizona wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 8:54 am no lets just mash up this thread, my older radios that had any tuner grease on the pots would get really stiff, but still worked, cords and mics were troublesome,, was a challenge while wearing gloves, scarves. the 8-tracks were worse, had to keep tapes warm and hope the tape didnt freeze to the head. :icon_e_sad:
While were at it "mashing up the thread"...How about them vinyl seats that use to be popular in the 70's? You stuck to them in the summer, and in the winter they were cold as ice, and eventually would end up cracking all over the place! :mrgreen:
Double J
Donor
Donor
Handle: 308
Radio: Ranger 69 FFC4

Post by Double J »

Meanwhile down in Fl you can fry eggs on your dashboard in the summer; yep took the radio off the dash and put it in the console of the truck... my radios were pretty good in the cold when I lived up there.
P = E x I