Nothing but noise after new install...

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Nothing but noise after new install...

Post by 68jimmy »

Good evening and hello from Albuquerque. This is my first CB install and I'm needing some wisdom from those who are in the know. First the basics, the radio is a used Cobra 19 DX IV from a local craigslist ad, a 4' firestik ground plane antennae from RightChannelRadios that included the mounting brackets, coax cable and finally the vehicle is a 1989 Toyota 4Runner.

I mounted the cb under the radio in the dash, attached power and routed the cable under the carpet behind the interior panels to where the cable attaches to the antennae on the drivers side above the taillight. All in all I was pretty proud of my install until I powered up the radio. The radio powers up fine but all I get is noise on all channels with no discernible audio from anyone transmitting. The display on the radio shows 'Busy' which according to the manual it's receiving something regardless of the squelch or rf gain settings.

I don't have an swr meter so I haven't tuned the antennae but I have verified my mount is grounded properly by using a meter to check the resistance between the negative post of my battery and the mount itself. I figured the radio should be picking up some type of chatter which would cleanup after an antenna tune. Any help with troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
donovan
Bozo
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Re: Nothing but noise after new install...

Post by Bozo »

I would suggest checking your SWR's with a meter, but it sounds like the radio could have issues. You said that you got out on Craigslist. That sounds suspicious like a bad buy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Donate here

Bluerunner
Donor
Donor
Handle: BlueRunner
Antenna: Starduster
Radio: Cobra 142

Post by Bluerunner »

Is it only noisy with the engine running?
silvereagle1
Donor
Donor
Handle: Silver Eagle
Antenna: Sirio Turbo 5000
Radio: President Lincoln 2

Post by silvereagle1 »

Check to see if it has a NB (Noise Blanker) switch.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
President Lincoln 2
Sirio Turbo 5000 Roof Mount
567 East Tennessee
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 68jimmy »

Bozo wrote: April 20th, 2017, 9:57 pm I would suggest checking your SWR's with a meter, but it sounds like the radio could have issues. You said that you got out on Craigslist. That sounds suspicious like a bad buy.

Luckily I only paid $25 for it.... I'll probably order an swr from right channel today.

Thanks.

(edited by MDY, repaired quote)
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 68jimmy »

Bluerunner, Noisy either way.

Silvereagle1, No NB switch

Thanks!
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

you have got to find a swr meter to see what your swr is at. if it is messed up could cause these problems. a cheap 12.00 one will work just to set the swr and go from there. you need to get one that has some form of wattage out put reading also . using a ohm meter you can check if any thing is shorted with the coax. make sure your mount has the fiber washer in the right location so the antenna is not touching ground. just a couple days ago one guy here had the insulator in the wrong spot and he could not get any thing but noise also.

[ Post made via Linux Laptop ] Image
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 68jimmy »

Sonoma,

Thanks for the info. Cant seem to find any cb shops here in albuquerque so I'll probably order an swr meter today. I made sure the plastic washer was in the right place before I snugged it down and checked for a proper ground between the mount itself and the neg post of my battery which was under 10ohms, seems ok...

Thanks.
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

put the ohm meter on the antenna and ground to see if it shows to be no resistance on the meter. should show a open conection.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

68jimmy wrote: April 21st, 2017, 8:15 am Sonoma,

Thanks for the info. Cant seem to find any cb shops here in albuquerque so I'll probably order an swr meter today. I made sure the plastic washer was in the right place before I snugged it down and checked for a proper ground between the mount itself and the neg post of my battery which was under 10ohms, seems ok...

Thanks.
Check the coax to make sure it isn't shorted or broken like sonoma said, it also could be the antenna is bad, fiberglass antennas usually break contact at the solder joint on the stud.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 68jimmy »

MDYoungblood wrote: April 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm
68jimmy wrote: April 21st, 2017, 8:15 am Sonoma,

Thanks.
Check the coax to make sure it isn't shorted or broken like sonoma said, it also could be the antenna is bad, fiberglass antennas usually break contact at the solder joint on the stud.

3's

Greg
MDTYoungblood, Thanks for the reply. As Sonoma suggested, I rechecked the antennae vs. ground and I'm happy to say that it all checks out ok. The antennae is brand new from RightChannelRadios and I'm sure it is ok. I will say that earlier today as I was around town I was able to pick up a faint conversation on Channel 16 so it may just be that my antennae needs a tune...

Thanks.
68jimmy
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by 68jimmy »

Update: So after pondering the possibility that my radio was on the fritz I decided to purchase a new unit. I picked up a Uniden 520ProXL from Amazon along with an SWR meter from RightChannelRadio. I mounted the radio and ran both the power and ground directly to the battery, setup the SWR meter with the following readings: CH1=1.3:1, CH40=1.1:1 and CH20=1.1:1, all in all great readings. I am sad to say that my experience has not improved at all with only one conversation picked up on CH16. I have ANL off, Squelch off and RF gain at max and still not picking up any chatter. Either there is little CB use in the Albuquerque area or its something with my setup. I rechecked the ground and from what I can tell its all good... Not sure what to do next...

thanks.
battyice
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Robert
Antenna: Tram 1498
Radio: Uniden 980SSB

Post by battyice »

I had the same experience with nearly the same equipment - then I tried it a week later and picked up a bunch of skip and some local truckers. Just be patient. Try running it on Channel 28 for a while and see if you pick up anyone. Lots of guys talk skip on 28.

I would run the ANL on.
Station 731, Northern NY

-Robert
sonoma
Donor
Donor

Post by sonoma »

if you are close to a highway run on channel 19 where the truckers run. here in oklahoma it will be the same way some days. not a sole on the radio then the next day or 2 later guys will be talking. also run the anl on to help cut out a lot of the motor noise. the only place I might turn the NB ANL switch off is on my base. but I normally have it on in the mobile and base also. the ANL will help you hear the far off stations and you do not have to listen to all the static that CB radios have. some mobiles are less noisy than others. my cobra 148 and president jackson radios are a lot quieter than some others. most of the new radios are noisy compared to some of the older ones. just my opinion. I bought a uniden 880 and ran it for 1 week and I pulled it out and put it back in the box since it was noisy compared to my cobra 148.