148 gtl clarifier Unlock or leave alone?

Come in and ask any question, or just come in and say hello.

Moderator: JR Moderator

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: too many to list
Antenna: maco base/ whip mobi
Name: karl hammons sr

148 gtl clarifier Unlock or leave alone?

Post by halfwatt959 » Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 17:55 PM

Hi folks. I was just wondering what your oppinions were on unlocking clarifiers. My 148 is a ranger made malaysa model. I'm trying to decide if its worth the trouble to unlock the clarifier. If I do I was thinking about changing the single pot voice lock for a dual pot so I could have coarse and fine tune. I have the parts and mod on hand just wanted opinions on how yall would do it if at all. The radio performs extremely well as it is. Tx is dead on frq. and the current clarifier slides down 5-6 and up about the same on rx. I don't the control so touchy that looking at it funny makes it move off frq. I would like to slide down 10-15kc and up maybe 5. I did one once and had entirely too much slide. I was constantly playing tag and having to adjust it to often. Any ideas sugestions and personal experience appreciated. 73
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

Tweetybird
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: 2517 /2995
Antenna: Max 2000
Name: Gary

Re: 148 gtl clarifier Unlock or leave alone?

Post by Tweetybird » Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 18:10 PM

The 148GTL was made by Dynascan not Ranger. Just use a resister on the ground side of the Clarifier to mild it down a bit

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by halfwatt959 » Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 18:25 PM

Didn't know dynascan used EPT0114011z boards. I've only seen them in the ranger radios. Most of them I knew were dynascan but they were made in the philipeenes, tiawan and hong kong. Mine was made in Malaysia. Would it be worth the dual pot mod? Thanks
2 and 3/4 DX RADIO CHAOS. Halfwatt959 " I MAY NOT CAN FIX IT BUT I CAN TAKE IT APART"
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

295 antenna
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Radio: optima ,cobra 148ex
Antenna: patriot,brownig
Name: Charles Reney
Cell Phone: 760-672-1257

Post by 295 antenna » Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 19:28 PM

I have the clarifiers unlocked on most all my radios just because i want my transmit to be the same as my receive.
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle member : AE1577
TWRC Member : WR2950

redlght
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: a few diifferent
Antenna: astroplane

Post by redlght » Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 22:22 PM

If you want that much slide do the 10Khz jump mod. If you unlock the clarafier don't short the resistor they tell you to or it will get temp drifty. If it is the newer 148 usb will not center up. There is a thread some where where I and (Rick) the Cb doctor talked about that. BTW where is Rick>? Doing ok i hope.

sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma » Thursday, 01 February 2018, 3:17 AM

I will post a couple of ways to mod for 10kc up and down and then the clarifier mods. just put in a jump up or down has always worked better for me.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblinco ... 8_Lkit.gif

here is the mod for 10kc jump.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/rick_eu ... c_jump.pdf

here is the clarifier mod.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblinco ... racker.gif

if you want the clarifier to go 10kc up or down will make the radio drift a lot and hard to control. these items I posted have been proven over the years to work fairly well.here is a way to do the channel expansion if you do not have a L kit.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblinco ... ersion.gif

another way for the channel mod.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblinco ... rsion2.gif

MDYoungblood
Logged in via: iPad
Radio: Uniden Washington
Antenna: Avanti Sigma II
Name: Greg

Post by MDYoungblood » Thursday, 01 February 2018, 5:55 AM

I like the clarifier unlocked as long as you get the transmit to track with the receive, when you do the mod don't try to get over 5kc of slide or it will make the clarifier very touchy. The 10kc mod is what I would do to get the skipped channels/frequencies if you think it is worth it. I don't care much for the dual pot mod on a mobile especially if your driving down the road.

3's

Greg
"321, the Middle of Maryland"

23 AM "WORLD WIDE" 38 LSB

Strong Supporter of America's Original Homeland Security Act
The Second Amendment

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by halfwatt959 » Thursday, 01 February 2018, 7:29 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I haven't made up my mind yet. but I probably will do the dual pot if any. Since it will be on base for most of its service may as well do channels too. The last on I modded had upper/lowers variable DK variable talkback echo 10 k anything I could think of and even tho it worked liked a champ I ruined the looks of a mint condition radio. This one looks just as good but I don't want knobs and switches everywhere. to ruin that. NOTE to self Don't sell this one don't sell this one. everytime I fix one up someone talks me out of it. Anyway thanks will post update this evening peace out73
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

redlght
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: a few diifferent
Antenna: astroplane

Post by redlght » Friday, 02 February 2018, 15:08 PM

if you do the dual control and short R174 it defeats the purpose of the fine tune, even the slightest touch slides it to far off.
I never short R174 it kills the circuit at full CCW R174 is there is keep D51 from being at 100% positive or ground potential. JMO

halfwatt959
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by halfwatt959 » Sunday, 04 February 2018, 8:06 AM

Thanks for the tip. Assembled all the parts just still trying to decide on putting them in. I need another one so I can have one both ways. That's the problem with me always need "just" one more radio .....LOL
I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!

Pioneer621
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: Megaphone
Referrals: 2

Post by Pioneer621 » Sunday, 04 February 2018, 12:40 PM

I vote for Leave it alone. I hate chasing guys I'm chatting with, because they keep fiddling with their clarifier! Stop touching it because you keep sliding out of my RX!!!!!!!!

I've had tons of radios locked, and tons of radios unlocked, and have done a good bit of radio repair / mods over the years, I prefer them "locked".
Another thread on it below.

Remember, if you unlock it, every time you adjust your clarifier, you are sliding your transmit too, so if someone has you tuned in perfectly, you will be off again as soon as you touch it. Once you and the other station are tuned to each other, leave it alone.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46703&p=369519#p369519

bluemeanie
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Name: Mark Schwab
Home Phone: 9706253581
Cell Phone: 9709489991

Post by bluemeanie » Sunday, 11 February 2018, 20:25 PM

Your radio doesn't track perfectly,,, none do. Then a guy chimes in his doesn't track,,, perfectly. You change to clarify him, then he changes to clarify you, then you change to clarify him, then he changes to clarify you, OK, then you change to clarify him, then he changes to clarify you, then you give up and listen to Donald Duck with the worst head cold in a century. Now another guy chimes in, then you clarify him then he clarifies you. Way back when wasn't to bad most work was done buy people that had real test equipment and radios were set up properly. Now there few techs, lots of cheap crappy test gear or none at all and everyone with a screwdriver is a tech. When you work lots of DX in a day there's stations all over the place frequency wise. If your an HF radio you use the rit and leave the transmit freq alone. Unlocked you wind up chasing your tail constant fiddling with the knobs. Distracted what EEEEEEeeeeehhhhhh CRASH BOOM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic