radio trouble

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Soberbyker
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

radio trouble

Post by Soberbyker »

I recently picked up a used Magnum 1 radio.

I've been trying to zero in this radio but seem to be having issues. I think it may be overheating and I don't understand why.

When I hook this up to my meter (Workman HP 201S) sometimes it give me a reading and sometimes it won't move the needle at all, even though I can hear it key up. This is when using any mode on the meter, SWR cal, power, etc. I've run the meter with my Uniden 520XL and it works every time so I'm pretty sure it's not the meter.

Another issue is when hooked to the meter the radio keys up fine but take the meter out of the loop and it tends to squeal. I do not have this radio installed while checking the meter and whatnot it's been sitting on my passenger seat. The Jeep is on and I'm in the middle of a large parking lot so there's not interference by structures/wires etc.

I have a really good antenna, Sirio Fighter P-5000, the coax is pretty new too.

I'm at a loss.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: radio trouble

Post by 443 Arizona »

do you have a correct mic for it? try a second mic. next thing is to check your coax and ant. and also ground the chassis of the radio, also, what position is the ant on the jeep? hood,top,bumper??? and is it mounted/grounded?
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds like the radio has had some fingers in it turning things, the worse part is that radio sounds good out of the box. You could leave the meters jumper inline, just get a barrel connector.
Good grounds and bonding the vehicle is the key to any install, the antenna is probably using the coax as it's ground, experience with Jeeps, nothing in that vehicle is bonded, all the electrical connections carry their own ground, it's a feedback thing to the computer to tell it what wrong. Where do you have the Sirio mounted and what mount are you using?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Soberbyker
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by Soberbyker »

Thanks for the replies. The squeal seems to have been caused by the talk back feature, turned it off, no more squeal.

The antenna is mounted on the tire carrier on the tailgate, this mount was designed to be used exactly in this manner on a Wrangler and a ground wire from the tailgate to the Jeep chassis to a spot the paint was removed from. Also added is a Hustler QD-2 Antenna Quick Disconnect for antenna removal. The coax is Wilson 305-830 18' Belden Coax Cable with PL-259/FME Connectors.

I've had this set-up work perfectly with other "regular" radios.

There's no doubt the inside of this radio has been "adjusted" at the very least the full range mod was performed.

FWIW, I've had it hooked up in my Jeep for a couple days now and have made a few contacts on 19, told it sounds fine, one as far as about 12 air miles. Also has one LSB contact about 5 miles away, told I was "right in the middle, sounded good", but I don't know much about side band and was told not to use "break" but rather CQ CQ.

PS, I had some photo's and links included on this post to show y'all what I'm dealing with but am still too new here and am not allowed such things in my posts yet. :cry: