technical difficulties

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
dad333
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

technical difficulties

Post by dad333 »

I need some help please
I have a 2012 freightliner Cascadia and when I hook up my 250w linear with my radio and key up it shuts down my dashboard everything goes off
please tell me what is wrong
thanks
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: technical difficulties

Post by MDYoungblood »

It could be a number of things. The first thing that probably isn't done is bonding he vehicle. I know the majority of the body panels are plastic, so add a ground wire from the case of the radio and the amp to a good ground surface. SWR has to be right too, anything over 1.5:1 is going to cause problems like you are experiencing. Now what brand amp is it, that we need to know to say how dirty a signal it puts out. This is a start, will probably see more info as others chip in.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dad333
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by dad333 »

RM MOD.351/P AMPLIFIER 60-200W (KL400)
can I use the wires in cb spot or would you recommend using all new ones for the radio and the amp
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay, I am not talking about the negative leads on the radio and amp, what I am saying is to add a wire from a case screw to ground, not to the 12v power terminals for accessories in the cab. There should be a ground terminal under the dash but don't run it to where the dash electronics is hooked up, that might cause a ground loop. The amp is actually very nice, I run the same thing in my pickup. Once you have added the grounds start off on #1 position and try each until the amp interferes with the dash components then go back a number and I wouldn't go any higher, I use #3 position and no one can tell the difference between 3 and 5.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
dad333
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.

Post by dad333 »

Thank you sir I will try this and get back to you