Astatic ASTEB1 echo board

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

srtga
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Astatic ASTEB1 echo board

Post by srtga » Thursday, 21 May 2009, 20:15 PM

These boards got a few bad reviews that I've seen. Mostly comparing them to Connex or Turbo boards. Anyway, I'm happy with the Astatic. I just wanted a touch of echo although this one can be turned up to the annoying repeat level :lol:

It came with the board with dual pot connected as well as 3 mounting brackets fastened to the board (no screws for mounting to the chassis) and a set of instructions.

Installation was pretty straight forward with a total of 6 wires to connect and drilling the hole for the pot.

About the only thing I can complain about is the quality of the knobs. They needed some fiddling with to prevent the inside knob from rubbing against the outer plus the inside knob was REALLY loose on the shaft and required some epoxy to get it to hold. Very cheezy... The instructions were pretty straight forward with pics of the echo board although there were no specific instructions relating to any particular radio brand.

I have a swing kit and variable DK on my radio and the board had no effect on my output or my variable DK although there have been reports of this board raising DK. About the only thing I noticed was that it would feedback if the mic gain and echo level were both set high. Lowering my mic gain stopped the feedback.

Here's a recording of it transmitting through my little Cobra from about a mile and a half away.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a noob but I couldn't find much info on this echo board so I figured I'd share what I found.

TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Radio: HR 2510
Name: Rick
Referrals: 4

Re: Astatic ASTEB1 echo board

Post by TheCBDoctor » Friday, 22 May 2009, 6:29 AM

Hi srtga

I stopped installing the Astatic echo boards a while ago because they would cause an RF hum. I had one driver complain that the only way the radio would not hum is when it was placed on its side. As soon as he told me it started after he had an echo board installed I knew it was an Astatic echo.

They work fine in a base station with a full wave antenna, but consistently had that RF hum in the background on Tx in a mobile. I put in a BB-2 and it worked perfectly. I now have a dozen Astatic echoes that are waiting for a Base station somewhere. It has been 4 years and I don't think they will be going anywhere for a while.

Live and learn :icon_rolleyes:
Best Regards,

Rick, The CB Doctor

OFFICIAL SPONSOR - http://www.thecbdoctor.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

srtga
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Re: Astatic ASTEB1 echo board

Post by srtga » Friday, 22 May 2009, 16:58 PM

I just finished a 300 mile trip with it and I got good reports. No humming, buzzing, nothing. I did notice the instruction sheet said to not hook up the ground if it caused static but I hooked mine up figuring I could DC it if it caused problems.

Having said that, I would probably have gone with another unit if I had researched it before buying. It would have been a PITA to take it out again. Plus the knobs are really crappy.

It does seem to work just fine in my Uniden PC68. Maybe something to do with the noise filtering? It can't be luck because I have none! (Well, maybe bad...)

Locked Previous topicNext topic