Galaxy 98vhp a solid 4.5

This is an area for posting accurate reviews on products you have used.
(Please read rules and info before posting)

Moderator: JR Moderator

pancake
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Galaxy98vhp, 55hp
Antenna: Willson 1000/5000
Name: R.Brett

Galaxy 98vhp a solid 4.5

Post by pancake » Thursday, 21 October 2010, 13:57 PM

Galaxy 98vhp, first is that it is a big heavy radio, so mounting space and location is the first to consider. Huge power cabels and a big amp draw so a second fuse closer to the battery is a must. The down side is that it must have plenty of air it will automatcly turn its cooling fans on if in a hot closed vehical if you are in ther or not. On a external meter its rms is 80 watts and will swing to 140 mine will peak closed to 200 watt. It does have several neat features, 1 that im not to impresed with is the voice changer doesent sound very clear but that might just be me. I did have a 120 mile contact and had realy good reports from the other end, and they were running amplifiers, I grade this 4.5 because in my teratory I can always contact some one at any time and sometimes thats imposible with any other radio i have had with the same antenia.

Whats in the box: radio, bracket, stock mike, mounting hardware, mike hook, and heavey fused 8 gauge cabel with heavey duty connections
Rx: normal 4
Tx: out standing, evan on ssb 5
Pros: Big Loud audio 5
Cons: Some freq drift with rise and fall of temperature, not so good voice changer, sometimes a small rattel from the cooling fans, but things i can live with.
Mods: Peak and tune, Freq conversion
Anttenia: Willson 1000
Mike: Turner Road King 56 A MUST

Words of warning: DONT LET YOUR BUDDY GRAB THE ANTENNIA WHILE YOUR TALKING

sorry not a speller
[/size][/color]

radiokahoona
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Name: robert jacobs
Home Phone: 0

Re: Galaxy 98vhp a solid 4.5

Post by radiokahoona » Thursday, 21 October 2010, 14:52 PM

i have had my 98vhp for about 4 months, first had it mobile. to big for a jeep wrangler, i have it on the base now, good reports, dont use anything behind it, dont need to, its a good radio. i agree about the voice changer, tried it a few times, all i got was garbally. i give it a 4.5 also,,,,jimbo

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Post by hilltop 439 » Saturday, 13 November 2010, 20:26 PM

I just bot one a month or so ago to use at my base setup the radio is a AUDIO MONSTER. The blue display and meter is cool and it does have a dimmer knob whitch is good because it is bright.The power output is great i have mine set up to deadkey 10 watts on low and swing around 180 watts peak it will do more but why push it . SSB works well not much drift to speak of.I also agree that the vioce changer does sound crappy but who really uses it.The 98vhp does get a little warm with long keydowns but the internal fans do there job. All in all this is a great radio to add to your collection.

... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

TruckBeater
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Radio: SWP/SR Galaxy98VHP
Antenna: Yes
Name: Mike
Home Phone: 951-555-1212

Post by TruckBeater » Monday, 22 November 2010, 10:20 AM

I have a 98vhp, I tried running it in my work rig for a couple weeks. All i got was compliments. If any complaints they were because it was so freeking LOUD! lol I love mine. I did have some SWR issues to deal with at first that need to be worked through.

Grinding gears Fresh daily since 1989

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
-Ronald Reagan

TruckBeater
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by TruckBeater » Saturday, 04 December 2010, 6:42 AM

I am curious as to what antenna you are using? I found the 98s receive a big upgrade from my other box radios. It seems quiet but that's just because the diodes filter the noise so well. I can actually hear things that i could barely hear with my cobras/ uni den. just my impression.

-Ronald Reagan

TruckBeater
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by TruckBeater » Saturday, 04 December 2010, 6:45 AM

a guy at the TA truck stop in Ontario was advertising one for $200 yesterday... I so wanted it,LOL but I so don't need it. I think my main issue is the SWR problem and the weight of the thing. its BIG!

-Ronald Reagan

hilltop 439
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Radio: RCI2980WX/Galaxy98v
Antenna: I MAX 2000/Maco103c
Name: JOSHUA

Post by hilltop 439 » Saturday, 04 December 2010, 7:40 AM

Hello Truckbeater i use my 98vhp as a base . It is hooked to a three element maco beam receive it out of this world. Con[marquee][/marquee]sidered running it for a mobile but for 450 dollars i decided against it .

... THE ONLY WAY TO DISCOVER THE LIMITS OF THE POSSIBLE IS TO GO BEYOND THEM INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE ...

605texas
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: galaxydx98 &dx55
Antenna: hustler &imax
Name: Brad

Post by 605texas » Monday, 22 December 2014, 19:45 PM

I have had my dx98 for almost 5yrs now....I smoked the moffsets last week due to a resistor failure.I talk on it lots mainly dx as I drive my pickup 1000mi per week...it replaced a connex 3300 w/texas star 500 because I was tired of annoying wires and cables running everywhere,I get more 73's with the dx98 than I did with my previous mobile setup. Key with the dx98 is install , ground and antenna(as with any I guess) . Deadkey about 140w n swing to about 230w. Cheaper than connex and star amp...lots more features. Will not buy another radio without variable talkback and echo. Ultimate package to me.5 stars! Bought my son 1 for x-mas 2 yrs ago.
73's from 605

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic