Help a newbie!

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
okie25
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Help a newbie!

Post by okie25 »

Well I wrote a big long post and I'm not sure where it went. Sooo here it goes again....

Hi everyone.

I drive a 2012 frieghtliner Coronado daycab. I'm have a cobra 29 lx, with factory coax running out to to Francis antennas. One is 4.5 foot and the other is 5.5 foot. I bought two different lengths by mistake.

My radio won't hardly get out for anything. If you are more than a half mile from me I can't hear you and you can't hear me. There isn't a cb shop within a 100 miles of me so I'm trying to figure all this out on my own.

I thought about ditching the factory coax and getting good coax, run that to a 102" whip mounted on my catwalk behind the cab. There would only be 2.5 foot above the cab though. I also have a horizontal bar behind my cab in the center towards the top. I could mount a antenna there. I could mount around a 5 foot antenna there and almost all of the antenna would be above the truck.

What should I do to help my radio out? Maybe something different than what I thought of? Would a different mic help out at all?

Thank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
p38
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: P38
Antenna: wilson5k,sirio!
Radio: magnums9 /madison

Re: Help a newbie!

Post by p38 »

get two whips from radio shack or the truck stop and the good rg8 cable with pl259 connectors you will have much better receive. when you've got the $$ got two monkey made antennas or something simular shop around do your research! and about the mic get an astatic they do wonders. make sure the antennas are hooked up properly with the insulating washer in the correct place and the radio has a good power source and ground.
my issue was i had the washer on the wrong way... so what your saying sounds like an antenna ground issue. check the swr with the swr meter from radio shack not the built in one they are not 100% reliable. an antena booster might be a good idea never tried one myself but i hear good things about them.
Jack of all trades ,master of none

ASE certified technician

my radios -cobra 25ltd /cobra 29ltdX2 /trc-501 / 1977 president madison am-usb-lsb/ magnum deltaforce 10meter /stryker 955hp magnums9 . imax 2000/ 102whip /k40 mag mount aracher crossbow 3 element on the flat side.