Astatic AST-878DM Desk Microphone - 5 - Amplified Base Mic.

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

Bulldog777
Donor
Donor
Radio: Base & Mobile
Antenna: Base & Mobile
Name: Reno

Astatic AST-878DM Desk Microphone - 5 - Amplified Base Mic.

Post by Bulldog777 » Wednesday, 16 December 2009, 1:40 AM

The Astatic AST-787DM Desk Microphone is a real nice sounding amplified base microphone! It is styled after the older Astatic 1104C but without the external top slide controls for the gain and tone. The gain control on this model is below at the base. You will need a small screwdriver to adjust the gain control. The battery compartment is different and makes it easy to replace the battery. This micropohone was wired to a Cobra 2000 GTL. Had to run a separate ground wire due to a transformer type sound coming from the microphone head. Very light tone present no matter what the gain was set at. The microphone is being enhanced by a custom built RF Limited Turbo echo box. Once I balanced all the gain controls this microphone was totally rockin'! Reminded me of the older D-104 lollipop microphones but smoother and just as loud. I've owned 3 different version D-104's in the past. The voice is full bodied and loud. If the gain is too high it will sound hollow, tinny and if you go beyond it could squeal. You have nothing to gain by jacking the level up to that point and don't need to. I have set the microphone about 3/8 of the way, gain on the echo board about 5/8 of the way and dynamike on the radio all the way up. This works the best for my current set up. Sounding pleasantly LOUD & CLEAR! Big key up button and comfortable to operate. The lock button works great.

Overall Rating: 5
Included in the Packaging: Prewired with 4 pin microphone
Product Price: $59.95
Place Purchased: Sparky's CB Shack
Styling: Copy of Astatic 1104C
Housing Material: Rugged Cycolac
Microphone Element: Omni Directional Ceramic
Power: 9 volt
Microphone Cable: 2ft - 6 conductor
Impedance: 5000 ohms max., recommended load of 100 ohms and up; performas well over entire impedance range up to open circuit

Locked Previous topicNext topic