2013 Police Tahoe Setup

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
AggiePhil
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.
Handle: Mr. McPickle
Radio: Cobra 31 Plus (1987)

2013 Police Tahoe Setup

Post by AggiePhil »

How could I go about mounting a Cobra 29 LX BT or similar radio vertically on the floor in front of my center seat (jumpseat)? I've been unable to find a bracket long enough to allow the vertical orientation. There isn't much room front to back, especially with the arm rest/cupholders down. I tried to post photos but apparently the site won't let me. Thanks.
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Re: 2013 Police Tahoe Setup

Post by Slyguy »

Welcome to CBRT!! You need 10 posts before you can post pictures.
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
AggiePhil
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by AggiePhil »

Gotcha. Any idea about a bracket I could use?
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Welcome AggiePhil, I have used a mount that attaches to a seat bolt. It has a flexible arm that you can position where you need it and put your radio bracket on it. It should allow you to get it in location you are talking about. They have them in different lengths also.
shaggy7705
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" SS WHIP
Radio: SuperStar 3900GHP

Post by shaggy7705 »

Welcome to CBRT
Shaggy(705)Said that.
73's
Base
Galaxy DX 2517
Golden Eagle D104
2x Pyramid 52psk
Commstar 2xSD1446
Antron 99
Mobile
Superstar 3900GHP/Galaxy Pluto Hybrid
Midnight Special 500 4x2SC2879
102" SS Whip
Astatic 575M6
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello AggiePhil,
Welcome to CBRT from 321, the Middle of Maryland. Most of use with newer vehicles know your dilemma. I used 2 L-shaped brackets from the local hardware store that are for shelving. They come 6"x6" , 8"x8". It will give you enough rise to mount your radio. I also have some friends that bought the laptop mounts and are using them for their radio equipment.
Being new to the forum it would be nice to go to "Welcome to the Forum" and write a little intro, there are a lot of members that will say "Hello" .

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
AggiePhil
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by AggiePhil »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It's nice to be here and more importantly, to be getting back into CB. I've gone through a few trucks since last having a CB and I've missed it.
Punkin Head wrote:Welcome AggiePhil, I have used a mount that attaches to a seat bolt. It has a flexible arm that you can position where you need it and put your radio bracket on it. It should allow you to get it in location you are talking about. They have them in different lengths also.
Sounds interesting. Got a link?
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

I can get a link. Give me just a few to located it.

Mon 10 Dec, 2012 20:28 PM

here is one that I have used. It dont have the flexible arm but alittle more stable. Bolts to floor and come straight up to radio.
http://www.cbcity.com/item/6- ... Mount-1421

here is the other one I was talking about, I didnt see it in the sponsors stores. But its a satellite radio mount. It will hold a unit like a cobra 29. It does not like the heavier export radios. But I think either of these would serve your purpose.
http://www.google.com/shoppin ... CE4Q8wIwAA

edit put wrong link in first time
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

If you can't find a bracket to fit you can always make one. As long as it's strong/stiff enough to support the radio it doesn't much matter what it's made of (metal/wood/plastic). I'm sure such a bracket has been made by a lot of people, probably no two of them being alike. Just takes a little imagination.
- 'Doc
shaggy7705
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: 102" SS WHIP
Radio: SuperStar 3900GHP

Post by shaggy7705 »

ok guys, so i'm helping out AggiePhil. He sent me some pics of the setup that he wants to do. i said i would post them for him. so here ya go

This one is his truck

This is what he was thinking
Shaggy(705)Said that.
73's
Base
Galaxy DX 2517
Golden Eagle D104
2x Pyramid 52psk
Commstar 2xSD1446
Antron 99
Mobile
Superstar 3900GHP/Galaxy Pluto Hybrid
Midnight Special 500 4x2SC2879
102" SS Whip
Astatic 575M6
BushHog
Handle: Bushhog
Radio: general lee

Post by BushHog »

The bottom pic looks like its homemade, you can buy the metal at home depot or lowes and just bend it to your needs

sent from the Bushhog Mobile
AggiePhil
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by AggiePhil »

So I installed a Laird C27S antenna on the Pro.Fit Tahoe hood/fender NMO mount. Looks good BUT the antenna is around 54" long and it hits the garage door then drags across the ceiling. Therefore, this setup is a no-go.

What are y'all's thoughts on using an Opek Technologies NMO to 3/8" CB antenna adapter to attach a 2' or 3' FireStik to the Pro.Fit NMO mount? I could also use the 2 ft. Solarcon A-110 3/8" antenna if I didn't want the fiberglass look.

Thoughts?
str8stroke
Donor
Donor
Antenna: 1/16 Wave Dipole
Radio: Gold Cobra 29LTD

Post by str8stroke »

Can you do a small mag mount antenna?? Something like a Lil Wil or K30. I have seen them on local law enforcement rigs. I help set one state trooper up with one. He wanted to monitor 19. I tuned it and worked awesome. I did the mag mount and routed the coax through a light bar hole. Looked pretty neat. After I did his, several others wanted the same rig. I made a wood mount on that I screwed to the transmission hump for easy removal. Then he mounted a cel phone and BUG holder on it too. I just used some marine grade plywood, sheet rock screws and black paint. Wish I had taken some pics. But worked like a charm.
Ric Flair is on the Air, with Pink Underwear!!! WHAOOO!!!
FarmeroBrown
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Farmer Brown
Antenna: Sirio Tornado
Radio: Royce 642

Post by FarmeroBrown »

AggiePhil wrote:So I installed a Laird C27S antenna on the Pro.Fit Tahoe hood/fender NMO mount. Looks good BUT the antenna is around 54" long and it hits the garage door then drags across the ceiling. Therefore, this setup is a no-go.

What are y'all's thoughts on using an Opek Technologies NMO to 3/8" CB antenna adapter to attach a 2' or 3' FireStik to the Pro.Fit NMO mount? I could also use the 2 ft. Solarcon A-110 3/8" antenna if I didn't want the fiberglass look.

Thoughts?
The lil Will(have had many and they are fantastic) like Str8stroke mentioned is great but may drag your carport door-the adapter and the Firestik or Wilson Silver Load would also do great. I have a kit ordered with a hood/fender mount, coax and Wilson ant. and it should be a really nice setup for our Ford pickup. Farmer
Farmer
'Doc

Post by 'Doc »

Can you use a shorter antenna? Sure, but don't expect the same 'performance' as what you have now. If that's acceptable to you then have at it.
- 'Doc
AggiePhil
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by AggiePhil »

I think I might wind up just getting an NMO mag mount for the Laird antenna and only mounting it when I go on road trips. I really like the idea of being able to listen in at any time without having to stop and mount the antenna, but I don't think I'll be able to get what I'm after with a permanent mount setup due to the height limitations of my garage. Maybe some day we'll build a new house and I can spec out an extra high garage door. :icon_e_wink:
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

I have a 102 mounted on the roof of my small SUV and I have a tie down under the corner of the hood. 5 seconds and I pull right in the garage!!! Just my 2 cents....

Snowman
Slyguy
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Antenna: Yes
Radio: Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom

Post by Slyguy »

I like 420s idea for best performance. Diamond makes a motorized antenna mount that will retract by the flip of a switch. It won't handle a big antenna, but will work fine with a small Wilson or comparable antenna.
http://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000tm.html
Slyguy
Zero Six Three
Sherman Texas

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Slyguy wrote:I like 420s idea for best performance. Diamond makes a motorized antenna mount that will retract by the flip of a switch. It won't handle a big antenna, but will work fine with a small Wilson or comparable antenna.
http://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000tm.html
That motorized mount is pretty cool! That would be awesome to use in a mobile beam setup. One second your omni, then BAM, your a 2 element beam!!!

Snowman
ENIGMA6
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Sad Sack
Antenna: Mobile only
Radio: Multiple

Post by ENIGMA6 »

AggiePhil wrote:How could I go about mounting a Cobra 29 LX BT or similar radio vertically on the floor in front of my center seat (jumpseat)? I've been unable to find a bracket long enough to allow the vertical orientation. There isn't much room front to back, especially with the arm rest/cupholders down. I tried to post photos but apparently the site won't let me. Thanks.
Could you put that stock mount under your radio and in the center seat belt thru it and let it hang in front of the seat? Got to where so many vehicles have full length consoles with no where to mount a CB.