Retired Trucker with CB as base -questions?

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: CBrookie
Antenna: Solarcon 99A
Radio: Cobra 29 WX

Retired Trucker with CB as base -questions?

Post by CBrookie »

I'm retired from driving over the road, and I'd like to keep in contact with some great people that pass my way from time to time.
So, I have a Cobra 29 WX NW ST Sound Tracker - 40 Channel, that I took from my truck, and I bought a power supply a Pyramid P5-14 KX Low Ripple 14 am power supply 13.8 VDC 12 amp constant 14 amp surge.
(I have no idea what all that means.)

I've read all the postings that I thought were related to my situation - but, I'm over my head here.

What I'd really like to do, is to buy an anntena and some cable(s), mount the anntena on my 50 foot
flag pole outside my house, run the cable down it, into my den, sit back and enjoy some conversation.
I know a lot of truckers from out of state deliver around here and their always looking for directions
and avoiding low underpasses. I'd like to give directions if I can and help these drivers.

So, my question is - what would you suggest for an anntena and cable? Should I put a lighting rod in the
ground? My flag pole is spun alum.

Please excuse the basic approach to this equestion - I'm not up to speed on any of this. But I do enjoy the
CB and possibly, I'd like to get into this a little better, down the road.

In any event, here's what I've got so far:
Power Suppy - Pyramid P5 -14KX
CB - Cobra 29 WX NW ST Sound Tracker 40 Channel

Thank you.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor
Handle: dirtyjob
Antenna: Super Penetrator 500
Radio: Many

Re: Retired Trucker with CB as base -questions?

Post by dirtyjob »

get an imax 2000 antenna , its a 5/8 wave omni directional fiberglass antenna with good wind survivability, for what your gonna need this is prolly your best bet, they get out very well, i own one and talk all over.
Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA - Mark III & Mark II
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Kenwood TS-590S - Yaesu FT897D - Kenwood TS-870 - Icom IC-7300
Yaesu FT-101E - Tram D201A - President Lincoln - CP2000
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Super Penetrator 500 5/8 Wave
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
"North East Corner Of Massachusetts 613"
CBRT 18204
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by CBrookie »

Ok, thank you.

About the cable - does a cable of a specific typle, quality or rating ... or something like that, need to be addressed? I went to a local Radio Shack and the youngster on the counter couldn't help me. She keep on refering to something to do with a 8 or 58 something or other. I didn't follow the logic.

In any event, it looks like I'll need about - oh, about maybe 100 feet max. in cable length.

I really want to thank you for the advice on the anntena. Now I just have to find a place that sells the thing.
Again, you've been a great help.

Nice web site, all the info is really in-depth stuff.

Thanks again.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

CBrookie wrote:I'm retired from driving over the road, and I'd like to keep in contact with some great people that pass my way from time to time.
So, I have a Cobra 29 WX NW ST Sound Tracker - 40 Channel, that I took from my truck, and I bought a power supply a Pyramid P5-14 KX Low Ripple 14 am power supply 13.8 VDC 12 amp constant 14 amp surge.
(I have no idea what all that means.)

I've read all the postings that I thought were related to my situation - but, I'm over my head here.

What I'd really like to do, is to buy an anntena and some cable(s), mount the anntena on my 50 foot
flag pole outside my house, run the cable down it, into my den, sit back and enjoy some conversation.
I know a lot of truckers from out of state deliver around here and their always looking for directions
and avoiding low underpasses. I'd like to give directions if I can and help these drivers.

So, my question is - what would you suggest for an anntena and cable? Should I put a lighting rod in the
ground? My flag pole is spun alum.

Power Suppy - Pyramid P5 -14KX
CB - Cobra 29 WX NW ST Sound Tracker 40 Channel

Please excuse the basic approach to this equestion - I'm not up to speed on any of this. But I do enjoy the
CB and possibly, I'd like to get into this a little better, down the road.

In any event, here's what I've got so far:

Thank you.
Hi CBrookie,

My suggestion is also the I-Max 2000. The flag pole will act like a grounding rod for lightening. A good coax to use is RG-213. It will last along time so you will not have to replace it every few years. It is also a low loss coax that is a compromise between the cheap stuff and the really expensive coax. It will also reduce any bleed-over to your neighbors electronics.

The rest of your equipment is fine. The power supply is much more than you will need, but is good to have if you ever upgrade. Good luck and have fun. Truckers can use one of their own on the air because you can both relate to each other.

You know how some of these radio Rambos can be that have never driven the road can be.

Respectfully,
Respectfully as always,

Rick
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello CBrookie,
Welcome to the forum, you can get a lot of information from reading the posts. For a 100 ' run of coax you need to use RG 8/U or better for your antenna setup. The radio and power supply is just right. Yes I would install a ground rod and a lightning arrestor system. Antenna wise you can check out the sponsers' sites. The Imax 2000 antenna would be a good choice and would probably look very nice at the top of your flagpole.

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by CBrookie »

When I started driving, about 32 years ago, I took a load to Dallas and got lost big time. A retired driver had himself a CB in his home and helped me big time. I never forgot that. Now that I'm no longer hauling the lower 48, I thought it would be high time I did justice to that man that help'd me. I never did get his name - in fact,
kept on saying.."don't fret.." or something like that.

I wish I could offer advice on this subject to help others - but I'm really lost on this stuff.

Folks that drive over the road - Long Haul and Regional, live out of 6' by 10' box. We depend on one another
for help from time to time- but, for some reason, this is becoming vintage stuff. I usually left my CB off
most of the time. Only if I needed directions or I saw something worth advising another driver about for
safety sake, did I use my CB. Over the years a lot of not-so-nice people started using the CB for some
not-so-nice talk.

In any event, I sincerely wish to thank every one for helping me. You'd make some darn good people behind
the wheel.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

let us know how your base station comes out and also message back about any help you may need. :)
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by CBrookie »

Thank you. After I get a ladder and rig this anntena up (if I don't break my neck) I'll get back to you folks and let you know what's what.

I live in Western Massachusetts, and there's a lot of old rail underpasses, "no commercial" routes and so on. It's easy to get lost and find one's self in a tight spot that's difficult to get out of. I'm pretty much familar with most of
the Northeast - except NYC, so I know the value of getting help at 3am from anybody. I'm retired and up most
of the time. In fact, I'm going to call some of the guys that I use to know and drive with - see if I can set up a
network of something to help other Over The Road, Long Haul and Regional drivers by having retired drivers like
me giving directions and other helpful stuff over our CB's base station. There's a lot of newbee's out there getting into the industry - displaced from work elsewhere. Trucking can be a crule taskmaster when your all alone, 800 miles or so from home. Maybe I can give back to the business and some of the folks that help'd me provide for my family. There's a lot of very good people.

When I do start calling the guys I use to drive with, I'm going to telling them about this web site. Very, very informative and easy to follow. Nice people too. Thanks.
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

A ladder to get to the top of that 50 foot flag pole? All I can say is that you are much more dedicated than I am! LOL. To the roof top, maybe...
- 'Doc
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Post by Night Crawler »

That is a scary thought.
dirtyjob
Donor
Donor

Post by dirtyjob »

man be carefull on that ladder!! the imax 2000 is a 24 foot antenna in itself, get some help as it will be a 2man job to be safe. If you do not have a local radio shop to get your hands on a base antenna you can shop online , google listings for the Solarcon IMAX-2000 you will get many hits im sure to buy one, ive seen them anywhere from 99.00 - 140.00 so shop for the best price shipped you can find, if you do not want to tangle with this 24 foot antenna you could also try the 17ft Solarcon Omni-Directional Fiberglass Base Station Antenna A-99 they sell for around 75.00 - 99.00 and work good. Best of luck, please adhere to my 1st line of safety 1st. I am also located in Massachusetts but up in the Northeast corner on the New Hampshire State line near Salisbury Beach.
"LISTEN FOR THE PING"
Gizmotchy G-31 Beam
Comet GP9 2 meter/440
CBRT 18204
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by CBrookie »

I used to do flatbed work - rigging and other stuff that required speical equipment. But you're right, climbing a ladder while holding on to an anntena like that is dangerous work, not something left to an amateur.

Thank you for the suggestions.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Handle: Rick
Antenna: Wilson 2000
Radio: HR 2510

Post by TheCBDoctor »

CBrookie wrote:When I started driving, about 32 years ago, I took a load to Dallas and got lost big time. A retired driver had himself a CB in his home and helped me big time. I never forgot that. Now that I'm no longer hauling the lower 48, I thought it would be high time I did justice to that man that help'd me. I never did get his name - in fact,

I wish I could offer advice on this subject to help others - but I'm really lost on this stuff.

Folks that drive over the road - Long Haul and Regional, live out of 6' by 10' box. We depend on one another
for help from time to time- but, for some reason, this is becoming vintage stuff. I usually left my CB off
most of the time. Only if I needed directions or I saw something worth advising another driver about for
safety sake, did I use my CB. Over the years a lot of not-so-nice people started using the CB for some
not-so-nice talk.

In any event, I sincerely wish to thank every one for helping me. You'd make some darn good people behind
the wheel.

Hi CBrookie,

There was at time when a driver would go to a packed eatery with drivers he did not know and he could sit at any table and be welcomed. Today with the fast food chains the days of comradeship between drivers is getting lost. I worked on tracker trailer radios and installs for over 22 years. Especially in the early days and in the past 7 years.

i have met drivers that landed on the beaches on D-Day, fought in every war since then, and others that had some hard luck as well as inspiring stories. I met a guy that got the handle "Snowbound" because he was stuck in the middle of nowhere in a blizzard. He got on the radio and managed to talk to the locals. They came out with their farm trackers and invited him to stay at their home.

They fed him and gave him a place to sleep for 2 days and asked for nothing in return. They called him "Snowbound" and that is what he took as his handle. There are still some good drivers out there. The one thing I learned is that if you want good advice just ask a driver with a half a million miles or so under his belt. You can learn a lot.

After a while you may want to put a little "heat under your seat" You may be retired, but you will never be alone. Thanks for keeping America going.

Rick
Respectfully as always,

Rick
Don1962
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Antron99/y-quad beam
Radio: Cobra 2k/ Galaxy 959

Post by Don1962 »

Hi CBrookie!! I myself am a driver to. If i were you i'd leave the flagpole alone and get myself a pushup pole about 30 or 40 ft. And the Imax is diffenly a good antenna, but the antron is a little easier to handle, an does about as good a job, especially if ur not planing to do a lot of skip. The Antron99 does a very good job for DXing also. Good luck!! :)
Don Newman, 403 Kansas, American Eagle 403, Bountyhunter or Sundance (local)
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

I agree with Don1962. Leave the flag pole for flags! While it may cost a few dollars more for the pushup pole, and ground rod, you can mount it closer to your home saving on Coax you have to buy. Also, you will have the ability to raise and lower the antenna for setting the SWR, and any maintenance. Plus you can do this all by yourself and be in no real danger of falling!! I have used all the antennas mentioned above and they all will do you a fine job. IMHO, For the price difference, Just as well do the IMAX-2000.

Good luck my friend and welcome to the site. There are plenty of experienced folks on here to help you any way you choose to go! See ya!
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

rig up a close fitting sleeve on your pole,, about a foot long so that its somewhat stable at the top,,(pole is probably tapered,right?) then use the pulley and rope to run your antenna up the pole just like the flag,,, you can easily take it down to work on it.. as for an antenna, you might even try a longwire or fasten a homebrewed dipole to the sleeve.
goodluck,
outlaw1960
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by outlaw1960 »

443 Arizona wrote:rig up a close fitting sleeve on your pole,, about a foot long so that its somewhat stable at the top,,(pole is probably tapered,right?) then use the pulley and rope to run your antenna up the pole just like the flag,,, you can easily take it down to work on it.. as for an antenna, you might even try a longwire or fasten a homebrewed dipole to the sleeve.
goodluck,
funny thing i was gonna suggest using a di-pole on the flagpole also ...just a quick question trucker...is there a reason you can't/ don't wish to mount antenna on the house or in a tree??? friend of mine had me put a bigstick up in a 30 foot tree about 30 years ago,,it lasted forever and was nice and hidden from eyes
352 Smiley

Post by 352 Smiley »

i whould get a imax 2000 they are good ant.
Clodhopper
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 3 Foot Firestick
Radio: Galaxy DX979

Post by Clodhopper »

For lightning protection, Google "polyphaser"..Welcome to the forum, fellow trucker!!!! :cheers:
Zman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Zman »

http://www.channelmaster.com/ ... t_s/84.htm

Look for one of these. I think Ace hardware can get them. The last one i bought i got from my local Ace for under 100.00. MUCH safer than trying to climb a ladder to install a floppy I maxx 2000!!!
Ole BB
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: 1000, Super Penetrat
Radio: Cobra 25, Romar 23Ch

Post by Ole BB »

Zman wrote:http://www.channelmaster.com/ ... t_s/84.htm

Look for one of these. I think Ace hardware can get them. The last one i bought i got from my local Ace for under 100.00. MUCH safer than trying to climb a ladder to install a floppy I maxx 2000!!!
How long ago did you buy this pushup pole from ACE? I could sure use one of those. It is hard standing with one foot on my tower and one on the roof of my garage fooling with my old Super Penetrator...the verticle is 17-22 feet long and it (I myself) gets wobbly up there!
CBrookie
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by CBrookie »

Well, it's been some time since I was on. I had a health issue that was hard to deal with there for a while. Came home two weeks ago and I'm getting back on my feet.

Too my surprise, my son put up a Solarcon 99a, put up a tower for me, hooked up my ole Cobra 29, connected some coax 99-14400 RG8X, and even had the entire setup running when I came in the door. He set up my den as a "shack", sort of.

For the last two days I've been up since 4am, talking to anyone and everyone.

You're not going to believe this - but, the other night I got Texas, Florida, and somebody in Lumberton, North Carolina. The skip was crazy and it was good to get back into this.

As soon as I'm able I post some pictures.

Good to be back.
barefoothank
Donor
Donor
Antenna: lil will,A99
Radio: trc-485, 959,979

Post by barefoothank »

CBrookie wrote:When I started driving, about 32 years ago, I took a load to Dallas and got lost big time. A retired driver had himself a CB in his home and helped me big time. I never forgot that. Now that I'm no longer hauling the lower 48, I thought it would be high time I did justice to that man that help'd me. I never did get his name - in fact,

not-so-nice talk.

the wheel.
I don't know if it's the same guy but I hear him a lot ,go's by the name of "Traffic Man "any way that's a nice gesture to help out of towners, have fun.
587, a nudder mudder

Buzzweiser
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: Peacemaker
Antenna: Performer 5000
Radio: Custom Built 2970N4

Post by Buzzweiser »

Welcome back!! Hope all is well with you now. Sounds like you got a good son there. That Antron 99 will work just fine for ya as you can probably tell already since you got some DX on it already. I work mostly SSB but if you happen to hear Ohio out there jump on 20 and give us a shout, I'm sometimes there. Have fun!!