Radio Suggestions

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
dougw181
Donor
Donor
Handle: 917
Antenna: Inverted V Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000

Radio Suggestions

Post by dougw181 »

I have a 2012 Expedition EL that I want to install a radio in. I have a 79 model President Grant that wont fit anywhere. I currently am using a Cobra 75 with a Wilson 5000 magnet mount. While it has great ears, it sucks on transmit and has no SSB. I am looking to put a din size stereo in the dash and would like to find a din sized radio to go below it. I understand that a Magnum 257 or a CRE8900 will fit. Has anyone done this type of install. I am looking to get my ham ticket, but understand that I am breaking the rules either way, but these newer vehicles leave very limited choices when it comes to installing any type of two way radio.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Doug
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Re: Radio Suggestions

Post by silvereagle1 »

I believe bulldog 777 in maine did that type of install with a 980. he's got a post on here somewhere and also has you tube videos that you can google. I think the 980 is the same size dimensions as what you're looking at for references.

Picture is from bulldog triple 7 out of Maine
Topic product reviews uniden 980

President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
wi 544
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Antenna: Gizmotchy
Radio: several

Post by wi 544 »

the magnum 257 is no longer being made so dealers are just selling out what they have left in stock(rf limited / magnum are coming out with new radios later this year)

cre8900 is a good little radio (has noisey receive)

980ssb is good for what it is, very low power and no channel mods

id go for the optima mk3, there are still some left in the usa, many of the features that it has are mods people pay to have done after they buy other radios
Big blue
Donor
Donor
Handle: Lets Do This!
Antenna: M103C & Colossal 10K
Radio: Yaesu FT990; Home Brew 3-500Z

Post by Big blue »

wi 544 wrote:the magnum 257 is no longer being made so dealers are just selling out what they have left in stock(rf limited / magnum are coming out with new radios later this year)

cre8900 is a good little radio (has noisey receive)

980ssb is good for what it is, very low power and no channel mods

id go for the optima mk3, there are still some left in the usa, many of the features that it has are mods people pay to have done after they buy other radios
Maybe you should consider a President Grant 2 ?
bluemeanie
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue
Antenna: Max 2000 MACO M105
Radio: LOTS OF TUBES

Post by bluemeanie »

OK I'm talking a lot of money but since your talking ham ticket look at a Kenwood TS50. You can find them used in places but its a full featured HF rig. No mods of any kind required except to open up the general receiver to transmit. Super easy. Great little radio, 100 watts. I love mine, wish I had more.
Mark
rickk
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Francis/Breedlove
Radio: Galaxy DX979

Post by rickk »

Alinco makes a couple of HF radios with detachable front panels. You put the radio wherever you want and you can Velcro the control panel someplace convenient.
dougw181
Donor
Donor
Handle: 917
Antenna: Inverted V Dipole
Radio: Cobra 2000

Post by dougw181 »

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I ordered a double din adapter for the dash and will confirm the measurements I have to work with when it comes in.
I am thinking of looking into the Kenwood suggestion if it will fit. I mainly want AM for when I am cruising the highway, but want everything else when I want
to talk skip. I will let you know which way I go, and provide pictures of the install when I get done to help others out that may be in the same situation I am in
now. Thanks again, Doug.
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Pictures would be great Doug if you get a chance. I always enjoy looking at installation pictures of others equipment. :cheers:
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
fat boy
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by fat boy »

Yaesu ft857d or ft100 the 100 can only be found used
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

fat boy wrote:Yaesu ft857d or ft100 the 100 can only be found used
I just came across an Icom IC706MKIIG, HF/VHF/UHF, everything you want in one package. The display (head) is removable and can be mounted on a cup holder mount, seat bolt mount, or one of the suction cup windshield mounts. But with ham radios you really have to like antennas, there is no shortie's that will work properly.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

You want AM (channel 19) for the highway, but also a HAM (SSB) radio for another band?
As MDY posted, the antenna is going to be the big problem, plus a true HAM radio isn't going to perform well on AM.
Deleted User 14541

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Some Ham radios can do very well on AM with the right filters but you have to do your homework. Will they scream like a Stryker or General Lee?...No, but a rich warm sound is achievable. How easy it is to get depends on the radio. Its not always practical in a mobile but least 6 or 8 k wide makes good sounding AM.