Vanco HD Stainless Steel Antenna Spring. 3. raises SWR.

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

Mentor3006
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Vanco HD Stainless Steel Antenna Spring. 3. raises SWR.

Post by Mentor3006 » Wednesday, 29 August 2007, 11:09 AM

The Vanco Heavy Duty Stainless Steel CB Antenna spring seemed like a good buy when I saw it in the electronics shop. I was trying to upgrade from a Radio Shack Chrome antenna spring. There were myriad problems with the Vanco, starting with, it is about HALF the height of the Radio Shack, Hustler, and other competing springs. Upon installation of the spring, I noticed my SWR jumped from 1.1 flat across the band, to 1.3 on ch 1, to 1.4 on ch 40. The spring is also VERY floppy, allowing my 102" to whip around a LOT more at the base than I am used to seeing, which is VERY entertaining on quick stops! The spring itself has several very deep gouges in the coils I am assuming were caused by the manufacturing or packaging equipment. Generally speaking, for so so road trippers I guess it would be okay, but this thing ticks me off. I gave it a 3 and I think I was being generous. I regret buying it.

The only item in the packaging was the spring with stud attached. No lock washer.

3/8" Stainless Steel lock washer.

REVIEW RATINGS:

Overall Rating:
RX TX: 3
Features: 3
Ease of Use: 3
Value: 3
Durability: Withheld. I don't know how well it will hold up. It seems durable enough.

Others might have had better experiences with this spring than I have. Like I mentioned above, I REALLY regret buying it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic